Post-Game Talk: The Habs played? San Jose scored 4 in the Bell Centre, so they must have.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
From what little I've adsorbed is that Dach,Nick or Cole can do it,but no one shoots ever,can they not shoot from the point? I see a fair amount of goals from just putting the puck towards the net.
I don't see Caufield at the point. The quarterback needs to find open lanes, almost direct guys as well as simply get shots through. Caulfield is the one timer, big blast type.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think this is a factor of MSL trying to give him confidence and avoid the obsession on his poor play at the moment. MSL is clearly not going to throw players under the bus in front of the media like some past coaches we had.

New management is trying to establish a new culture. Kicking someone when they are down holds zero value but it's been done over and over again in Montreal and then we wonder why players avoid Canada?
That has absolutely nothing to do with starting the goaltender who is playing better on a team with no established first. The new culture has to start with meritocracy no ifs ands buts or maybe.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Allen was literally the number 1 goalie of the blues for several years.
That's a funny comment considering Montebeault has never been a decent backup goaltender in the nhl, let alone a starter. Montebeault has a few good games, and people think he's a top goalie now lol.

Was Carey Price playing 82 nhl games? Because the idea that you only play one goaltender makes 0 sense.
Also, Allen didn't allow any bad goals and didn't have a bad game, so this whole enragement over Allen having started is absurd.
Yeah he was literally the number one who lost his starting position to Elliot who was who the Blues opted to go with for the post season. Did you miss the part where I mentioned any length of time? My bad for not using great in that sentence.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That has absolutely nothing to do with starting the goaltender who is playing better on a team with no established first. The new culture has to start with meritocracy no ifs ands buts or maybe.

I think they are doing a fine job at a new culture so far. Many from outside of Montreal have noticed.

If we were shooting for the playoffs, I'd question things a bit more. However, this is a rebuild season and the players and coaches respect Allen. It might have been his last chance to stay #1. We will see about that.

I personally don't get the point of putting some decisions under the microscope. Our herd is hard to understand cause some have Tank Fever and others are now thinking playoffs.

Yeah he was literally the number one who lost his starting position to Elliot who was who the Blues opted to for the post season. Tells it all right there.

Allen is not a undisputed #1 but he was our #1 to start the season. He's had a rough few games since the Wings game and they went back to him after Monty got two starts in a row. Pretty sure Monty gets the next start and we go from there.

What do you want? Playoffs or Tank? You know we are falling in the middle of that right? MSL is not going to overact in a rebuild season. Reality and he's focused on youth development and also stability for players. I don't see problems

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I have seen several teams so far this year go on long losing streaks...we may have a nightmare road trip ahead.
The signs are there.

The vets are simply not up to the job.
Shades of the Flyers coming down the pike!

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Some good points...............that being said, it's not right for them to be so bad, and have the kids watch. Leading by example would be a good thing, for this younger crowd.
No one expected much from our vets, as they were the product of a clown GM.....but they surely have more than that to offer, and mail it in every night....
From a fiscal standpoint you can't sit out that many vets with big contracts especially if you are looking to move some of those contracts. Still so many games to play I am confident the GM's and coach are doing their job. They can't get wrapped up in what the fans want otherwise it would be absolute chaos.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Without getting into the nitty gritty, I see no difference with or without Edmonston and Matheson.

Yes but there is a interesting dynamics unfolding between those who have Tank Fever and the new group who are putting management and coaching decisions under he microscope cause they want to win and make the playoffs?

Trade Eddy, Monahan, Anderson ASAP
vs
Why is Xhekaj and Monty not playing... the goal is winning games right?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He doesn't suck, he's overpaid. Definitely a bottom 6F in the NHL.

One guy I really expected growth from this year is Evans. Seems like he took a step back vs a step forward.
I've always worried about his fortitude. I'm not sure he's suited for a 4th line role. For me the Evans and Pittlicks of the world are clearly players we can and need to improve on.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe I’m wrong but did they even get a shot on goal during the 5 on 3?

I don't think they did. I think they dilly dallied for most of it and Caufield's shot was blocked when they eventually got a shot.

Kind of dumb to skate around with it when the 3 defenders are collapsed down low. Basically, it's simple. Win the faceoff, gain entry and then look for the 1st good one timer you can get with 2 guys near the net.

Anyways, At least MSL is playing his talent on 5/3. Ducharme didn't even play Caufield in that spot in many situations

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Yeah he was literally the number one who lost his starting position to Elliot who was who the Blues opted to go with for the post season. Did you miss the part where I mentioned any length of time? My bad for not using great in that sentence.

Literally no. The blues traded Elliott and made Allen their number 1 goalie.
Allen was the blues number 1 goalie for multiple years. I'm not sure how that doesn't qualify for any great length of time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've always worried about his fortitude. I'm not sure he's suited for a 4th line role. For me the Evans and Pittlicks of the world are clearly players we can and need to improve on.

It's a problem yes. Because Armia does well when he plays top 6 with better players but fades when he plays bottom 6. Anderson is like that too.

I liked what Pitlick did for us last year but I will always be careful with how players look in a disaster season. Hudon looked good before the KK draft too.

I really liked Evans but don't like what I see so far this season. I expected a step forward, not back.

I am content though cause if we had secondary scoring, we would be moving closer to top 16 vs bottom 5-10 range.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Yes but there is a interesting dynamics unfolding between those who have Tank Fever and the new group who are putting management and coaching decisions under he microscope cause they want to win and make the playoffs?

vs
I accept the Tank if it happens, but I’m not a fan of humiliating losses.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019

vs
I think they are trying to control Xhekaj regarding his decision making on the ice at times. I think he tends to play out of position, in some cases. I understand thats not what people want to hear but there has to be a system and he needs to learn to play within that system. I am sure he will play in the next game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I accept the Tank if it happens, but I’m not a fan of humiliating losses.

It sucks to loose yes. Game would have been different if Allen didn't allow that 1st soft goal. Can't believe a soft goal happened early in the game against him again.

It was only humiliating cause we opened up in the 3rd in attempts to tie it. I'm fine with it cause I rather be closer to bottom 10 vs top 16.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I think they are trying to control Xhekaj regarding his decision making on the ice at times. I think he tends to play out of position in some cases i understand thats not what people want to hear but there has to be a system and he needs to learn to play within that system.
I see what you see. My counter is that he’s been very good at covering up for himself. The other team is quite aware he’s playing that day. He has a good first pass and his point shot is as good or better than any other D on the team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does Harris deserve another start or not?

Remember, MSL is not going to do what past coaches has done. He's playing the long game, not the short game.

Very possible that both Xhekaj/Wideman are back and Harris/Kova are not. Not because they suck or are struggling but he's trying to get ice time for everyone. It can't go on forever but it might for a month.

Seems to me like MSL is sticking with player chemistry with his lines and pairings. Making little changes here and there but you can clearly see him trying to provide stability

I think they are trying to control Xhekaj regarding his decision making on the ice at times. I think he tends to play out of position, in some cases. I understand thats not what people want to hear but there has to be a system and he needs to learn to play within that system. I am sure he will play in the next game.

He's having one hell of a season but he's got development and growth to go through. No doubt about it, there are some nit picking flaws we can find if we search for them.

Like I said in another post, I trust MSL more than I trust myself so I'm steering clear of questioning him personally.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
So the new offside rule is breaking the plane, like it is for a touchdown in football. So even though his skate was off the ice, the heel of his skate was still touching the plane of the blue-line while the puck was brought over. It was onside but worth the challenge.
That was my understanding maybe it is just me but it seem clear the there is space between the skate and line so he wasn’t breaking the plane…

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Pulled the plug early as well. Dystopian nightmare.

72ntuj.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: holy and FloJack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad