The importance of last nights game

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Who needs Brett when you can have Jody?
Who needs Pierre when you can have sylvain?
Who needs Tomi when you can have sami?

Also gimme some pit-lick and tug-nutt right about now.

Rickard persson go away.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This guy would help us too.

ebay38309a.jpg

As you can see by the sarcasm in here, OP, we are all aware that it was an important game last night. You can look at it two ways: 1 - we let the game slip away in the third and OT when we really needed to buckle down. Or 2 - We came roaring back with a vengeance after we were down 3-0.

There are some negatives from the game (see some of my hasty emotional posts from last night's PGT) but lots of positives too. A *gulp* fluke tying goal and a really terrible OT squeaker is what beat us.

We are stuck with what we have between the pipes. Last night's game told us that if we do acquire another player or 2, we will be beasts.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I saw last night's game differently.

Ottawa lost via a slip on the banana peal finish. Montreal was out played, got a ton of breaks, and had Carey Price playing on a level that would make Dominik Hasek jealous.

There were obviously weak points by Ottawa, but they out shot Montreal by an insane amount for a majority of the game. Ottawa looked like the better team.

Anderson wasn't great, but he wasn't awful either. I'm a bigger Lehner fan, but there is definitely a bias against Anderson here. Before last nights game, he had a .932 save percentage during this 7 game hot streak. The second best goalie in the league has a .933. He's very inconsistent when you look at the big picture of the entire season, but at his peak, he is putting up elite numbers.

Obviously when you get 18 out of a possible 20 points in a 10 game span, it's time to start thinking about blowing up the team. The team is finally playing at an elite level, going toe to toe with Boston, Pittsburgh, Colorado (dominated them for most of the game, lost in OT), hell.....they even beat St.Louis. Under last year's format, the team would be 2nd or 3rd in the East.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Schaefer - Yashin - Alf
Foligno - Vermette - Hossa
Fisher - Laich - Havlat
Daugavins - Kelly - Eaves

Chara - Meszaros
Lee - Rundblad
Volchenkov - Benoit

Emery

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah it was an important game, would have been nice to get the win but at least we got a point out of a division rival.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Last nights game wasn't hugely important. We were not playing a team we are chasing/competing with Tor/Phi/NYR/Wsh/NJ/Clb/Det are the teams we have to worry about.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Imagine if the Senators had the center depth they do now, and the right wings from the early 2000s?

Spezza -- Alfie
Turris -- Hossa
Zibby - - Havlat

wouldn't even need left wingers.

dennilfloss

Yes I love disco!
Jun 7, 2011
Ottawa
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I see this loss as the hockey gods paying us back for when we beat the Canadians last time and we should have lost if a Habs goal that was definitely good would not have been negated by a quick whistle. So I'm not bitter about it.

sensrmyheart*

I could always pull a TheMarsVolchenkov and flee the boards I guess..

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
greatly enjoyed the game even though we came up short

i care more about how we play than the results, if you play well, the results will come

we play our division rivals a million times a season, best not to get hung up about a single game

the Sens management will have been happy with the game, but if they couldn't make a move when they were desperate, don't expect a move when they aren't desperate. and if there is one, it'll be mildly exciting at best

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
The team blew it in the first. Karlsson and Turris failed to cover the breakaway on the first goal and Stone just got beat terribly on the 3rd (his penalty that resulted in the second goal wasn't great either), and the Cowen own goal was just a damn lucky bounce (or unfortunate), all key mistakes that Montreal capitalized on. Ignoring that we played a dominant 2 periods of hockey and a good 3rd. The only real OMG moment was the weak goal in OT.

Every game is important and if this team can consistently play to the same level as the other night, more often than not you get the 2 pts. Teams won't be as lucky as Montreal was on their chances and have unreal goatending to keep them in it every time.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The team blew it in the first. Karlsson and Turris failed to cover the breakaway on the first goal and Stone just got beat terribly on the 3rd (his penalty that resulted in the second goal wasn't great either), and the Cowen own goal was just a damn lucky bounce (or unfortunate), all key mistakes that Montreal capitalized on. Ignoring that we played a dominant 2 periods of hockey and a good 3rd. The only real OMG moment was the weak goal in OT.

Every game is important and if this team can consistently play to the same level as the other night, more often than not you get the 2 pts. Teams won't be as lucky as Montreal was on their chances and have unreal goatending to keep them in it every time.

I think the important part of the game is how we bounce back today against the Rangers. If we can put that bad luck behind us and play another strong game today, then I really think we'll be in good shape to steal a wildcard spot for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad