The Hump; why is Minnesota struggling to get over it?

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
I never said he didnt score clutch goals did I? I was referring to Kane going coast to coast after the Wild had just tied game 1 to give the Hawks the Lead and saying "showtime" thats the type of player the Wild needs. A guy that can take over a game at any moment

Our personnel is fine, imo. There are only a handful of guys in the league that can do that.

Teamwork >

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
-The Mumps has turned what should be a top 5 blueline into a mediocre one most nights.

-Vanek hasn't found his comfort zone yet. He's looked good lately and is 3rd in pts. Pominville can't bury anything, often whiffs altogether. Both will improve.

-Centers have been really bad. Production wise, it is quite alarming. Mikko and FBJ - to lesser extent - have picked it up of late. But still. This team needs much better play from our centers from if we want to win.

-Kuemper has been wildly inconsistent. Backstrom just scares the hell out of me.

-The sterile PP. Just stupefying at times to see Koivu and Pominville up top creating no good looks. Need to switch it up. Can't get worse

Last edited:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Like posters have said a lot of it is fine. Biggest issues are PP, injuries, and bad puck luck.

Keys are to get healthy and to get line combos together and gel.

I haven't been able to figure out if it's good or bad that all of our lines play such different styles. I think it's fine and it's good because it's harder for teams to shut down each style, but we've gotta get the right players who think the same way...especially in the offensive zone together.

FBJ likes to play a transition offensive game and try fancy plays and counterattack. Play him with guys who think similiarly.

Koivu likes to control the puck methodically and will work the boards and the cycle until the other team has scrambled around enough in the defensive zone that someone gets out of position.

Our 3rd line is kind of a combo of both but they seem to rely (Haula/Nino) on a heavy forecheck and not giving the other D time and space, creating turnovers, taking advantage of their speed, and Nino is a 1 man puck protection/cycle crew down low.

4th line likes to get it deep and forecheck and make the opponent cough up the puck as well.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So damned frustrating that we don't ever get to see this complete roster even play.

Can we even make this excuse? A bunch of teams go through injuries. The Wild certainly have injuries in the past. I mean, injuries happen in the NHL.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Can we even make this excuse? A bunch of teams go through injuries. The Wild certainly have injuries in the past. I mean, injuries happen in the NHL.

Have you seen the different between the team's goals for, goals against, wins/losses when all 4 of the top 4 are playing, and when one of them isn't?

The Wild have a top 5-10 set of top 4 defenders, and they have only played just a handful of games with all 4 of them due to mostly the mumps.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Have you seen the different between the team's goals for, goals against, wins/losses when all 4 of the top 4 are playing, and when one of them isn't?

The Wild have a top 5-10 set of top 4 defenders, and they have only played just a handful of games with all 4 of them due to mostly the mumps.

That's more of a depth issue than anything...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's more of a depth issue than anything...

Everything's a depth issue with you.

Suter - Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Prosser-Folin
Ballard-Dumba

was plenty of depth heading into the year.

Today we had a lineup of...

Suter - Brodin
Prosser - Folin
Falk - Bickel

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Everything's a depth issue with you.

Suter - Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Prosser-Folin
Ballard-Dumba

was plenty of depth heading into the year.

Today we had a lineup of...

Suter - Brodin
Prosser - Folin
Falk - Bickel

Where the hell was Spurgeon? Oh...stomach flu...

And yeah, everything has been a depth issue because Minnesota has always had depth issues with their team. Even with Spurgeon and Scandella out, Folin and Dumba and Falk and Prosser and Blum should have been enough to cover at least one game. No one is expecting Minnesota to have an in tact defense for the entire year. Losing 1 top 4 should be expected, losing 2 is bad but that's a worst case scenario. Even IF they lose two; Minnesota should have enough depth to cover one or two games if two of their defensemen are out with injury or other issues.

Except Dumba hasn't developed the way the organization has wanted, Blum is stuck in Iowa for some odd reason, Olofsson is also injured and...

As for 3 of the top 8? Ballard has been scratched/out for almost as many games as he has played. Scandella was known to be out, Spurgeon is the only one that was surprising but players get sick. Scandella will be back next game.

As for the rest of the year;

Buffalo, Dallas, and Arizona are the only games where Minnesota played with two of their top 4 defensemen out. They won all three games.

It happens. The Wild should know that Spurgeon gets banged up in the season. It sucked that Brodin and then Scandella were out but they had their top 3 for most of the season.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Except Dumba hasn't developed the way the organization has wanted, Blum is stuck in Iowa for some odd reason, Olofsson is also injured and...

How did the organization expect a 20 year old defenseman to develop?

I thought he was still developing.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
How did the organization expect a 20 year old defenseman to develop?

I thought he was still developing.

He is. But because Trouba and Maataa were drafted after him (and Forsberg at forward) are contributing to their respective clubs at the NHL level, Dumba seems like a bust. I still have faith in him. It's pretty common knowledge that defensemen take longer to develop in general. Not so sure why/if the organization thinks Dumba isn't developing like they expected him to..

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Its the coach. Yeo is still learning how to be a head coach. Koivu, Parise, Pomms, Vanek, Suter and many more are not in need of being taught the game of hockey. They are in need of a mind to bring it all together and fill in the holes. Yeo is not that guy. He is burning out Suter becasue he has no idea how to play non superstar d men and panics under the pressure of having an on paper Cup contending team.

Injuries. The Ducks have won their past 7 last i checked Perry was missing from 4 of them.

Great teams dominate when healthy and weather the injuries. We barely play above avareage when healthy and tank when down.

If we miss the play offs i'd fire Yeo.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
My theory is because Coyle sucks.

Look at his stats. He has 1 point in the last 12 games and 0 goals in the last 25 games. Yeo still gives him 15 minutes per night. He is always making stupid plays and has no scoring touch.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Its the coach. Yeo is still learning how to be a head coach. Koivu, Parise, Pomms, Vanek, Suter and many more are not in need of being taught the game of hockey. They are in need of a mind to bring it all together and fill in the holes. Yeo is not that guy. He is burning out Suter becasue he has no idea how to play non superstar d men and panics under the pressure of having an on paper Cup contending team.

Injuries. The Ducks have won their past 7 last i checked Perry was missing from 4 of them.

Great teams dominate when healthy and weather the injuries. We barely play above avareage when healthy and tank when down.

If we miss the play offs i'd fire Yeo.

It's amazing what happens when you have solid goaltending.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He is. But because Trouba and Maataa were drafted after him (and Forsberg at forward) are contributing to their respective clubs at the NHL level, Dumba seems like a bust. I still have faith in him. It's pretty common knowledge that defensemen take longer to develop in general. Not so sure why/if the organization thinks Dumba isn't developing like they expected him to..

It's classic glass half empty syndrome.

Dumba was drafted after Griffin Reinhart and just ahead of Derrick Pouliot and Slater Koekkoek, and they haven't even played an NHL game yet, let alone score.

You don't see Pens fans calling Pouliot a bust - why recently they even thought the Wild needed to add to Niederreiter to get him.

I'm pretty sure the Wild are quite happy with their pick, even in retrospect.

If Burns and Scandella have taught us anything, it's that it can takes years for d'men to have the toolbox catch up with the tools.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Dumba was drafted after Griffin Reinhart and just ahead of Derrick Pouliot and Slater Koekkoek, and they haven't even played an NHL game yet, let alone score.

Pouliot scored his first NHL goal tonight. Griffin Reinhart was considered a huge reach at the 4th slot. Slater Koekkoek, I can't comment on because I haven't seen or heard about him.

If Burns and Scandella have taught us anything, it's that it can takes years for d'men to have the toolbox catch up with the tools.

First off, the 7tth overall compared to the 20th overall (and considered a reach at that point) and a 2nd round pick? Yeah that's comparable. Burns was considered a major project at that point and had only one real good season as a RIGHT WINGER. They finally moved him back to defense. Scandella was a 2nd round pick, so he didn't have a ton of expectations.

If you pick 7th overall, either you were hit with a lot of injuries, your team woefully under performed for the season, or you are a crappy team in need of a prospect.

This isn't what Dumba is doing now but what he's been doing. His first season after being drafted was a massive disappointment. This is fact by all the reports coming out. He even got cut from the WJC. Next season, he had a terrible WJC (though he apparently had the flu) and was still struggling. This is a guy that should have dominated the WHL but didn't.

Billy Mays Here*

Inconsistent goaltending and sub par centers. This team will never go anywhere until they have a true franchise center. Koivu isn't good enough, never has been, and Granlund is a solid 2nd line center in the making, but not a franchise one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad