OT: The Holiday Thread

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Good heavens to mergatroid :oops:

I'm gonna have to find time to make that. And take it to work so I don't eat the whole thing lol

Yeah this isn’t one for the health and weight loss thread. I make it once a year and usually don’t event eat any of it. That’s one of the benefits to hosting - I make all the yummy stuff but am usually to busy to eat much of it.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We used to have this exact "cookie gun" to make spritz cookies growing up. They were so tasty. Now I'm craving them. And I don't have the gun. :(

images (16).jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Here's what I have for the impossible wife to buy for.... we are keeping cost down this year

A shirt that says "If my dogs not allowed I'm not going"
2 Maine books , one history, one off leash dog walks
Whoopie pie recipes and baking pan
Hand drawn Acadia Ntl Park map
Yeti water bottle

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was bummed....I saw a shirt with a tri-color cavalier kayaking (which he loves to do) with a blonde girl with a ponytail....perfect except she's brunette

Reactions: sooshii

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Artificial trees - the smaller one (slim and 6ft) goes in dining room. That one is up. It's our "moose" or woodland tree

Living room tree 7ft, not up yet, have to rearrange living room. That one she is very picky about, only glass or blown glass ornaments allowed.
I usually only help by handing her ornaments since our joke id no matter where we put them she will rearrange the ornaments.
Both trees are white lights. We had a nasty looking white plastic angel on top.

As a kid we had a kerosene stove in our house. It was either on or off and usually quite warm. My Dad wouldn't let us get a tree until after the 20th. We would hike through the woods and cut one. When we got home , he made us put it outside in the snowbank "so the branches could fall" whatever the heck that meant. We were only allowed 3 strings of colored lights, this was back BEFORE the cool brite lights (I'm sure Wally remembers those) and they actually got very warm. The tree was gone New Years Day.

And we had the plastic tinsel (with me Wally ? LOL )....and we had to put it on only a few strings at a time so it didn't clump. Sometimes the cats would eat it and walk around with it hanging out of their butt.

Looking back, I thought our trees were beautiful and wanted to sleep on the couch in the living room with the lights on at night.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Holidays are going to be much different after this year. I'm going to be an auntie:) Don't worry, Munchkin already loves Patrice Bergeron and I got her a little Bergy bear to start her collection. Her first jersey will be a Bergeron and it won't be pink :) Can't wait for the years to come.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Artificial trees - the smaller one (slim and 6ft) goes in dining room. That one is up. It's our "moose" or woodland tree

Living room tree 7ft, not up yet, have to rearrange living room. That one she is very picky about, only glass or blown glass ornaments allowed.
I usually only help by handing her ornaments since our joke id no matter where we put them she will rearrange the ornaments.
Both trees are white lights. We had a nasty looking white plastic angel on top.

As a kid we had a kerosene stove in our house. It was either on or off and usually quite warm. My Dad wouldn't let us get a tree until after the 20th. We would hike through the woods and cut one. When we got home , he made us put it outside in the snowbank "so the branches could fall" whatever the heck that meant. We were only allowed 3 strings of colored lights, this was back BEFORE the cool brite lights (I'm sure Wally remembers those) and they actually got very warm. The tree was gone New Years Day.

And we had the plastic tinsel (with me Wally ? LOL )....and we had to put it on only a few strings at a time so it didn't clump. Sometimes the cats would eat it and walk around with it hanging out of their butt.

Looking back, I thought our trees were beautiful and wanted to sleep on the couch in the living room with the lights on at night.

oh ya….I fondly remember the old big bulbs and tinsel. Lots and lots of tinsel.

Now, when Christmas was over me and my buddies would go around and collect the old trees. I lived in East Arlington right by route 2. My house abutted what is now the Minuteman bike trail. Any way we’d take those trees and store them under the bridge beside the tracks.
When we had enough we’d pick a night. Last train there was 6:15. We’d pile em in the dark on the tracks . Soak with a little gas and wait. When the train was a hundred or so yards away we’d light the pile. Bam ! The flames andtrees would go every under that bridge. Light it up.
You couldnt hurt anything. All concrete and rocks.
Just 12 year old savage amusement.

😁

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Real tree or artificial?

When does yours go up?

We have artificial. Usually goes up Thanksgiving weekend.

View attachment 607731
Real. We had a real tree one year as a kid, and my mom vowed never to allow one in her house again because she hated vaccuuming the needles. When I moved out at age 22, my first to-do at Christmas was to buy a real tree. Then I met the missus, and her family is very competitive about who has the best tree, so it's game on.

We used to buy it in the first weekend in December. Then when the kids went away to school we bought it on Thanksgiving Saturday so that we all could do it. Youngest is in DC this year is but is home for Thanksgiving, so will do the same this year.

Worst year was when my autistic son started his residential program, he had just turned 18. We bought our tree, then on Sunday it was time for him to go back to the residence. He had a complete meltdown. After about 4 hours, he was able to articulate that he thought we would have Christmas without him. We pulled out the calendar and showed him the dates, and assured him that he would be home on the 25th. With that, he got up, sat in the car and buckled in. I really blew that one . . .

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I've always been a real tree person. I love picking it out, the smell of it, the whole thing.

HOWEVER, I have to admit...artificial trees are starting to intrigue me. They just seem so much easier.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Real tree or artificial?

When does yours go up?

We have artificial. Usually goes up Thanksgiving weekend.

View attachment 607731
Real tree in our house (9ft). I'd be fine with artificial but the wife has very strong opinions about this and I've let it go a long time ago. Usually goes up about 2wks before X-mas and comes down in mid-Jan.

Here's another one.....Exterior house lights: White lights or colored lights?

For us, its colored. The more the better. Our house looks like something on the Vegas strip. They go up on Black Friday and I think you might be able to see it from low orbit, but I can't be sure....

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This Christmas is going to be rough- first one w/o Mom and Christmas was her holiday, she loved it and went all out.

I have a ceramic tree with built in lights now- I had an artificial tree with all the trimmings (lights, tinsel, decorations) but the cats kept climbing it & knocking everything down so that was the end of that! I put it on top of the bookcase, usually around the 10th of December. Maybe I'll do it earlier, I don't know, but I will do it, Mom would want me to celebrate the holiday.

I also decorate my apartment- blue electric candles in each window with a triple one in the big picture window. Over each doorway hangs a small red stocking, the big one is hung on the kitchen wall. A nesting Santa is set up on the little stand in the kitchen where I keep my phone charger. Big wreath on the front door completes the decorating.

I'm going to try to continue our family Christmas traditions- Christmas Eve I will make a turkey dinner for my sister, niece & nephew (going to experiment with a small turkey for Thanksgiving) plus a pork pie. I'm also going to teach my niece how to make toll house cookies from scratch, she will have to continue this tradition for us.

:xtree::santa:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I've always been a real tree person. I love picking it out, the smell of it, the whole thing.

HOWEVER, I have to admit...artificial trees are starting to intrigue me. They just seem so much easier.
Have you seen that artificial tree that is super easy to store? It rotates upside down and the branches flip in tight against the trunk.

Until a few years ago we had on that each row of branches was individual pieces....starting with 12 at the bottom, to 6 at the top. I would start at the bottom, put lights on.....next row , more lights....took a full day to put that baby together as each branch had to be fluffed....

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Kate08

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Here's what I have for the impossible wife to buy for.... we are keeping cost down this year

A shirt that says "If my dogs not allowed I'm not going"
2 Maine books , one history, one off leash dog walks
Whoopie pie recipes and baking pan
Hand drawn Acadia Ntl Park map
Yeti water bottle

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was bummed....I saw a shirt with a tri-color cavalier kayaking (which he loves to do) with a blonde girl with a ponytail....perfect except she's brunette

subscription?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
subscription?

Good idea....we just subscribed a few moths ago.....great minds think a like LOL....

there are some nice maine calenders they have,,,,

Reactions: Gee Wally

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
A Christmas poem....sorta

Does anyone else hate the song Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer?
'Cause I sure do. lol

Grandma's Revenge

Most of you remember
How Grandma met her fate
That night in late December
Just outside her garden gate

The big boy in the red suit
Was flying kinda low
He didn't see my grandma
She got laid out in the snow

You think he would have stuck around
But that's not what he did
He hauled his fat butt outta town
And at the North Pole hid

You see he has this problem
And it's time for you to know
What's making him so jolly
And what makes his red cheeks glow

He tries to keep it hidden
But all the reindeer know
When Nicky staggers to the sled
This trip is gonna blow

That night he drank some eggnog
And thought it tasted fine
So he broke into her cabinet
And got into the wine

He guzzled down the bourbon
Til he was full of mirth
We found the empty bottle
Smashed beside the fireplace hearth

Now we're gonna show Old Tubby
How to take it like a man
We're gonna send a message...
You don't mess with Granny's clan

He'll never see it comin'
And all we really need
Is to hire an elf with pointy ears
To do the inside deed

A misfortune in the workshop
Or maybe late at night
We know accidents can happen
When you test a Christmas light

So say goodbye to Santa
Give the fat elf one last wave
It's sweet revenge for Grandma
She'll be smilin' from her grave

Me

• Haha
Reactions: Alicat and BMC

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Real tree in our house (9ft). I'd be fine with artificial but the wife has very strong opinions about this and I've let it go a long time ago. Usually goes up about 2wks before X-mas and comes down in mid-Jan.

Here's another one.....Exterior house lights: White lights or colored lights?

For us, its colored. The more the better. Our house looks like something on the Vegas strip. They go up on Black Friday and I think you might be able to see it from low orbit, but I can't be sure....
I grew up with color lights....inside and out.....my wife didn't.....and now we have all white lights everywhere in our house ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad