Salary Cap: The Hotdog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If Scuderi was down to go to Arizona (unlikely) I think there is a certain 4C who is stellar on faceoffs who played for us. Can't remember his name though.

:sarcasm:

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he was always on IR, so it doesn't surprise me that his name would slip your memory.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he was always on IR, so it doesn't surprise me that his name would slip your memory.

Well Scuderi doesn't have a full NTC, he has a pick of I think a few teams he will not play for, the rest are fair game. He's holding the defense back and hurting the cap, I am hoping JR is exploring his options with him, Scuderi even if you eat like 10% of his contract, is worth moving him even then.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Even if you eat 15% of Scuderi's contract, that's just 500k that the Pens take on, that's 1m eaten the next two years combined. A team would definitely take on a 2.875m/yr veteran 3rd pairing guy, he's built for the West, ship his slow ass back.

LA could definitely use him and with a cap discount of 15%, they might think about it. If the Kings offer a higher pick, I would go as high as 20% retained (2.7m/yr cap hit).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Who's better? Kane or Kessel?

Kane has never had to carry the load offensively the way Kessel has. If we're talking about who's a better passer and can slow down the game, Kane wins, everywhere else, Kessel wins and that's not me saying this because one is a Penguin, it's something I have always seen.

Kane has had a decent core around him for his entire career - guys like Sharp, Toews, and Hossa for a large part of it.

Edit: He's also had Joel Q as his coach his entire career, he sheltered Kane a ton to start off and allowed him to develop, Kessel had some tough things to go through right off the bat from his NHL career, the testicular cancer issue, then traded to a team that never once got him any decent offensive support or a coach that knew how to utilize him best.

Last edited:

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Kane has never had to carry the load offensively the way Kessel has. If we're talking about who's a better passer and can slow down the game, Kane wins, everywhere else, Kessel wins and that's not me saying this because one is a Penguin, it's something I have always seen.

Kane has had a decent core around him for his entire career - guys like Sharp, Toews, and Hossa for a large part of it.

Yeah...it's an interesting debate. Both have put up similar numbers...but Kane has been playing with Toews and Hossa. Kessel has played with Bozak and Van Riemsdyk. So it'll be interesting to see what stats Kessel can put up playing with Crosby/Malkin/Hornqvist/Perron.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah...it's an interesting debate. Both have put up similar numbers...but Kane has been playing with Toews and Hossa. Kessel has played with Bozak and Van Riemsdyk. So it'll be interesting to see what stats Kessel can put up playing with Crosby/Malkin/Hornqvist/Perron.

It's not even that, Kessel only had JVR for the past 3 seasons or so and they didn't play together often, Kessel was mostly trying to make magic happen with the likes of Kadri, Grabovski, Komarov, Bozak, and whatever other junk they tried to throw on his line, like the always gimped Lupul.

Kane had the benefit of an amazing coach and a solid core.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's not even that, Kessel only had JVR for the past 3 seasons or so and they didn't play together often, Kessel was mostly trying to make magic happen with the likes of Kadri, Grabovski, Komarov, Bozak, and whatever other junk they tried to throw on his line, like the always gimped Lupul.

Kane had the benefit of an amazing coach and a solid core.

Ya man...it's pretty awesome to think the Penguins added a Patrick Kane caliber player for way less of a cap hit.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ya man...it's pretty awesome to think the Penguins added a Patrick Kane caliber player for way less of a cap hit.

I'm pretty stoked about the possibilities, just from having a guy that can score off the rush is awesome, the Pens need someone like that. It's why I like him with Crosby more than Malkin. Crosby likes to score off the rush, Malkin likes to speed up and then enter the blueline and do his dipsy-doodle drop off, hand back, go to net stuff where Perron & Hornqvist would be his best assets.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
According to General Fanager the Pens almost have $5 mil in cap space, and only need to re-sign Bennett, does that seem correct? cause if so they could easily sign Fehr and leave some cap space for injuries and the trade deadline

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
According to General Fanager the Pens almost have $5 mil in cap space, and only need to re-sign Bennett, does that seem correct? cause if so they could easily sign Fehr and leave some cap space for injuries and the trade deadline

The team still wants to find a 50%+ 4th line C. So there's that, also Bennett. The rest are spots that can be filled from within, mostly that 4th line. If you put Sundqvist as a LW/RW, promote Farnham, then you save some money there by adding a 4th line C for that pair and let them get some experience.

Defense - Need some cuts, maybe even a forward since the top 9 is very heavy right now.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
The team still wants to find a 50%+ 4th line C. So there's that, also Bennett. The rest are spots that can be filled from within, mostly that 4th line. If you put Sundqvist as a LW/RW, promote Farnham, then you save some money there by adding a 4th line C for that pair and let them get some experience.

Defense - Need some cuts, maybe even a forward since the top 9 is very heavy right now.

Who knows maybe Max Lap will be be back, its something that will just happen one day out of nowhere.

I'm still in the camp of sign Emery cause imo if Zatkoff is in net then you might as well chalk it up as a loss.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
changing the topic a little: anyone else amazed at the huge contract Semin signed? All of that interest in him was truly truly amazing.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
changing the topic a little: anyone else amazed at the huge contract Semin signed? All of that interest in him was truly truly amazing.

Meanwhile, John Scott got signed. :laugh:

Weirdly enough their goal scoring prowess wasn't that different. Semin got 6 in 57 and Scott got 3 in 38. I feel sorry for Semin. I'd give him league minimum if he takes Scuderi to Russia and leave him there without any identifying papers.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Meanwhile, John Scott got signed. :laugh:

Weirdly enough their goal scoring prowess wasn't that different. Semin got 6 in 57 and Scott got 3 in 38. I feel sorry for Semin. I'd give him league minimum if he takes Scuderi to Russia and leave him there without any identifying papers.

I would take him on a cheap 1-year deal, as well. But it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

Even Chris Stewart took a cheap, 1-year deal.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It would have been nice to see Scott feed Dubinsky his lunch. The guy can't play hockey worth ****, but there are certain players (e.g., Rinaldo) who aren't focused on making plays, particularly when our star are on the ice.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I doubt you'll see another FA signed unless they manage to trade some money out. JR mentioned they're comfortable going into the season with Sundqvist or Porter as 4C.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I think a lot of 4th line guys are holding out for that 1+ area. Once August starts to come around they'll realize it won't happen.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Anyone hear anything about how people have been training this offseason? Would be interesting to know who's hitting it hard this offseason.

Pouliot's with Gary Roberts working hard.
Letang is back at it after being cleared many weeks ago. Getting married this or next weekend.
Maata's working out back in Finland with a pro team.
Sid spent 2 or 3 weeks in LA with his trainer. Back at home now and will be back to training soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad