The Hockey Noob Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
TaylorHall - good on you for taking some lessons! I think once you start seeing that your balance is kicking in and you're making improvement every time you go out (and you will!) then you will get totally addicted and be in it for good. :)

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Today was funny at my usual tuesday stick-n-puck. There was no one there when I paid my 12 bucks, but by the time I got my skates on, a ton of high-schoolers who were on a field trip decided to start up a broom ball game on that rink. :amazed: It was all cool though, we shared. :) It was quite a change from my lonely rink time, though!

I was getting frustrated because I kept doing my wristers wrong. I know I need to use my wrist more, and not rely so much on the swing of my stick. But even though I knew the right way to do it, my body was not cooperating. I finally figured out a remedy today, however (I think). I got really close to the boards in the corner - like about 3 feet away - and just flicked the puck into the boards over and over. I was too close to swing the stick, and I HAD to use my wrist. I wasn't trying to make it go really hard or anything, just trying to get a feel for the puck with my wrist and get a little air on it. Even though I wasn't trying to put any velocity into it, it still came back to me really fast, because I was so close to the boards, so I think it helped with the catching and stick handling too. In any case, I was having fun doing it, and I felt like I was getting all speedy with my hands after doing it for a while.

Also, I haven't fallen down while trying to take a shot while skating in a long time. Oh! - And I managed to do a snap shot by accident. So at least now I know it's possible. :laugh:

And last night I dreamed that I finally got to play in a league. (sigh) 4 more weeks of school.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
There was no one there when I paid my 12 bucks,

O MY GOD!

you pay 12 bucks US for stick and puck.

Wow and I thought 5 bucks for 2 hours of shinny was allot LOL

But it is 6 bucks for an hour of stick and puck here.

I'm kind of worried about the cost of hockey when we move back to the states.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
It is a lot - but I'm usually there for over two hours, and often have the ice to myself - so I think it's a bargain. Or if I just feeling like skating, I can do the public skate for $5. :D

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
It is a lot - but I'm usually there for over two hours, and often have the ice to myself - so I think it's a bargain. Or if I just feeling like skating, I can do the public skate for $5. :D

I guess that is not to bad. you can't rent a pad for that price any place.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
O MY GOD!

you pay 12 bucks US for stick and puck.

Wow and I thought 5 bucks for 2 hours of shinny was allot LOL

But it is 6 bucks for an hour of stick and puck here.

I'm kind of worried about the cost of hockey when we move back to the states.

The stick and puck sessions in my neck of the woods costs $12 as well (1.5 hours).

This morning's session was a bit crowded for 6:00am, but it varies from week to week. I've been at some sessions where there is only 3-4 players for the entire session.

berzark

Nov 3, 2010
consider yourselves lucky.. Here in gatineau\ottawa area, it cost 10$ for 50 mins and there's always 20 people ( 5vs5, 5 change up each side). THERES NO SUCH THING AS HAVING FREE ICE ALONE.

I wish..

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Someone chirped my hot pink kneepads today after my son's practice. My first chirp! I feel like I've hit a milestone. :laugh:

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
where are you skating at for $12? there are a lot of places close to OP for cheaper. well at least for rat hockey.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I played net in a beginner adult league over the summer and there was an older woman who had pink gloves, laces, and tape and she would ware a purple jersey. I had tones of fun with that all in good fun. She was good with about it. I would let her score on occasion which helped her laugh and have fun in the class too.

I was running a small adult beginner shinny game for a while and I bout some old jerseys from a thrift store to cut into pinnys and the only black jerseys I could find LOL one of them said FIERCE on the front and the other had Creative Dance Studio and an image of a man spread eagle on the front. The worked out perfectly I still have both and the guys remembered to bring both light and dark jerseys for the game.

Pink is good but you will get ribbing and the better you get the ribbing will get funnier.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I was running a small adult beginner shinny game for a while and I bout some old jerseys from a thrift store to cut into pinnys and the only black jerseys I could find LOL one of them said FIERCE on the front and the other had Creative Dance Studio and an image of a man spread eagle on the front. The worked out perfectly I still have both and the guys remembered to bring both light and dark jerseys for the game.

OMG the FIERCE one is just hilarious!! :laugh:

I don't mind the ribbing...I have no shame! I know my pink kneepads are funny, until I fall down, and then they are AWESOME.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
where are you skating at for $12? there are a lot of places close to OP for cheaper. well at least for rat hockey.

Not for just regular public skate, but for fitness skate or stick and puck. It is $12 at Johnny's Ice House. I live in the burbs so I pay $5 for public skate at Artic in Orland. I do however take Hockey 101 at Johnny's so I have seen this advertised.

mgd150

Jan 19, 2010
I seriously need to move someplace that is more ice hockey friendly. In NYC its $25 for an hour and a half of stick and puck.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
chi town,

8 bucks for pick up hockey at IIc mon,wed, fri mornings at 9am. Darien has lunch time skate 11:20 to 1:20 weekdays (tue and thur are the best days) 9 dollars for non resident. both are pretty decent. there are some really good players there and some newer players there. Joliet has rat on mon, wed, and fri for 5 dollars from 8:45 to 10:45 am.

sorry IIC is romeoville right off weber and I55

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
OMG the FIERCE one is just hilarious!! :laugh:

I don't mind the ribbing...I have no shame! I know my pink kneepads are funny, until I fall down, and then they are AWESOME.

I can't help myself here.

Just what a guy needs A girl that likes and plays hockey with :naughty: "Pink Kneepads" :naughty: and a sense of hummer. :laugh:

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
chi town,

8 bucks for pick up hockey at IIc mon,wed, fri mornings at 9am. Darien has lunch time skate 11:20 to 1:20 weekdays (tue and thur are the best days) 9 dollars for non resident. both are pretty decent. there are some really good players there and some newer players there. Joliet has rat on mon, wed, and fri for 5 dollars from 8:45 to 10:45 am.

sorry IIC is romeoville right off weber and I55

Thanks for all the info rinkrat. That is one thing that sucks about open rink times in all of Chicagoland. If you have a job you are basically out of luck. I almosted joined the beginner league at IIC, but I took a pass for now b/c it is at 730 on Sunday mornings. Like I said I have Hockey 101 at Johnny's on Tuesday nights. Then I Fridays a bunch of guys from that class and some other friends either rent out McFretridge or Ridgeland Commons in Oak Park for hockey.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I can't help myself here.

Just what a guy needs A girl that likes and plays hockey with :naughty: "Pink Kneepads" :naughty: and a sense of hummer. :laugh:

:biglaugh:
I can't tell if that was intentional or a freudian slip!!

My husband is not a hockey guy, so my newfound love of hockey is not winning me any points, unfortunately. I think he's probably getting sick of me talking about it. (which is why I come here!) :D

mgd150~ 25 bucks! Yikes!!

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I seriously need to move someplace that is more ice hockey friendly. In NYC its $25 for an hour and a half of stick and puck.

Seriously? :amazed: Ouch. And you guys have two teams...

I find myself in limbo right now. Skating isn't improving, not to mention I went to FBV, lost an edge (three weeks after sharpening), and figured I would just suck it up and go back to ROH (2.5 months w/o sharpening, and no edges lost or knicked, so...), so the last public skate I went to was spent getting used to the lesser grip factor. Didn't get back to normal feel until I think the last 10mins of the session.

I've managed to try the forward stride with the full leg extension, and it's going ok, but I feel like if anyone were to bump me I'd completely lose all my balance and fall down in a painful heap. And don't get me started about backwards, OMG... I still haven't gotten back to the point where I was before the first ROH-FBV switch. And I can only BARELY use the outside edge with both feet on the ice, so crossovers are looking a loooooooooooooooooong way away. :\

It's just really frustrating and disheartening, especially going at it alone. But I should suck it up, I mean, if I want to be a goalie eventually, it's a very individual position anyway, so I should probably get used to the loneliness, right? Still it's tough.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Copeland~ it's too bad all us noobs are spread out all over instead of in the same town where we can buddy up and give each other support in person. All I can say is just keep at it. It will come with practice. There's so many factors involved that your body needs to figure out - more stability in the ankles, new muscle in your legs and core, nerve cells need to make more connections to coordinate and fine-tune all the new movements in your joints and in your brain. It's all like learning to walk. My point is, don't get frustrated that it's something that you're not able to figure out mentally - your body has to get everything in place first. That'll happen with time. Just keep going out there and push yourself past your comfort zone as much as you can. And keep your knees bent. :)

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
:biglaugh:
I can't tell if that was intentional or a freudian slip!!

My husband is not a hockey guy, so my newfound love of hockey is not winning me any points, unfortunately. I think he's probably getting sick of me talking about it. (which is why I come here!) :D

mgd150~ 25 bucks! Yikes!!

Umm although I was making an indirect reffrence to "Hummer" that hummer was actual my bad spleeing or a type-O.

it's a good thing you have a good sense of humor. :D

sorry aboot that eh.:shakehead

mgd150

Jan 19, 2010
Have my first beer league game tomorrow night, super pumped. I started skating and going to my first clinic sessions about this time last year, so I'm feeling like tomorrow night its finally coming full circle.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Have my first beer league game tomorrow night, super pumped. I started skating and going to my first clinic sessions about this time last year, so I'm feeling like tomorrow night its finally coming full circle.

Come back and tell us how it went! So jealous! When I finally start playing I'm going be so excited and nervous the whole time. Probably won't be until after the holidays for me, though!

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

$10 at palisades center mall in west nyack, ny. they have a session every day.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
Thanks for all the info rinkrat. That is one thing that sucks about open rink times in all of Chicagoland. If you have a job you are basically out of luck. I almosted joined the beginner league at IIC, but I took a pass for now b/c it is at 730 on Sunday mornings. Like I said I have Hockey 101 at Johnny's on Tuesday nights. Then I Fridays a bunch of guys from that class and some other friends either rent out McFretridge or Ridgeland Commons in Oak Park for hockey.

I'm a firefighter so I have days off during the week. good luck though maybe I'll see ya around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad