Speculation: The Head Coach Search - Friedman says it's Tocchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Eakins on analytics: http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...as-eakins-why-selling-analytics-nhl-challenge

Another possibility, and I'm not advocating this. But what's the thinking if we promote Playfair? (it'd be cheap, in any event). Is the stance "anything better than Tipp" or "oh ****, we should have kept Tip" ?

Eakins sucks at the day to day.

Playfair needs to go, if you're going to completely reset the room then he is the last piece. It's just a courtesy to keep him around during the search and if for some reason the new coach wants to keep him, fine.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Another possibility, and I'm not advocating this. But what's the thinking if we promote Playfair? (it'd be cheap, in any event). Is the stance "anything better than Tipp" or "oh ****, we should have kept Tip" ?

My stance is, "DEAR GOD NO!!!"

I happen to believe that Playfair is an integral part of why Tippett's teams went downhill so fast after Ulf left. So Tippett staying without Playfair around would have been eminently preferable to Playfair as head coach, to me.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Todd Nelson has been amazing in Grand Rapids.. Both seasons. Helped the development of a skilled guy like Anthony Mantha too.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
Sold. Hire. That. Man.

But what about compete? Chasing the game? ...?!

--

Kidding aside, it would be so great to have a HC with a proven track record of developing young talent.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If nothing else I think the team is immediately more attractive to just about everyone. You have some things to put your stamp on early in the NHL and a cupboard with some nice pieces. Here's hopping.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I am hoping for a coach who has psychology, is naturally good with youth and who has a clear vision on how hockey will be played in 2020.

I want none of the guys who won 10 years ago.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think Nelson is top of the list for me. Wish he had junior experience but whatever. AHL is there.

Desjardins has all 3 of the big criteria (juniors, AHL, NHL asst/head) but I'd still take Nelson ahead of him.

We can give Playfair to Detroit to coach Grand Rapids :laugh:

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Someone with Twitter go suggest this on Jake Barroways account. He seems to have no issue passing messages along to his Dad. Re. Nelson ...sounds like the perfect guy.

Edit : off topic but did you notice Chayks got kind of moved over to the side so Jake and Andrew got the pic taken with POJ? Not a big deal but usually the gms should be in there.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kind of awkward to have Playfair run the development camp.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Someone with Twitter go suggest this on Jake Barroways account. He seems to have no issue passing messages along to his Dad. Re. Nelson ...sounds like the perfect guy.

Jake probably reads these damn boards, so far his dad has done everything the majority of us wanted :laugh:

So with that in mind, Todd Nelson please Jake.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Jake probably reads these damn boards, so far his dad has done everything the majority of us wanted :laugh:

So with that in mind, Todd Nelson please Jake.

The hive mind will provide. All the moves praised by anyone not looking for a hot take.

Nelson has the credentials. Not a far trip from Grand Rapids to Chicago. Meet with him at the hotel, lay it out, get a contract done, bring him back with Chayka to AZ, introduced, into camp he goes. Onward and forward, comrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce