The Hump; why is Minnesota struggling to get over it?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Let's talk about Minnesota and the hump that is top 8 teams or rather some elite teams (or teams playing like elite teams).

Minnesota's record against teams in the top 8 is 3 wins, 7 losses and 1 overtime win. Their record against teams not in the top 8 is 8 wins, 4 losses and 2 overtime wins. Their four losses are against LA (twice), Ottawa and New Jersey. LA I would consider an elite team that plays like crap during the season. Ottawa is okay. New Jersey sucks.

Currently, they are only winning 27% of their games against opponents that are ranked in the top 8 of the standings in regulation. It jumps up to 36% if you add in the overtime win.

Why is that?

Let's face it, Minnesota should be an elite team with players like Koivu, Granlund, Pominville, Parise, and Vanek. Not to mention el Nino and Zucker providing complementary scoring. This is an elite top 9 that when producing should be in the top 5-10 for offense easily. The only thing they have going for them is a nice group of defensemen when they are healthy (stupid mumps and other ailments). They have great depth at defense with Folin and Dumba currently nesting in the AHL/NHL. Scandella, Spurgeon and Brodin have all taken that step up and have shown they are not only capable defensemen but the definition of what top 2-4 defenseman should be.

When Fletcher talks about this team being 'soft', I think he's looking in the wrong direction. Don't get me wrong, Veilleux, Carter and all the other plugs and pugs that have rotated through our roster add a bit of a spark to the team because they are fighting to keep their job. Even Parise adds a bit of spark to this team and he's the very definition of a franchise player because he speaks his mind and can elevate his game when we need him too. But the other guys?

I think this team is really soft mentally. They have been soft mentally. They seem to play a bit passive and not really aggressive. That's why I think Zucker has been a huge boon for this team. He stood up for Carter in the first game and adds a bit of sandpaper and wrinkle to his game.

Coyle did this once as well but he plays a bit too passive now that the NHL came down on him. Koivu is - soft. Vanek is soft. Poms is soft. But I think they are also a bit mentally soft and that's why we're really struggling with elite teams is that they don't know how to dig in and play. You see it in Kuemper and the team.

It's frustrating because this team should be an elite team by now. We have the offense, we have the defense and we have the goaltending (if he keeps his head in the game). We've seen what this team can do. 7 goals against Tampa Bay. Running roughshod over Colorado. This team is good, but I don't know they struggle so much with top 8 teams.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Here's what I see.

1. Goaltending - Not much to say here other than we need a reliable, number 1 goalie while in our best years to challenge for a cup. I've been against a trade for a while, but they should very strongly consider trading for/signing a goalie at the end of the year after Harding is gone.

2. Consistency - Team and individual. Koivu is streaky, Granlund hasn't been the same. Coyle looks absolutely dominant out there for a couple of games, then goes invisible for the next 15. The PP of course. Remember the team we saw the first 10 games? We could have been 10-0 with a little more puck luck. That team is no where to be found right now.

3. Centers - Mentioned in the previous point, but our centers have been awful. Koivu and Granny have picked it up in recent games, though I think there's cause for major concern with Granlund and Haula. At least Carter's not our top scoring C anymore.

4. The bottom pairing - it seems like our bottom pairing is out there for 75% of goals against at times. A little bit of hyperbole there, but for the most part whoever has been there has been pretty bad.

5. Mumps - why don't we trade them away already? :sarcasm: I don't really see it as an excuse.

------------------

Now obviously we're not a physically tough team (last in hits I think?), but I don't think it's as big of deal as some people say. Getting Cooke back should help somewhat (what's his deal?).

Also, I wanted to mention that I don't think a lack of aggression is the problem, but maybe we just lack players with true 'killer instinct'. (you can debate if this is real or not)

Last edited:

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Goaltending and Powerplay
@ChadGraff: RT @TSNAnalytics
Top NHL Score Adjusted Fenwick 2014-15
1. #MNWild 55.9
2. Chicago 55.7
3. T.B. 55.0
4. NYI 54.8
5. Nashville 54.3

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Goaltending and Powerplay. Elite teams have a top 10 PP and good goaltending for the most part.

Haven't looked at the stats but i feel like we are scoring enough goals. For me, it's mostly goaltending. Think we need to give Kuemps a rest and ride Backstrom for awhile.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
No Elite player that can take over a game. Chicago has Kane, St.Louis Tarasenko, Anaheim. Has Perry, Getzlaf, Until the Wild can get that type of guy they will be in the 2nd tier IMO

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i kinda feel if the rest of the team was doing their thing , parise is an elite player that could be the difference. he cant do it all by himself. if our top 6 was on pace we'd be doing great thats whats SOOOOO frustrating. pommer & vanek should have 9G each for 30G pace. coyle, granlund , koivu should have 6G each min for 20G pace. throw in a little better goaltending and boom your at the top of the div. i still think a little wake up trade is needed.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Parise is a great player but he isnt the type of player to take over a game, thats the type of player the Wild needs

TheInstigator

Nov 7, 2013
Parise is a great player but he isnt the type of player to take over a game, thats the type of player the Wild needs

Totally disagree. He can absolutely take over a game. Not as frequently as other elite players, though.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Totally disagree. He can absolutely take over a game. Not as frequently as other elite players, though.

Do you remember Patrick Kanes goal against the Wild in the Playoffs. Parise couldnt do that. that is a player we need. I love Parise but he doesbt strike fear into opposing teams

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Yes it would be nice to have a dynamic gamebreaker on our team like Crosby, Kane, Seguin etc. But look at the LA Kings both years they won the cup. Their best offensive player is Kopitar. They do have Quick though which makes a monster difference.

My opinion you need to have a gamebreaking player or elite goalie to win the cup. Right now, Wild has neither.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I'm firmly starting to believe that we wont be doing anything for the goaltending next summer either, except sign Kuemper for another bridge deal. After that, maybe as Bäcks deal is over.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I'm firmly starting to believe that we wont be doing anything for the goaltending next summer either, except sign Kuemper for another bridge deal. After that, maybe as Bäcks deal is over.

Well Backstrom only has a modified NTC,so if one of those 10 teams is in need of a goalie who knows what can happen,not highly likely but not impossible.Signing Kuemper to another bridge deal before the season may not be a good move unless he gets on track and starts playing very well consistantly.

SaltyCaptain

Sep 4, 2014
bPV2UqZ.png

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
i kinda feel if the rest of the team was doing their thing , parise is an elite player that could be the difference. he cant do it all by himself. if our top 6 was on pace we'd be doing great thats whats SOOOOO frustrating. pommer & vanek should have 9G each for 30G pace. coyle, granlund , koivu should have 6G each min for 20G pace. throw in a little better goaltending and boom your at the top of the div. i still think a little wake up trade is needed.

Parise is not an elite player or a superstar. He is a complimentary "star". He's on the same level as our other veterans, like Vanek, Pominville, and a Koivu. All good players, but definitely not elite. None of those guys can consistently win or take over games by themselves, like a Crosby, Malkin, Perry, Getzlaf, Stamkos, etc. It would definitely be nice to have an elite forward, but they are hard to come by obviously.

The only elite player on the Wild is Suter. Top 5 defensemen in the league.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Dem sofies by Kuemper - I really hope these are growing pains, and he will learn to eliminate them from his game. He could still be a stud goalie.

But right now he's stealing games from us instead of for us.

Oh yeah, dat powerplay....

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Dem sofies by Kuemper - I really hope these are growing pains, and he will learn to eliminate them from his game. He could still be a stud goalie.

But right now he's stealing games from us instead of for us.

Oh yeah, dat powerplay....

He has stole some games for us this season.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
Do you remember Patrick Kanes goal against the Wild in the Playoffs. Parise couldnt do that. that is a player we need. I love Parise but he doesbt strike fear into opposing teams

Yeah, Parise definitely can't score clutch goals.

See the GWG tip he had with <5 minutes last post-season...
See his Olympic Gold Medal goal with <5 seconds remaining...

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well my point is really add 20G spread across our 25 games and you add 6-8 points. if only pommer +4; vanek +7; granlund +3; koivu +2 & coyle +4 our team would be smokin hot! plus a couple more from haula. then the msg board would be saying is the cup party at your house or mine?

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He has stole some games for us this season.

Lately?

He is on a downward slope right now, and has been for a while. When you are routinely outshooting you opponents, sometimes 2-1, your goalie should be winning those games for you.

There have been a few sloppy games from the d, giving up odd man rushes, but they have been rare.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Lately?

He is on a downward slope right now, and has been for a while. When you are routinely outshooting you opponents, sometimes 2-1, your goalie should be winning those games for you.

There have been a few sloppy games from the d, giving up odd man rushes, but they have been rare.

Lately no but he has stolen games this season. The ones in Dallas twice(yes he is the reason dallas came back but was also the reason they were able to win in overtime)and the one against the flyers

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Yeah, Parise definitely can't score clutch goals.

See the GWG tip he had with <5 minutes last post-season...
See his Olympic Gold Medal goal with <5 seconds remaining...

I never said he didnt score clutch goals did I? I was referring to Kane going coast to coast after the Wild had just tied game 1 to give the Hawks the Lead and saying "showtime" thats the type of player the Wild needs. A guy that can take over a game at any moment

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
It seems the Wild can't get everything firing on all cylinders. Like last year, Wild had excellent goaltending, no matter who was in net, but they couldn't score any goals, so they were losing any time the opposition put up three goals atleast.
Now this year, the Wild have been scoring plenty of goals, but goaltending has been way below average. Some of the goaltending woes are a result of injuries/illness to d-man, and putting an atrocious third pairing out there every game (combination of Prosser, Dumba, Folin, Ballard, Falk).
Special teams also play a big role in not getting over the hump. They didn't score a PP goal in the first round against Chicago two years ago, and they didn't score many PP goals last year at all in the playoffs either. They also had a pretty bad PK last year, but that has greatly improved this year, while the PP continues to look terrible.

This team is just intriguing to watch in my opinion, I know everyone of us is just waiting and waiting and waiting for the Wild to finally take the next step
(thats why I keep coming back), it just seems its taking way to long. It will happen eventually, right?

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
Just a hunch, but we'd probably be in first place if they were called the Sacramento Wild or the Las Vegas Wild

You're probably more right than anyone wants to acknowledge.

Goaltending, officiating, the power play, the mumps, and the lack of Cooke are the reasons I see this team being where it is instead where it should be.

Where should it be? IMO it should be fighting for the top spot in the West right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad