Post-Game Talk: The Habs played? San Jose scored 4 in the Bell Centre, so they must have.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Slaf definitely shown he could use some icetime on the Top-6.

And Matheson definitely shown he should join the scratch rotation.
Slaf needs to go to Laval. He shows flashes here and there but overall he’s been underwhelming for someone who was drafted first overall. Not say he should be lighting it up but he has some work to do

Reactions: hvac412

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
From a fiscal standpoint you can't sit out that many vets with big contracts especially if you are looking to move some of those contracts. Still so many games to play I am confident the GM's and coach are doing their job. They can't get wrapped up in what the fans want otherwise it would be absolute chaos.
No of course you can't sit that many out.................a carousel of vets in and out of the lineup would be fine, and send a message they should all be better, and held accountable.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe I’m wrong but did they even get a shot on goal during the 5 on 3?
You are correct. They managed a shot only after the first penalty expired.

Last edited:

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Next season will bring different challenges with expiring contracts like Drouin
Damn near gave me a heart attack
No doubt about it... players like Gallagher, Armia, Dadonov, Evans are just not helping with secondary scoring and all 4 of them have in the past.

I actually think Slaf would have more offensive numbers if we had better 2nd and 3rd lines. Growing pains and this might be for the best cause it means we finish .450 - .500 winning % vs .500+.

Next season will bring different challenges with expiring contracts like Drouin, Dadonov, Byron. Monahan is likely to be traded if Gorton/Hughes stick with the long term plan. Add Anderson and Hoffman as possible trades as well. Possibly 6 guys gone from that forward group and we might replace them with 3 rookies and 3 depth signings. Next season might be back to bottom 5
After reading the bolded part of your post it dammed near scared the life out’a me…I began to question myself & panicked….so I went directly to capfriendly just to make sure J Drouin’s contract term is up THIS YEAR. What a relief, lol.

I don’t know what life has in store for Jo but if he never plays again he’ll walk away with having over $42 million in career earnings and he just qualified for a full NHL pension.
He’s 27 years old

Reactions: Habs Halifax

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
No he cannot. Just stop it. Caufield has no where near the play making ability of Suzuki or Dach.
Just because he shoots more than pass giving the shot he has doesn’t mean he can’t be a good playmaker also. He showed many times he has the ability and also great vision.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
+

I don't think so. Caufield has struggled in that area particularly in traffic.

In traffic with small spaces perhaps. But he's not bad at in the vision and playmaking areas. He's not far behind Suzuki and Dach like you are letting on. Of course Suzuki and Dach are better but how much better is the debate correct?

After reading the bolded part of your post it dammed near scared the life out’a me…I began to question myself & panicked….so I went directly to capfriendly just to make sure J Drouin’s contract term is up THIS YEAR. What a relief, lol.

I don’t know what life has in store for Jo but if he never plays again he’ll walk away with having over $42 million in career earnings and he just qualified for a full NHL pension.
He’s 27 years old

Maybe he gets a tryout contract if he still wants to play but it's not likely with the Habs. Good luck cause we held on hope he would perform better for far too long.

Reactions: SlafySZN

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

He’s 27 years old
JD can thank MB...................all the way to the bank.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
In traffic with small spaces perhaps. But he's not bad at in the vision and playmaking areas. He's not far behind Suzuki and Dach like you are letting on. Of course Suzuki and Dach are better but how much better is the debate correct?
He doesn’t get enough credit in that area of his game. Saying he struggles is laughable lol.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He doesn’t get enough credit in that area of his game. Saying he struggles is laughable lol.

It's the usual exaggerate in a debate to prove a point narrative. Suzuki and Dach are slightly better but it's not a massive gap. Caufield is great at what he does but it's not all about his shot. His play making ability is well above average for a winger.

JD can thank MB...................all the way to the bank.

The Dach/Romanov flip was basically what we thought the Drouin/Sergachev trade would be. Difference being is we traded Romanov after getting to see him play in the NHL first.

Trading a guy who is developing well before they turn Pro is very risky. Drouin was trending well in the last 1.5 season with Tampa and it's historical on how he fell so low with us after the trade. He struggled at center in that first season but at least he had high tempo and energy. Just kept getting worse each season as our dinosaur coaches tried to coach him to play a "safe" structure game. Or his wrist has never 100% healed cause his shot just sucks. Watch video from his 1st season with the Habs and his shot was very good.

Now we got 4 more years of this with Gallagher. Sad

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Allen was literally the number 1 goalie of the blues for several years.
That's a funny comment considering Montebeault has never been a decent backup goaltender in the nhl, let alone a starter. Montebeault has a few good games, and people think he's a top goalie now lol.

Was Carey Price playing 82 nhl games? Because the idea that you only play one goaltender makes 0 sense.
Also, Allen didn't allow any bad goals and didn't have a bad game, so this whole enragement over Allen having started is absurd.
So yeah Allen was given the defacto number 1 position in 2015-2016. He lost the net to Brian Elliot in the post season that year and then gained it back the two succeeding years. 2016 - 2017 being his best. In 2017-2018 Carter Hutton outplayed him and they missed the playoffs and in 2018-2019 Binnington saved their season culminating in a Stanley Cup. Was never suited for the number one role IMO.

I'm not laughing when he turns the puck over. :laugh:

Reactions: LaP

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Come on now. We barely won with Dum-Dum, we were losing most games by a wide margin.

It's night and day. Any coach would be severly limited with this lineup. Many players are producing more, not just Caufield.

Maybe if people didn't get their hopes too quickly, they wouldn't react so negatively when the roster comes back down to earth and closer to its mean.
I don't get my hope ups. But like I said the only difference this year is that the first line are ppgs which was not the case last year.

We see the same Strategies used from Ducharme still in this lineup. I agree that MSL is a way better person to coach as a person but I still can't believe a guy who had hell of a career can't teach them how to play on the PP. I don't even know why he even considered to keep Burrows who's a complete disaster of a coach.

I did not expect anything more than this. Suzuki and Caufield carrying but now at the point to be playing for .500 more like .400 . But habs had a pretty easy schedule against weak teams and it shows and yet we are still barely holding at .500

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yes but there is a interesting dynamics unfolding between those who have Tank Fever and the new group who are putting management and coaching decisions under he microscope cause they want to win and make the playoffs?

Trade Eddy, Monahan, Anderson ASAP
vs
Why is Xhekaj and Monty not playing... the goal is winning games right?

If the goal was winning, why would Dadanov have a roster spot, or Armia... Hughes is making the lineup I'm guessing, there is no other explanation why both those giant turds have an ounce of ice time.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If the goal was winning, why would Dadanov have a roster spot, or Armia... Hughes is making the lineup I'm guessing, there is no other explanation why both those giant turds have an ounce of ice time.
Trying to turn Dadonov into a trade able asset, by hoping TOI will get him going…

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Trying to turn Dadonov into a trade able asset, by hoping TOI will get him going…
Not a team in the world would take that contract, and that horrific hockey player, at that age. NOBODY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad