Speculation: The HOLY CRAP WHAT A CRAZY SEASON appreciation station

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think that we're all so excited about the Cup that we're forgetting what a crazy season this has been, with so many ups and downs. I don't want this to be a call out thread, though. Let's make this a place to share the craziness of this season, from MAF to Guentzel, from Sid winning the Rocket, to Letang being banished to the Nether Zone for all of eternity.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I appreciate Ian Cole. That guy has turned into a phenomenal defenseman over the last 2 years. He brings it every single game.

I think what differentiates this team from most is that we have guys who show up when games matter. Hornqvist, Bonino, Dumoulin, Murray, Cole, Rust...they all show up when the playoffs start. Nothing that happens is too big for them. That's a huge reason why we are sitting here now.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Hats off to WBS

We struggled at times through the season with up to almost half the Team being call ups from WBS but they all not only stepped up but had a chance to get to know the Team and systems. To a man they were relied on and were not just there for a few shifts. This helped with the resilience and robustness of the Team and system in the playoffs allowing them to bend but not beak.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I appreciate Ian Cole. That guy has turned into a phenomenal defenseman over the last 2 years. He brings it every single game.

I think what differentiates this team from most is that we have guys who show up when games matter. Hornqvist, Bonino, Dumoulin, Murray, Cole, Rust...they all show up when the playoffs start. Nothing that happens is too big for them. That's a huge reason why we are sitting here now.

Couldn't agree more. So many of our players raise to the occasion when the stakes are high. in a dream world you want to keep as many players as possible for next season. And not just out of sentimental reasons, but because they seem to be a special group and why change a winning recipe.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The craziest part is we managed to win a Cup without replacing a coach halfway through the season.

Next stop - winning at home!

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
At the beginning of the 2015 season it was so far fetched to even think we would be here with 2 Stanley cups on June 13th, 2017, that I couldn't even dream of it. As much as I hate everything that's happened after 2009, as much as it ruined my fandom for a lot of those players, I'm kind of glad we went through it. I appreciate everything a TON more now than I did back in 09 and have learned to savor every great moment that comes.

One day it's going to be 2001-2005 all over again so we need to enjoy this.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
The later Bylsma years nearly ruined my hockey fandom. I couldn't handle watching my favorite players have their careers wasted. What a wild and rewarding the ride it has been since Sullivan took over.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
At the beginning of the 2015 season it was so far fetched to even think we would be here with 2 Stanley cups on June 13th, 2017, that I couldn't even dream of it. As much as I hate everything that's happened after 2009, as much as it ruined my fandom for a lot of those players, I'm kind of glad we went through it. I appreciate everything a TON more now than I did back in 09 and have learned to savor every great moment that comes.

One day it's going to be 2001-2005 all over again so we need to enjoy this.

Never mind the beginning of the season, think how far fetched it was halfway through :laugh:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Jake Guentzel, holy ****. In a year full of stand outs he stood out the most. HM to Justin Schultz, who was literally being called the worst player in the league and ended up turning his entire career around.

And it's even crazier to think that this team is in a position to be even better next year.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The fortitude, or maybe guts, of this team. There were so many things that could have derailed their season, but they managed to get it done - again.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I appreciate the coaching staff, particularly Sully, but I'm guessing that Tocchet, Martin, Gonch, Bales, etc all deserve some serious credit as well.

I also really, really appreciate Andy Saucier. Two years in a row a goal called back by a close offsides has been a pretty big turning point.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Martin and Gonchar certainly deserve some real kudos for the job they were able to do keeping this patchwork defense together and putting them in the best situation to succeed.

My understanding is that Martin is the schematics guy, he puts together the strategy and pairings. Sarge is the guy who works one-on-one with each player on their weaknesses, so he's the guy you should think of when you consider the improvement from guys like Schultz and Cole.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I appreciate JR and his ability to realize his decisions aren't working. Johnston sucks? Replaced after a season and a half. Perron doesn't fit? Traded. He didn't get attached to Fehr either.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I appreciate JR and his ability to realize his decisions aren't working. Johnston sucks? Replaced after a season and a half. Perron doesn't fit? Traded. He didn't get attached to Fehr either.

God, I completely forgot Fehr was here most of the season. I had to check and make sure he hadn't been traded at the deadline last year.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
B2B cups means that I can just sit back and enjoy the ride from now on until Sid and Geno are retired. Until last season it was a struggle to see them go season after season without any success in playoffs. See the idiot coaches, or graigadamses in the 1st line. I really thought that the window closed after 2013 sweep. But then Sullivan happened These 1,5years have been so fullfilling for a Pens fan that its really hard to put it into words. Its a dream come true really, something that we waited for 10ish years. If there are no more cups for Sid+Geno era, im perfectly fine with it. If there are more, then great. But from now on, Im just going to enjoy #87 and #71 until they are done

About this season: Wsh series win was the most rewarding win I have ever witnessed. That was like a cup final for me. To see Fleury perform like that in game7, is indescribable. And then they go out and win the freakin cup again.Before the playoffs, in my wildest dreams, this team was max in ECF, just because of missing Letang. Then the Murray thing happened..then Sid. How on earth they did it? How on earth Kunitz and Fleury stepped up so big? How on earth our d handled things so well? How on earth they didnt crack under pressure?

This cup win is and will be absolutely unmatched. Its a pinnacle for this franchise, for the fans, for Sid and Geno..And the craziest part is that they could win it next year as well. But this one will stay top1 for me forever, thats for sure.

But as a Finn, i sure am happy its over..finally getting some proper sleep.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
you suckers, it was all Gary Battman and refs handing it on a silver platter, Pens got nothing to do with this..

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
Appreciation For Our Senior Citizen Cluster:

Cullen, Kunitz, Hainsey, and Daily contributed the most at the ultimately critical time when physically they had the least fuel in the tank. Paraphrasing, they gave us their heart and soul when it was desperately needed.

This group's performance grants them immortality on the cup and us fans superb memories to carry forward. Gentleman, I salute your selflessness, determination, and fortitude and we are all (albeit vicariously for the fans) the 2017 Stanley Cup Champions.

Props on a magnificent effort and enjoy! :handclap:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I'm still pissed that I missed getting to watch Sid's 1000th point game live on TV when it happened. :cry:

Had to go over to my mother-in-law's that day for some silly nonsense. :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad