Speculation: The Head Coach Search - Friedman says it's Tocchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Prefer someone in the AHL or Junior to someone from the college ranks.

Is there a reason for that? Another coach popped into my head from college hockey. Was thinking about Keller and David Quinn. He may be able to get the most out of our potential star forward.

Last edited:

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
That sounds very promising. I'm completely on board.

Jim Montgomery isn't as appealing? Why? I'm in the same boat concerning coaches.

It's not that I don't like Montgomery. It's just the Hakstol effect. Dave Hakstol had been iffy in Philly since making the jump form college to NHL, so Im not sure i'd personally do that. Maybe as a Plan C.

But my top 2 choices are

Sheldon Keefe
Benoit Groulx

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Is sheldon related to Adam, the one that had a couple year stint in San Antonio? Was a brawler I believe.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Todd Nelson has been coaching since his playing career ended in 2002. He won two championships at the UHL level and has never had a losing record as a head coach in seven full and partial AHL seasons. He had two seasons as an NHL assistant to John Anderson in Atlanta and did a creditable job over a half-season as an interim head coach with the Oilers.

What are the odds of that?

Getting his long-awaited NHL head coaching job this season in Edmonton, the team was literally in shambles. Head coach Dallas Eakins was fired and the team was 7-19-5. Nelson took over and the team played their best hockey of the season. In 51 games, the team went 17-25-9. Not much to write home about, but with the roster of the Oilers and what management gave Nelson to work with, it was pretty remarkable. The players were very approving of Nelson’s coaching style, particularly former number one pick Nail Yakupov and some veterans.

“it’s not a question for me, it’s not my decision, but all i can say is nellie gave me a second life this year. he gave me a really good chance, a really good opportunity, to be nail yakupov. i’m really happy for that. he gave me support. he was really positive to me and to our team. he gave me and the whole team extra life. it was an amazing feeling in the locker room the way we talked to each other, the way we talked to the coach. we changed a couple of things. it seems like we were a better team.â€
-nail yakupov

“i thought he was awesome, he was great. i’m pretty sure if you ask anyone in the room they would say the same thing – he’s been really positive on us. he really changed the way we approach the game from the beginning of the year until now. it’s just unfortunate he’s been put in a pretty bad situation, a lot of injuries, a lot of guys going down, that’s tough for anyone, but todd has been great.â€
-benoit pouliot

“from day 1 we talked about earning trust. we had to earn his trust and he had to earn our trust. he came in with the mentality that we can be a winning hockey club. some of the changes i thought really benefitted us were our practice habits, executing in practice, forcing us to keep practice at a higher pace, more of a game pace so that when we got to games execution was a little bit better. and he was very good at managing our team, managing individuals, understanding how one player learns a little bit differently than another player and he was able to utilize strengths and weaknesses up and down the lineup.â€
-matt hendricks

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/17/todd-nelson-great-hire-griffins/

I like.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Wow, didn't realize Nelson had such a good coaching record in the minors. 252-128-45 with two Colonial Cups and a Calder.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It’s the first thing I tell all my players: ‘I have an open door policy, if you have issues please come talk with me. If you don’t feel comfortable talking with me, pull one of the assistants aside and talk with them. We have to know how you’re feeling. If you’re suffering on the ice with your play, it could be something totally different than your on-ice play, it could be something that’s bothering you mentally and emotionally off the ice.’

"We’re here to help, especially at this level where you have young guys," Nelson said. "You have to be sensitive, especially for the first year players and the Europeans coming over, it’s a totally new environment and they’re on their own. The Europeans, for instance, they’re a long ways from their girlfriends or maybe their families. We want to make sure that they’re living the right way and also dealing with the first year of pro life. I’ve had players that came through here and they were homesick."

Also, the ****ing candor and lack of platitudes here is so refreshing: https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/g...-red-wings-prospects-ahl-playoffs/c-288987650

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I just realized I had mixed up ex oiler coaches. It was Nelson I thought could be a good candidate not Eakins.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Also, the ****ing candor and lack of platitudes here is so refreshing: https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/g...-red-wings-prospects-ahl-playoffs/c-288987650

Okay yeah I'm sold. 180 degree turn from "NHL is NOT a development league" Dino Davey pea brain mentality. The perfect coach is a coach who believes all leagues are development leagues and all coaches are development coaches. That coaching is development. Tippett doesn't even understand what it is he's SUPPOSED to be doing. Good riddance. Bring in a teacher. A positive human. A helpful person. Emotional intelligence.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm in. We need a tutor. A real coach who coaches and guides and builds them up. Not someone who doesn't think "amateurs" belong here to begin with.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You want Todd Nelson, full stop period. He took the ****ing disaster that was the Oilers post Eakins (who you do NOT want! ) and turned them into some semblance of an NHL team. Excellent with young talent and last time I checked that's pretty much all the Coyotes have. He will work miracles for you. He has everywhere else he has coached.

But I expect the kiddie GM who loves his spreadsheets to hire Eakins and if that is the case expect your team to be the laughing stock, expect your players to be destroyed and an empty building because watching Eakins hockey live is simply not tolerable.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
An all star AHL coach like Nelson or Keefe is what I want. Someone who's shown they're good with young players. Hire either one and I'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce