The "Heart" Trophy

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
First name that came to mind for me was Jamie Pushor...

Was part of the committee (IIRC along with Shanahan, McCarty and LaPointe) that took on pugilist duties in Detroit for the first half of 96-97 between the departure of Grimson and eventual return of Kocur.

In fact, it was a wild game against the Hawks where Pusher got absolutely dusted by Enrico Ciccone that convinced Bowman and the Red Wings to sign Kocur. According to Kocur, he visited with Probert when the Hawks were in Detroit earlier that season, and told him to give them Wings hell so they'd consider signing him. Probert went nuts and ended up fighting Shanahan and McCarty in the first period, and IIRC was involved in the dust up that led to Ciccone pounding Pusher and punching the back of his head after he went down.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dude literally bled for the team ...almost every time he dropped the gloves.

Another Cap: going back a few years, no guy exemplified heart more than Kevin Kaminski.

I don't remember much about Kaminski but the later Matt Bradley teams were breaking out. Bradley was the best momentum changer fighter I know and he lost every fight. I am sure that he had something to do with that he lost. I also remember a lot of fans being confused why the Caps would sign a 4th liner like him to a 3 year contract. But again the reason he could have the effect he did was his relationships with the players. Something its hard to get one season and out

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
I don't remember much about Kaminski but the later Matt Bradley teams were breaking out. Bradley was the best momentum changer fighter I know and he lost every fight. I am sure that he had something to do with that he lost. I also remember a lot of fans being confused why the Caps would sign a 4th liner like him to a 3 year contract. But again the reason he could have the effect he did was his relationships with the players. Something its hard to get one season and out

In my memory, every fight Kaminski ever had looked something like this:

He was never shy about fighting above his weight class. Also flew around the ice and hit like a cannonball.

No arguments on Bradley, though. Good pick.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Brent Hughes, Steve Leach. Both tried and gave everything they had every night, Hughes was very much alone on some of those Bruins teams.

Guys like Potvin and Odgers meet the criteria but they were only around to fight, Leach was a good player who could have gotten away without getting maimed by fighting but he chose to stick up for his teammates and fought and lost a lot.

speaking of heart and losing a lot, Dale Hunter won very few fights and was the heart and soul of the nordiques. While his being insanely dirty made him very dislikeable he was a true heart and soul leader who would do anything to win.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
First name that came to mind for me was Jamie Pushor...

Was part of the committee (IIRC along with Shanahan, McCarty and LaPointe) that took on pugilist duties in Detroit for the first half of 96-97 between the departure of Grimson and eventual return of Kocur.

In fact, it was a wild game against the Hawks where Pusher got absolutely dusted by Enrico Ciccone that convinced Bowman and the Red Wings to sign Kocur. According to Kocur, he visited with Probert when the Hawks were in Detroit earlier that season, and told him to give them Wings hell so they'd consider signing him. Probert went nuts and ended up fighting Shanahan and McCarty in the first period, and IIRC was involved in the dust up that led to Ciccone pounding Pusher and punching the back of his head after he went down.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad