The Hockey Noob Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I play twice a week and maybe during the winter I may be able to pick up a third. At that point though I may lose a wife.

Obviously, the solution is that you just have to get her to play. :D

I had fun today. Word of my super-secret non-official stick-and-puck session has gotten out, and there was a kid that joined me on the ice this afternoon. He was really good - apparently he played roller since he was 5 and has played ice for the past year and is trying to get a scholarship. I told him, "I need to learn to shoot like you do!" His advice was to just work on skating and it will come. Which is true, but when you think your skating is coming along pretty good, then OUCH! lol! :laugh:

Mostly we each kept to our sides of the rink and every once in a while I would sneak a peek at him to see what he was doing. Something new I tried to work on today was stickhandling while skating backwards. It's HARD. But at least I'm better at it now then I was this morning. Also, I managed to get off a bunch of shots while skating. Previously, every time I tried to shoot while skating, either a) the puck would skitter slowly along the ice in the wrong direction, or b) I would wind up on my ass, or c) both. But today I managed to stay on my feet, AND get the puck in the air into the net on several occasions. So YAY!

I like leaving the rink happy with my progress. The downside is that when that happens, I'm immediately itching to get back on the ice again. But I won't be able to for a whole week since this week is crazy with Halloween crap (we're throwing a party on saturday) and I have a big exam to study for, too.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Beth I know what you are talking about when you start to see progress when you are first starting all you want to do is keep skating. I had a great game of shinny today with a bunch of buddies and I want to get out and play again but I have to wait until Friday midnight to play again. I'll do S/P on Thu..

We almost moved out to your area 2 years ago and My son was at a Goaltenders camp here in Toronto where there was two kids from Seattle in the camp with him. I got to know the parents and talked to them about hockey in that area and they told me that is was hard to find stick and puck time and or any good rep hockey for my son. I had to tell them about there kids needing goalie skates and I sent them to the places I buy used stuff for my son. They where amazed at how much they did not know about the equipment and that there coach did not help them in (or know about) Goalie equipment.

Anyway if you can find an adult beginner power skating class that will help in bring you up faster. The Kid was right about skating the less you have to think about skating the more you can focus on skating with your head up, learning how to handle the puck without steering at it or even looking at it. I've heard that you won't get a consistent good shot until you have taken 10,000 shots and that means 10,000 Wristers, 10,000 Snap shots, 10,000 slap shots. as for dangling through traffic LOL that still eludes me. I don't even know how one learns that skill. passing the puck and accepting a pass is something that you should work on. for every shot on net there are like 10 to 20 passes in a game. you will use passing skills way more than shooting in your hockey career.

I have enjoyed this string thanks for starting it.

GO T-Birds GO! right? ;)

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I don't know about the Seattle side of things, but on the eastside of Lake Washington, where I'm at, we have the Sno-King Amateur Hockey Association (SKAHA) that my son skates in, and I've been totally impressed with them so far. All the coaches have been WONDERFUL, and we do have an ex-goalie who runs the beginner program and does goalie camps for the whole Seattle area, and he's awesome with the kids. So I don't think we are lacking in goalie stuff here - maybe those parents were talking about a time that was before our goalie instructor showed up, though. I especially love our league as the practices for my son are at totally decent times rather than at the crack of dawn, and in his mite program he's allowed to skate with the beginners too, so in all he gets ice 3 times a week if he wants (which he usually does, because they make it so fun). I seriously could gush about this program all day. :nod: Now, I don't know how all the rep team stuff works for when he gets older and decides to pursue that, but for right now, everything is perfect.

I totally want to work on passes - I just need someone to pass with! :laugh:

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Wow sounds like a great system you have there. Our first 2 years of novice house league it was Sat and Sun at 7:00 AM and we live 45 min from the ice. so we where up at 5:00 AM both days of the weekend for 3 months driving through Canadian winters O-Joy!

I only had info from the people I met 2 years ago who happen to be Canadian ex-pats. From what you just told me I only wished we started in Bellevue, WA. But it is cool that my kid will be able to say "I learned to skate on a pond in Canada" when we eventually move back home, and he actually did.
My family and I are ex-pats in Canada and only started playing hockey since we have been here.

Are you really the only person on the ice at S/P? any time you get someone else on the ice with you just ask if they would help you work on passing for a few min. I have found that most hockey players are great people and are almost always willing to help. The better the player the more helpful they are unless it's a week before training camp starts and they are tuning up for camp.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Haha wish I had someone to practice passing with even on dry land...

Anyway, beth, sounds like you're having a great time! If only all us beginners could improve so quickly :laugh:

socktape

Jun 3, 2010
Obviously, the solution is that you just have to get her to play. :D
I like leaving the rink happy with my progress. The downside is that when that happens, I'm immediately itching to get back on the ice again. But I won't be able to for a whole week since this week is crazy with Halloween crap (we're throwing a party on saturday) and I have a big exam to study for, too.

Yay for progress! I also have the same feeling after a game, I'm rarin' to go again as soon as I get off the ice. I also have Halloween obligations this weekend, so no game for me :( but the good news is that my awesome husband has signed us for for a beginner/"older" player/"relaxed" co-ed league, so I'll get to play in 2 games a week.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
Yay for progress! I also have the same feeling after a game, I'm rarin' to go again as soon as I get off the ice. I also have Halloween obligations this weekend, so no game for me :( but the good news is that my awesome husband has signed us for for a beginner/"older" player/"relaxed" co-ed league, so I'll get to play in 2 games a week.

I think this is a huge key. Getting into a league where you are actually playing hockey rather than just practicing is the best way to get better. Especially if there are some better players in that league to help you improve. It is nice that it will be a little older and relaxed as I am sure that makes you a lot more comfortable, which is another huge key.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Wow sounds like a great system you have there. Our first 2 years of novice house league it was Sat and Sun at 7:00 AM and we live 45 min from the ice. so we where up at 5:00 AM both days of the weekend for 3 months driving through Canadian winters O-Joy!

Oh man, that would totally kill me. I am a night owl and hate getting up early! I was nervous about the practice times when I first signed him up for hockey, but the worry was for nothing. His practice times right now are 5pm during the week, 9:20am and noon on the weekend. The league owns two rinks with 3 ice sheets total, and priority is given to youth hockey, so it's pretty sweet, schedule-wise. Also, it only takes me 10 minutes to drive there. :D

Anyway, beth, sounds like you're having a great time! If only all us beginners could improve so quickly :laugh:

Thanks, just keep practicing going backwards - it'll click soon and then you'll be on your way!

That will be so fun! Let us know how it goes after it starts up!

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I was going through my Youtube favorites and thought I'd post the videos that I've gotten a lot out of...

Edgework:

More edgework:

Backwards skating:

Turning and forward crossovers:

The next part of the above video with backwards crossovers:

More on backwards crossovers:

Pivots:

Transitions:

Forwards to backwards Mohawk Pivot:

Backwards to forwards Step Out:

Stops:

More on hockey stops:

A couple of drills that are on my "todo" list:

Last edited:

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
I seem to do a lot of hitting in my "non checking" league as well. For the most part, it comes when I'm fighting for position in front of the net or behind it, but this week I laid someone out up near my own blue line as he was trying to receive a pass. Head down, stopped short as I was coming up. I just shoved him over and didn't even get called (I thought it might be interference). No apologies, no hard feelings, because it's part of the game and everyone in the league seems to realize that.

That happens in my roller league. Checking is not allowed, but if a guy gets knocked down battling for a puck or trying to get around a guy, they usually let it go. When I was forced to play D due to lack of guys showing up last year, I usually ended up flattening guys who got too close to me trying to dangle around me, never got called. Only call came after I broke my stick and skated up and leveled a guy in the slot. Think the difference is that I skated to him rather than him skating to me, plus the ref probably could tell I did that out of frustration of my stick being broken lol

bdbowti

Oct 27, 2010
Hello everyone! Just found this site and its wealth of knowledge, those are some great videos listed above!!!

I began my hockey journey back in 2002. A friend from work had his son taking hockey lessons and asked if he could join in. Once he started skating he showed another friend at work, a former college ice hockey player, and they started talking about hockey. The one friend is a bit of a maniac and goes full bore into anything he does and needless to say he was recruiting people to form a ice hockey team lol. I originally said no way, as i had never been on ice skates in my life and could never even roller skate as a child. Not to mention i was close to my 30's and weighed about 280lbs! Well after some coaxing i went out with them to a free skate at the local rink and by the end of the night we were skating around the rink. Well three of us signed up for hockey 101 lessons and it was quite the site as the rest of the class was made up of 6 year olds!!! We began by getting blocks of ice time and we skated 1-2 times a week for a few months. There were guys on our team that played and knew what to do so they helped to coach those of us who were rookies. After a few months we got ourselves jerseys and signed up at the local rink for their corporate c league. As fate would have a week before our first real game the guy that started all this broke both bones in his leg right above the ankle at a stick and puck when he lost an edge and went into the boards. He has never been on the ice since and even pulled his kids out. Others have moved on and only a few of the original members remain. I still play but was out of it the last couple years and have just started getting back into it. I still have tons of learning to do as i need to work on my skating as well as my puck handling. This season we were bumped into the B league as we have won every season we play the c......this is of course with no help from me lol. I always say i am there to bring the bell curve down.

Long story short is i LOVE hockey!!! Now my son is getting into it and is getting ready for Hockey 101 the beginning of the month. I actually came across this site while searching for synthetic ice. Was thinking about getting a little bit so my son and i could get some skating drills in at home. I'm not a big sports guy and don't even watch NHL games but i love to play. Looking forward to picking up tips from this site and trying to put them in practice on the ice.:yo:

BadHammy*

Here are a couple tips that are hopefully going to help a few people out here. These are aimed pretty much solely at beginners, not intermediate players.

1)Do NOT worry about slap shots until you've got the wrist and snap shot down. The slap shot is the least useful shot in games generally.
2)Don't worry on backwards crossovers or other advanced skating techniques until your forward stride is quite good. The reason is that if your edge control is truly good, which can be enhanced through working on forward stride and crossovers, your backward skating simply isn't going to improve, no matter how hard you try or how many coaches you hire.
3)Work on skating with the puck, with your HEAD UP! This is a really big thing. You'll be amazed that you can literally move up 1 whole level just by doing this. Your on-ice vision will feel enhanced by 300 or 400%, and your confidence will go sky high. Practice off ice with your eyes closed, use a golf ball.
4)Receiving Passes- this is HUGE. If you're using a composite blade, the "soft hands egg technique" will NOT work on hard passes. It will ricochet right off your blade! You have to put more force into your bottom hand, meet a hard pass with a hard hand, and slightly move in to catch the puck.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
bdbowti ~ Welcome! I agree, this is a great site! Lots of hockey chatter going on here. How old is your son?

donGjohnson, thanks for the tips! I didn't realize that catching a pass was different with a composite stick. All I've ever used is my cheapy wood stick. Interesting.

mgd150

Jan 19, 2010
The bit about catching passes with a composite stick rather than wood is definitely true, I went to my first clinic/scrimmage with a composite last week (used wood for about the first 6 months Ive played) and actually needed to put some pressure and flex on the stick to catch any hard passes. Otherwise they would just bounce or spin off my blade.

Is this what I should be doing to catch those passes?

BadHammy*

The bit about catching passes with a composite stick rather than wood is definitely true, I went to my first clinic/scrimmage with a composite last week (used wood for about the first 6 months Ive played) and actually needed to put some pressure and flex on the stick to catch any hard passes. Otherwise they would just bounce or spin off my blade.

Is this what I should be doing to catch those passes?

Yes, indeed. A harder pass requires more force to catch for comp blades. A bullet pass takes some real force to receive with a lively blade.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
I've recently started playing for a Recreational team over here in the UK.
I started learning to skate early this year then when I managed to get my forward skating/stopping up to an ok standard I gave it a go with the pads etc!
Only been training with the team for a few weeks now but really loving it, My passing has come on no end since I started as has my puck handling and i've even started to get wrist shots off the ice! :D
I'm now just in the process of building up my gear (I've been borrowing stuff) and thats the main reason I am on here, lots of good advice!
The best thing I have used so far for teaching me things is the Howtohockey.com site, their videos are absolutely awesome and have been really helpful in improving my puck handling etc.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
My 2nd mens league game in a mixed level league and what a train wreck. the other team was chippy and decided to go after one our defenseman picking at him until our guy started to fight. They attacked our goalie and the same defenseman decided to stop that nonsense. It was our first loss and our first fight.

All in all the night was a bust we lost 2-3, we lost two guys due to suspension (one game) because they jumped off the bench to fight. the game started at 11:55 PM Friday night. I had to take my son to Goalie school at 7:00 AM the next morning, and a 1:00 PM game on 3 hours sleep. Anybody who has ever played a game at midnight knows about having to come down off adrenalin after a late game.

I'm not sure I signed up for this crap. This is even a church sponsored league.

I play shinny with ex Jr, ex-Euro-Pros, and just a bunch of random guys and we have never had anything close to this level of nastiness.

<SIGH> I hope next week is better.

BadHammy*

My 2nd mens league game in a mixed level league and what a train wreck. the other team was chippy and decided to go after one our defenseman picking at him until our guy started to fight. They attacked our goalie and the same defenseman decided to stop that nonsense. It was our first loss and our first fight.

All in all the night was a bust we lost 2-3, we lost two guys due to suspension (one game) because they jumped off the bench to fight. the game started at 11:55 PM Friday night. I had to take my son to Goalie school at 7:00 AM the next morning, and a 1:00 PM game on 3 hours sleep. Anybody who has ever played a game at midnight knows about having to come down off adrenalin after a late game.

I'm not sure I signed up for this crap. This is even a church sponsored league.

I play shinny with ex Jr, ex-Euro-Pros, and just a bunch of random guys and we have never had anything close to this level of nastiness.

<SIGH> I hope next week is better.

To be frank, perhaps you should opt out of a mixed league. Find a solid novice/intermediate novice level and stick with it for a bit. It's your best bet for improvement.

member 30781

Hey guys, I am 20 (21 in a week and a half). On my 21st birthday it will be officially 4 years since I started playing roller hockey. I always wanted to play as a kid but my parents thought it was too rough, so it wasnt until I was 17 when I laced up my first pair of skates to go out to the rink and play with my buddy. Needless to say I was terrible. And if any of you are afraid to go out to play because you might suck, I assure you that you cannot be worse than me when I first started.

When I laced up my skates I got onto the rink and started skating along the far boards and started creeping closer to the corners of the boards ( the area along the red line of the goal) and I just couldnt turn. therefore, I slammed straight into the boards and fell down. So NEVER be scared to go out and try it.

When I first started, I became immediately addicted. Would go out to play 4 times a week everyday after school, but then it just started to taper off and I go out about twice a week. I played in an outdoor roller hockey league in high school for one year and then last year I played in a Sunday morning league. We ended up losing in the championship.

I was always terrible at skating and shoot and stickhandling when I first started but over time it just started coming naturally to me and I would go out to the hockey rinks behind my house to practice for hours at a time. I even went on youtube to learn proper techniques when skating, shooting, and stickhandling.

Im still not the best player on the rink by any stretch but I can definitely hold my own, score goals, plays defense, and set up plays and I pride myself on that. I always like teaching new things to people when I can. And in a week and a half when I turn 21 I will buy a new pair of ice skates and hit the local ice rink for some stick time and open hockey.

I will likely suck then too since ice hockey is much different than roller, but I think, given my background, it will be easy for me to learn. Glad to see all these stories from other hockey noobs, which I was a few years back.

I just have to say, if you really enjoy it, stick with it, and the progress will come. you just need to practice and play with guys/girls who are better than you. That is the only way to improve.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
To be frank, perhaps you should opt out of a mixed league. Find a solid novice/intermediate novice level and stick with it for a bit. It's your best bet for improvement.

I'm hanging in with the play. It's the fighting, tripping, slashing, crosschecking, boarding, driving players into the net, and general nastiness you name it that is getting to me already.

I have heard all sorts of crazy stories about D thru C leagues in the GTA too. I liked the idea that this is a church league. I was under the impression that this was a rec. league and everybody needs to get up for work on Monday.

Anyway I just wanted to vent about the instant Arse-holes (Just add Ice)

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
I played in a church pickup group - it could get just a chippy as any other group.

They played in a Fort Francis church tournament annually for a while - i never played but apparently most teams picked up ringers and it was as chippy or chippier than your average beer league tournament.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I'm so glad to see all the other new hockey players joining this thread. I love hearing all the stories. :)

Finally got out to practice again today, and there was one other guy from the seattle league there. He was super nice - he started playing as a grown-up too, and has been at it for 9 years. He was happy to give me some pointers and walked me through the wrist shot. A few of the mistakes I was making was, a) not letting the puck get all the way to the toe, because b) I was lifting the stick too much/too soon, and c) not being flippy enough with the wrist action. Also, I needed to keep the puck on the heel better until that flippy wrist action happened to fling the puck along the blade like a slingshot. I still can't put it all together consistently, but when I do, I get way more velocity on the puck than I have been. And at least now I can totally tell what I've done wrong when I flub it. I just need to practice a ton more.

The other thing I wanted to do today was work on transitions/pivots. I keep watching hockey and seeing those guys change from forward to backward so effortlessly and I want to be able to do that too SO BAD. I tried doing that drill where you skate a circle, but face the same way the whole time. So, like, if I'm going counter-clockwise, then I would skate forwards to the top of the circle, doing left forwards crossovers - pivot to backwards - backwards crossovers to the right - step out to forward again. Around and around, and then switch directions. Doing transitions on a circle really makes it easy to figure out where your weight should be and where the momentum should go. I was so happy to be pivoting so well, I could've done this drill for hours. It was totally fun.

5 more weeks until the quarter ends and I'll have time to join the league!

TaylorHall

First overall
Sep 20, 2008
Awesome thread. Haven't had time to read through all the posts, but plan to do so soon.

I'm about to graduate from University but I've wanted to play hockey so badly about 2-3 years ago. Really wanted to play rec hockey on campus before I graduated... My interests in hockey absolutely spiked when my favorite team (go Oilers go!) made their Cinderella run in 2005-2006. Bought some brand-new and intermediate hockey equipment about 2 years ago but haven't even used them that much (money down the drain?) Used to skate a bit at an outdoor rink last winter or so because it was right next to my house. Realized outdoor ice sucks badly and a person of my level could have gotten injured badly on the deteriorating ice so I stopped going. Basically, made 0 progress. This semester I am actually taking real skating lessons on campus... I'm a looong way off from actually playing... Honestly don't know if I ever will taking everything I said into account. Will be keeping tabs on this thread though!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad