Speculation: The HOLY CRAP WHAT A CRAZY SEASON appreciation station

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Very glad MAF is going out on a high note. Cup aside, his performance shut a lot of people up.

sigamy

Jun 27, 2016
Wow. So happy for this team and us fans. It's amazing how far we've come from the black hole of 2010-2015. GM change, two coaching changes, and the feeling that we wasted the best years of two world class players...

Thank you to GMJR--so many great moves after a bit of a rocky start. But now, looking back, the Neal for Horny move may be #1A after the Sullivan hire.

How many non-Penguins fans (media included) remember when we could only dress 5 d-men due to cap issues?

Thank you to MAF and Kunitz. Great redemption stories for two all-time great Penguins.

Thank you to Mike Sullivan. His "Just Play" and "control what we can" take the very best of Disco's "get to our game" and add in composure, perseverance, and leadership. All things that were severely lacking under Bylsma.

Thank you to Crosby and Malkin. World class superstars who both did whatever the TEAM needed in order to win.

+1 to Cullen, Bones, Rusty, entire "no name" D-men. (I guess I mean everyone!)

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
What a historic season!! They battled through a lot of adversity. Very proud of this team. Lets go for a THREEPEAT and watch all the usual whiny pathetic haters have a meltdown!!

Thank you '16-'17 Stanely Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins!!!!

Skillzz

Registered Boozer
Jan 27, 2012
Omicron Persei 8
It's just crazy to think about where this team was two years ago.

Barely sneaking into the playoffs and getting clobbered by the Rangers in 5. All the talk of "What if Crosby and Malkin only win one cup???" and just the general gloom around the franchise.

And here we are, two years and two cups later. What a ****ing ride it's been.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The good times>>>>> not what was happening around here. After the first of the back to backs.

Sullivan was the keystone in which all was created from.:yo:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This year's Stanley Cup is a weird feeling. Now that it's over, it's more satisfying than last year's because of everything the Pens had to overcome in order to win it. But during the actual playoff run, I didn't really enjoy watching a lot of the games. Compare that to last season when it was a thrill watching the team play.

So for me, enjoyment is:
After all is said and done = 2017 > 2016
During the playoffs = 2016 > 2017

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
Man - That feeling when I found out Tanger was done for the season, it was like I had been shot. Seriously, I was super depressed, and to see this team accomplish this in spite of such an injury? Just amazing.

How good was this Penguin team? Not anywhere near full power and they still won the cup. Just an amazing testament to the skill and guts of this crew.

EDIT: Have to give due credit to Sullivan as well. What an amazing coach. If only we had a coach of this caliber earlier. God knows just how many more cups we would have now.

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
Anyone know if they are going to live stream the parade somewhere? Not going to make it into town, but I'd love to watch some of it.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Anyone know if they are going to live stream the parade somewhere? Not going to make it into town, but I'd love to watch some of it.

Check the local Pittsburgh stations websites as well as their YouTube channels. They should all be streaming it live.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My favorite Penguin right now may very well be Mike Sullivan. He did was Enzo, Therrien, Bylsma, and Johnston all failed to do...establish an identity and hold the guys feet to the fire for it. He has clearly captured the hearts and minds of these players and harnessed their energy into a formidable team. I can't even fathom what we'd be looking at if Sullivan and JR had taken over in 2011 or 2012 instead of 2015.

He is exactly what this team needed. It wasn't a high end #1/2 D, it wasn't a winger for Crosby or Malkin...it was a coach. After the Cup in 2009 all the way to Dec 2015, it was "F the coach" from my POV. For the first time since I can remember, I actually look up to the coach. I have a ton of respect for him. I want to be like him. And I'm very thankful to have him with the org. You literally can not give Sullivan enough credit.

Crosby and Malkin, not sure what needs to be said. They are who they are and we win because of who they are.

Kessel took a step back but I still expect him to be the impact player he is.

Sheary had an unreal season. Struggles in the playoffs yes but his RS and later parts of the playoffs were fantastic.

Guentzel...where to even start. Stellar rookie season. I wish he got consideration for the Calder.

Hags, see Kessel.

Bonino, see Hags.

Cullen...seems almost surreal to think he may retire. What an anchor. What a guy. I really hope he takes a position with the FO. I don't want him to go.

Archi and Rowney were nice youthful additions and I look forward to more of their tenacity and grit.

Kuhnhackl and Wilson I expect a little more from next year.

Kuntiz - thanks for the memories, thanks for the OT winner. We'll see ya later.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Imagine when sprong steps in, Archibald has his coming out party, we get Letang back AND sure up our defense. We're looking at a very possible threepeat

Fordy

May 28, 2008
still reveling in this one

jake guentzel is easily the best part of this season

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I had so many doubts as late as a week ago. Last year we never looked like NOT winning unless we got really unlucky. The guys just found a way this year. Super gutsy. Playing without Letang, without winning possession, limping through the playoffs may not be a repeatable feat, but we made it work anyway. Way exceeded my expectations.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This year's Stanley Cup is a weird feeling. Now that it's over, it's more satisfying than last year's because of everything the Pens had to overcome in order to win it. But during the actual playoff run, I didn't really enjoy watching a lot of the games. Compare that to last season when it was a thrill watching the team play.

So for me, enjoyment is:
After all is said and done = 2017 > 2016
During the playoffs = 2016 > 2017

I will disagree. 2016 is my favorite Penguin team of all time. That was cementing a legacy and going through all the pain to come out a champion once again. 2017 was a team that just closed the door on any crazy doubters that remained. 2017 was the cherry on top, but 2016 was the ultimate win, IMO.

But there is no right or wrong here. It's awesome either way. When things slow down I have like 4-5 thread ideas. This will be one of them. Because the 91 team meant a lot to me, too. I was 5-6 years old and I'll never ever forget seeing the Stanley Cup. It's way different as an adult, but that memory is what drove me to love the game forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->