The Habs Lounge Thread II (Ric Flair-Level Intoxication Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
On an unrelated note, any of you know of a good Whiskey to start with as a beginner ? Want to introduce my GF to whiskey and since I'm not a whiskey encyclopedia myself.

I know some of you are though !

Analyzer*

Wiser's. I'm pretty sure that **** is tame.

It doesn't help I'm eating stew.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
On an unrelated note, any of you know of a good Whiskey to start with as a beginner ? Want to introduce my GF to whiskey and since I'm not a whiskey encyclopedia myself.

I know some of you are though !
You should have her try WhiskeySeven first.

Trust me, I am a Whiskey connoisseur.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You should let have her try WhiskeySeven first.

Trust me, I am a Whiskey connoisseur.

Should I be mad at that ? I don't even know man... I mean... She's not under 18 or anything so I don't know if he'll want some.

I-Ain-t-Even-Mad-the-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-30565881-400-300.png

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There's really a lot to be had in the 50$ range. Johnnie is not bad, I just mean I could get better for the money.

Are you a casual drinker, a newbie ? Informe moi.
I don't know much about scotch but Johnnie is bad unless you spring for the good stuff (not Black or Red), and even then... you could have better.

Personally speaking, while the classic W7 is my favourite drink to get drunk, I much prefer wine. As much as I love drinking, and it's a lot, I don't like the snobbery associated with it.

The only hard and fast rules I have are as follows:

1. Jack Daniels is poison. It's not whiskey, it's not rye, it's not even bourbon. It's a corn mash bourbon distilled and brewed by satan himself. It's awful. You couldn't PAY ME to drink it. I've ordered second drinks just to get the taste of Jack out of my mouth whenever I accidently get a Jack+7.
2. Beer snobs are the worst, much worse than wine snobs. And beer, at my age, doesn't seem to work with my body. I dunno what it is but I'm a bloated, farting mess after drinking beer so I try to avoid it. Granted when I drink, I drink a lot of it but still. Maybe it's a celiac's/gluten thing, I dunno.
3. Shotgun/chug two (cheap, but not light) beers back to back and open another one. Then, soon, you're on a level and can ride it out while having a great buzz.
4. Breath in, tilt your head back, shoot the shot down, swallow and breathe out. Congrats - now you can take a shot like it's meant to and not gag and grimace like 16 year old at prom.
5. When you're drunk, don't drink more. Hold on to the drink in your hand and sip casually, talk a lot, etc. See how you are in 5 minutes (when I'm drunk I go by song changes, or pee brakes) if you feel the same, keep drinking your drink, if you feel very light and tight slow down - definitely don't order another one. I'm a good drinker because I don't overdo it (often).
6. It's only alcoholism if it affects your life in any way which doesn't fit your principals. If you drink when you're having fun and it doesn't affect your wallet, your work or your health in an unacceptable way, so be it. Drinking is never the cure to sadness, just the lubricant for fun and social interactions.

And I won't even dignify the suggestions that my encounters with women are in any way illegal or below the age of consent. Won't. Even. The mere suggestion is an insult and it behoves me to address the issue every time.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I also forgot to add that I'd like it to be single malt.

go for the taste, not the quality, par exemple, Chevas a un p'tit gout et une odeur de mélasse pas désagréable en plus du gout du scotch, pour un non initié, c'est ça qu'il faut chercher, un 10 ans, un 15 ans, un 25 ans, single malt, blended, le type de fut, whatever... pour quelqu'un qui en a jamais (ou presque) bu, aucune différence... mais les arômes extérieures (autres que le scotch), même si t'es pas habitué, tu peux les reconnaitre et les apprécier, et si elle apprécie, à ce moment là tu pourra y faire essayer (et toi aussi par la même occasion) différentes bouteilles.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
There's really a lot to be had in the 50$ range. Johnnie is not bad, I just mean I could get better for the money.

Are you a casual drinker, a newbie ? Informe moi.

Pretty casual, I pretty much only drink beer or whiskey, but I'm far from knowing the different kinds of whiskey and whatnot.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
go for the taste, not the quality, par exemple, Chevas a un p'tit gout et une odeur de mélasse pas désagréable en plus du gout du scotch, pour un non initié, c'est ça qu'il faut chercher, un 10 ans, un 15 ans, un 25 ans, single malt, blended, le type de fut, whatever... pour quelqu'un qui en a jamais (ou presque) bu, aucune différence... mais les arômes extérieures (autres que le scotch), même si t'es pas habitué, tu peux les reconnaitre et les apprécier, et si elle apprécie, à ce moment là tu pourra y faire essayer (et toi aussi par la même occasion) différentes bouteilles.

I don't know, I went to a whiskey bar two years ago when I wanted to get in whiskey and the barman told me to always start with a single malt and he showed me the spring water trick. Since then I'm hooked.

I guess Chivas 10 is pretty soft to start with also.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
J'ai jamais bu/dégusté de bourbon/whisky/scotch.
Je suis un beer geek, j'aime pas mal tous les styles de bières.
J'ai déjà suivi des cours de dégustations de bières (je sais pas si ça peut être utile?)
Quels scotchs/bourbons me conseillez-vous pour commencer?

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I don't think it matters really. The perception is that no matter who's in charge, they're really just second fiddle to who's really leading this province. We pay more taxes on products and revenues than the rest of the country and one party is trying to convince us that we're better off without the federal help, it's ridiculous.

I was for the bill 195 to pass in a very progressive way, but it's just not the time economically to do such a thing. There's much more pressing needs for now and that's why the Liberal party had to come back.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't know, I went to a whiskey bar two years ago when I wanted to get in whiskey and the barman told me to always start with a single malt and he showed me the spring water trick. Since then I'm hooked.

I guess Chivas 10 is pretty soft to start with also.

yeah, the blended example wasnt the best as it's true there's a huge difference between single and blended...

but the idea is that for someone who never drank Scotch, la qualité influence peu (well yeah, Jack D, true!), faut juste trouver les bouteilles qui ont un gout prononcé (prononcé veux pas dire corsé), pas obligatoirement de grande qualité, c'est comme pour la bouffe, les trucs hyper raffinés, quand t'en as jamais mangé, tu reconnaitra pas qu'il y a 7 ou 8 épices différentes dans ton assiette, tu te commande un truc ou ya que 2 ou 3 épices que tu peux reconnaitre facilement, et tu upgrade tranquillement...

l'exemple du Chevas c'était ça (et il y en a plein d'autres), c'est pas le top, mais après deux ou trois sip, le gout de caramel est évident, et l'odeur aussi.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
J'ai déjà suivi des cours de dégustations de bières (je sais pas si ça peut être utile?)

bourbon ? c'est bon pour désinfecter l'estomac et donner un buzz, c'est tout ;)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

T'as pris ca ou? Le cours.

Sinon, commence par quelque chose de "doux" comme ECWEHRF32I dit.

Pour boire ton whiskey, la meilleur facon c'est avec de l'eau (Spring, obviously). Peu importe ce que les autres vont dire, c'est vraiment ca. Tu met un peu d'eau dans ton verres (Au compte goute, vraiment) pour relaxer l'alcohol. Comme ca, tes papilles deviennent pas numb et tu goute vraiment. Don't do it if you're just looking for a buzz, obviously.

bourbon ? c'est bon pour désinfecter l'estomac et donner un buzz, c'est tout ;)

J'ai gouté deux ou trois bourbon qui était sur la coche, généralise pas. Quelque Rye aussi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille