Post-Game Talk: The Habs and the Hab Nots: Montreal - 4, Pens -1

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
We didn't need more hits, pugilists or anything of the sort. I'll never understand why that is so often the default fall back position here.

We needed guys like Gallagher and Eller being heavy on pucks, getting on their man as soon as he got possession, winning board battles, nudging their goalie etc.

If the puck was on the wall, it was Montreal's.

All the things you mentioned are things Farnham does and things Adams and Ebbett are either incapable or unwilling to do.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
We weren´t really ready to play in this one and the Habs earned this win.

That said, the Habs are a great defensive team and they´re 16-0 when scoring the first for a reason. It doesn´t help when that first goal is scored by cheating and the refs don´t see that. We should have a PP instead and maybe it would be a completely different game. And not only that, they send Downie out for a GOALIE INTERFERENCE minutes later. The refs were a complete joke tonight and the Habs could do everything they wanted. Terrible stuff.

Fleury should´ve had a 2nd goal, it was a real softie. Other than that, it´s hard to blame him on the others. He made some nice saves when the Pens defense was allowing free chances but it was too late. The game was already gone after the Habs´ 3rd goal.

Defense was bad. Particularly Bortuzzo and Scuderi, they are so slow. Harrington is a fan favourite here, but he doesn´t impress me at all. Another rough game for him. It doesn´t help that he plays with bad D-partners, but the kid is -8(!!!) in 6 games and we´ve lost almost everytime with him in the lineup. Coincidence? Who knows, but maybe not completely... I don´t like +/- as a measure, but -8 in 6 games? Seriously? Even Pouliot is +1. Too much of a difference to overlook, even if it´s a bit misleading. Just too much.

That said, Bortuzzo is even worse, he´s REALLY BAD lately. Like really bad.

We can´t draw the penalties at all and MJ knows it and even says it. Yet he benches Farnham for Ebbett or Adams. Mind-boggling.

We are losing 1-3 with 6 minutes left and MJ sends Adams and company out there. They obviously not only waste time but they even allow a goal. Goc has 3 pts on a season, that´s less than Craig Adams. Yet some people saw 3C potential in him. Offensive blackhole, he´s useful on PK and when we need to protect the lead. He has no business being on the ice when we are playing catch-up. Just like Adams, they are actually very similar players this season. Goc looks better than him, but I´m still disappointed. Time to admit the truth.

Rust has no finish and Ebbett is just kinda there. Useless. Just like Spaling, who should be a 4th liner come PO time.

Crosby, Malkin, Perron and Bennett were the only forwards that looked dangerous. Not enough against a very good defensive team and playing a catch-up.

As much as Martin is criticized here, we need him back. Maatta too. I´m not comfortable with Harrington and/or Bortuzzo going into the POs. One Scuderi is too much already.

Despres was probably our best defenseman tonight (not that its saying much this time). An OK game for him. See folks, I don´t hate him at all. The effort was there, as always, but there were still some turnovers. So, more like a lesser of evils than good.

Also, my post was too long and I forgot to mention Chris Kunitz there. He was trash again, unfortunately. Maybe, just maybe we shouldn´t be wasting Beaus talent on that line.

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Putting Beau on that line gives us 3 2nd lines though.

And one could argue Sids line is a 1st
Yup. Hopefully Malkin is happy about it as well. Rust & Spaling, enjoy. I mean, when everyone is healthy, then I would be OK with that 3rd line. But Comeau and Horns are not coming back anytime soon. You can´t burn Geno with 2 blackholes like that.

If Farnham is not IN against the Bruins, I´m gonna be FURIOOOUUS around here. By furious I mean furious. Mike Johnston is better than Bylsma, but he´s very strange with his lineups. Very strange. I´m listening to him and I am like.. "man, this coach knows".. And then he comes with a lineup like that....

Anyway, Boston is one nervous team right now. Very vulnerable and prone to taking stupid retaliatory penalties. Farnham HAS TO play against them. Ebbett is useless on the 4th line. We have to beat Boston and add to their serious woes. THat´s a perfect opponent for Bobby Farnham. If MJ doesn´t play him, I will lose a lot of faith in him. It makes too much sense, especially after a game like this.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Ebbett doesn't look good the game prior and MJ probably doesn't dress him.
Farnham is definitely better suited for that 4th line LW role.

MJ needs to stop foolin' around and give Geno Bennett for sure or both Kunitz and Bennett. Run a Spaling-Sutter-Rust 3rd line maybe.

This team will be really fun to watch when both Horny and Comeau come back.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I still want Babcock to coach this team next year. If he comes asking, i hope JR will say "sure thing" and can the coaching staff. Sure, we will still ***** about coaching but he's the best in the game and he will get the most out of the players even when they get injured and we wont have friggin ADAMS on the roster anymore. :) Also a Babcock coached team are good vs Flyers and Bruins.

Babcock is a great coach, but he has his pets too. If MJ proves himself in playoffs, I've got no issue with keeping him. What would suck is if we fired him and Babcock takes a job elsewhere. :\

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I still want Babcock to coach this team next year. If he comes asking, i hope JR will say "sure thing" and can the coaching staff. Sure, we will still ***** about coaching but he's the best in the game and he will get the most out of the players even when they get injured and we wont have friggin ADAMS on the roster anymore. :) Also a Babcock coached team are good vs Flyers and Bruins.

It will take this board about 5 games to declare that Babcock is worse than Bylsma, guaranteed. And the only reason why Adams won't be on the roster is because he won't have a contract anymore.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Do you guys think Downie stays on the top line and top PP down the road or on and off or not at all?

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
Borts game has fallen off a cliff these last few. If he isn't playing with a decidedly edgy game he is useless.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
He'll come down when Hornqvist comes back but Perron-Sid-Downie has been excellent.

Exactly, Hornqvist is still out for a couple more weeks which means in those few weeks Downie will most likely play with Sid and Perron and on the top PP with Sid and Kunitz. On a side note now is the best time to pick up Downie in fantasy leagues especially if they count PIM.

ComplianceBuyout

Feb 18, 2009
Montreal
Downie needs to be in the top 6. IMO, he'll be great with either 87 or 71. He is exactly what we need more of in this team. Sucks he comes with "bad history", but we need more players that dont take any bs from other players and also have skill.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Borts game has fallen off a cliff these last few. If he isn't playing with a decidedly edgy game he is useless.
Tootoo beat the crap out of him which basically was a game changer for NJ. Bortuzzo looks like a little kid out there, instead of being a warrior. He absolutely has to find his confidence and start to do his job, because he´s a liability right now.

The rest of his game is affected by it as well, I would say. He really is playing horrible hockey right now. But then again, there are also Scuds and Harrington that are pressbox candidates as well. Scuds is fully back to the last year´s level and Harrington is failing to get his job done so far in the NHL (-8 in 6 games is way too much for a defense-first guy and at some point you can´t just overlook it)

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Downie needs to be in the top 6. IMO, he'll be great with either 87 or 71. He is exactly what we need more of in this team. Sucks he comes with "bad history", but we need more players that dont take any bs from other players and also have skill.
This.

Since we have Downie, Crosby isn't getting abused or something. He also doesn't look like a stupid guy trying to fight stupidity of the oponent. If you want to go stupid or crazy we have Downie who can go Stupid and Crazy x1000. Just yesterday Gallagher wanted to talk to Crosby and he wasn't allowed because Downie went on his face instantly. Downie can be a dick, but he's our dick.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
This.

Since we have Downie, Crosby isn't getting abused or something. He also doesn't look like a stupid guy trying to fight stupidity of the oponent. If you want to go stupid or crazy we have Downie who can go Stupid and Crazy x1000. Just yesterday Gallagher wanted to talk to Crosby and he wasn't allowed because Downie went on his face instantly. Downie is a dick, but he's our dick.

I loved that. The Perron goal was great but that moment was the best of the night. Gallagher's teammates instantly went to Downie and Gallagher, and meanwhile Crosby was skating away unbothered.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Kinda taken back by how some people are saying Fleury "sucked". Wasn't his best game but the first goal was clear interference meanwhile he made some incredible saves throughout the game to keep us in it.

Our defense however was absolutely SICKENING. We got beat 1 on 1 to the outside on numerous occasions and gave up god knows how many odd-man rushes. It's as though we were too slow to keep up with MTL's quick counter-attack.

Just a bad overall team effort in my opinion. Also, this team really needs to start bearing down on these penalty issues. We've been spending way too much time in the box this season and last night was no exception. The Habs got under our skin on numerous occasions and we bit on it every time.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm a big supporter of Downie playing with our stars, but I still say Sid's RW should be PH. Especially now that his skillset will be maximized with Perron opposite of him. PH has two guys who can carry the puck and drive the play on his line. And he can focus on his game, which is corner and netfront work.

I'd say find Malkin a LW, and rotate Downie and Comeau on RW. As good as Comeau has looked, I'm surprised Downie has about the same production this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad