NBA The impact of Zion Williamson potentially wanting out of New Orleans

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
While this of course hasn't been confirmed by Zion himself there's plenty of reason to think he has no interest in playing for the Pelicans. His continue injury setbacks along with Redick's comments about him being a poor teammate and the fact that he never reached out to CJ McCollum after the trade give plenty of indication that he has no investment in the franchise and plans on leaving as soon as he can (if he doesn't ask out first).

Just seems the league will be in a really crappy place if we get to the point where small market teams can't even count on being able to keep their young talent through their rookie contracts. While I certainly don't think every player will follow suit, it's been trending this way for awhile and if Zion does end up getting traded somewhere and succeeding right away, some players will certainly be inspired by it. How damaging do you think this would end up being for the league?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
While this of course hasn't been confirmed by Zion himself there's plenty of reason to think he has no interest in playing for the Pelicans. His continue injury setbacks along with Redick's comments about him being a poor teammate and the fact that he never reached out to CJ McCollum after the trade give plenty of indication that he has no investment in the franchise and plans on leaving as soon as he can (if he doesn't ask out first).

Just seems the league will be in a really crappy place if we get to the point where small market teams can't even count on being able to keep their young talent through their rookie contracts. While I certainly don't think every player will follow suit, it's been trending this way for awhile and if Zion does end up getting traded somewhere and succeeding right away, some players will certainly be inspired by it. How damaging do you think this would end up being for the league?
It would be damaging, but I'm not sure he even wants to be a great player. He's really out of shape, and his body likely can't take playing at that weight with his style for long.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
New Orleans got Chris Paul and Anthony Davis to sign deals after their entry level deals to expire. Then they wanted out 'cause the team was crap.

That said they should trade Zion to some team dumb enough to believe they can get him to take his diet seriously.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Zion is on the path to being a Jamarcus Russell and eat himself out of the league

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
At least Davis and Paul gave the team a chance. Zion wants out after putting in minimal effort. They even brought in an expericned GM + coach for him and have a decent core, went out and got McCollum yet he doesn't want to be there. CP3 and Davis were stuck playing with David West, Rasul Butler and Tyreke Evans.

Pels will just end up drafting another super prospect like the last 2 times their star player wanted out :rolleyes:

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
FF5fsLnWQAEKDu8

Yikes he is huge!

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
CP3 and Davis were stuck playing with David West, Rasul Butler and Tyreke Evans.

Pels will just end up drafting another super prospect like the last 2 times their star player wanted out :rolleyes:
Ey now AD had a team with Rondo , Cousins and Holiday. He still wasn't happy, he was a diva cause if Boogie doesn't get injured that is one solid role piece away from contending

Reactions: hamzarocks

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Thing is that was one of his biggest assets pre draft. The kid was a jacked up tank already at Duke and muscled out

He actually should have started losing weight after he was drafted. I remember Barkley saying that and he's a guy that has some experience in that specific area. Even then it was likely that he would have problems at that size in the NBA. But it seems he's gone in the other direction.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Ey now AD had a team with Rondo , Cousins and Holiday. He still wasn't happy, he was a diva cause if Boogie doesn't get injured that is one solid role piece away from contending
i wouldn't call AD a diva. if cousins doesn't get injured i can't imagine he would've been wanting out a year later

Reactions: Voight

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

It's already damaging. It seems there's this stigma that life sucks unless they're in LA or NY. Then follow it up the next morning with SAS throwing a temper tantrum the Pels got Zion actually saying "MAN I THOUGHT AT LEAST ONE OF THE LAKERS OR KNICKS WOULD GET HIM AND NOW NEITHER OF THEM WILL! I THOUGHT IT WAS GONNA BE OKAY!!!" And now we've got a guy who's missed more time than he's played and there's no evidence he gives a shit

Zion either isn't taking this seriously because he doesn't want to play for NOLA, is completely aloof or this is a generational bust.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It's already damaging. It seems there's this stigma that life sucks unless they're in LA or NY. Then follow it up the next morning with SAS throwing a temper tantrum the Pels got Zion actually saying "MAN I THOUGHT AT LEAST ONE OF THE LAKERS OR KNICKS WOULD GET HIM AND NOW NEITHER OF THEM WILL! I THOUGHT IT WAS GONNA BE OKAY!!!" And now we've got a guy who's missed more time than he's played and there's no evidence he gives a shit

Zion either isn't taking this seriously because he doesn't want to play for NOLA, is completely aloof or this is a generational bust.

and Ja Morant has been sensational, he’s taken the Grizzlies to new heights.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
and Ja Morant has been sensational, he’s taken the Grizzlies to new heights.

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving team. One of my all time favorite memories was Grizz vs Spurs game 3 Memorial Day weekend 2013. I'm in a hotel in Daytona on my vacation getaway sick as a dog from the worst sunburn you've ever seen. My ex leaves to get me AfterBurn cream. I swear it took her 2 hours. But I didn't care because I'm over here shivering my ass off chugging Gatorade being miserable but yet I get to watch this amazing game go to OT and a building scream "WHOOP THAT TRICK!" at like 120 db. I completely forgot about how crap I felt.

I hope Ja wins it all in Memphis. The NBA desperately needs more parity like this

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It couldn't have happened to a more deserving team. One of my all time favorite memories was Grizz vs Spurs game 3 Memorial Day weekend 2013. I'm in a hotel in Daytona on my vacation getaway sick as a dog from the worst sunburn you've ever seen. My ex leaves to get me AfterBurn cream. I swear it took her 2 hours. But I didn't care because I'm over here shivering my ass off chugging Gatorade being miserable but yet I get to watch this amazing game go to OT and a building scream "WHOOP THAT TRICK!" at like 120 db. I completely forgot about how crap I felt.

I hope Ja wins it all in Memphis. The NBA desperately needs more parity like this

Not really sure what happened to Zion once he got drafted, I guess all those endorsement dollars clouded his mind. He seriously needs to get back into basketball shape like he was at Duke. Just feel like when he got into the NBA, he was gonna be dominate…now he’s just lazy and overweight.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not really sure what happened to Zion once he got drafted, I guess all those endorsement dollars clouded his mind. He seriously needs to get back into basketball shape like he was at Duke. Just feel like when he got into the NBA, he was gonna be dominate…now he’s just lazy and overweight.

I'm making an enormous assumption here but I think he just legitimately does not want to be a Pelican. He was starstruck thinking he was going to be a Laker or a Knick and instead it's Gumbo and Po' Boy. Given that he's likely predisposed to weight issues, he's not taking anything seriously. Like he is BIG right now. He spent the best year of his life at arguably the best basketball program in America being told he's special and he probably thinks he's too special for where he is.

Again. This is an enormous assumption. But given the big market glorification of the NBA I think some guys do get starstruck. But when a guy like Ja goes to a team like Memphis and it literally blows up, it's easy to call a quaint city along the Mississippi your home.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I'm making an enormous assumption here but I think he just legitimately does not want to be a Pelican. He was starstruck thinking he was going to be a Laker or a Knick and instead it's Gumbo and Po' Boy. Given that he's likely predisposed to weight issues, he's not taking anything seriously. Like he is BIG right now. He spent the best year of his life at arguably the best basketball program in America being told he's special and he probably thinks he's too special for where he is.

Again. This is an enormous assumption. But given the big market glorification of the NBA I think some guys do get starstruck. But when a guy like Ja goes to a team like Memphis and it literally blows up, it's easy to call a quaint city along the Mississippi your home.
of course this was not the story we were told with him coming into being drafted. People said he was one of the most humble blue chip prospects in a while, ect ect

Who knows exactly what his deal is. But what I find interesting about that team is they always seem to have good pieces, they just can't put it together.

CJ-Ingram-Jones-Zion-Jval is interesting AF, I would love to actually be able to see it

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Something will need to change if Zion forces the Pelicans to trade him.

I'm all for player empowerment but this would be a step too far. The guy has played ****ing 85 games in the NBA and he acts like he makes the rules.

This isn't a situation where a guy gives a legit effort and then decides his talent is better suited elsewhere. It's not like Anthony Davis giving 7 years to the Pels, having it go nowhere and deciding he wants out (even if he did handle the exit a bit...poorly) or a Karl-Anthony Towns playing out his rookie deal, signing an extension in Minny and then deciding that it's not gonna work. Those guys at least *tried* to make it work in those scenarios.

Zion has done nothing but get injured, get fat and bitch and moan to his family. You have earned nothing in the league and you will be treated as such.

It's unfair to small markets everywhere if Zion just brute forces his way out and it'll guaranteed be something that comes up in the next round of CBA negotiations.

Reactions: PeteWorrell and MMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad