GDT: "The H-Team" | Carolina Hurricanes @ Montreal Canadiens | Bell Centre | 7:30 PM

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Naw, man, you totally convinced me Jussi is so great.

And I'm so mad! I'm glad you could infer that from my posts.

Not my intent to "convince" you of anything, I just think correcting inaccuracies is important.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Most of this board thought Seidenberg could be replaced by Brett Carson or Bryan Rodney and that Jamie McBain was a stud in the making, so just ignore it. People here love to make sweeping judgements based on tiny sample sizes. Bellemore has barely played sixty minutes of hockey and Murphy not much more than that FFS.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Was anyone actually expecting us to beat the Habs tonight? I know I wasn't...

Not expecting a win, but for a team desperately needing at least a point, I was expecting at least 20 shots on goal. Especially with 5 PP chances.

It was 2-1 in the 3rd. A win may have been beyond expectation, but the OT point was there for the taking.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
There is no reason for our power play and penalty kill to be this bad. We have the talent to be in the upper half of the league.

Yes they do even with injuries. This team has/HAD the talent to make the playoffs!!! (personale changes must take place; player and coaching staff. This season has been pitiful)Lack of effort from that talent isn't the issue. It looks that way due to them being .... pretty much everything by the other teams, both good ones and bad.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Not expecting a win, but for a team desperately needing at least a point, I was expecting at least 20 shots on goal. Especially with 5 PP chances.

It was 2-1 in the 3rd. A win may have been beyond expectation, but the OT point was there for the taking.

Agree. 5 PP chances and you manage 0 goals?

We have a semi decent PP, we are withing 3 of the Jets.

Good night everyone, hopefully I'll wake up to a big trade. McBain for PMB? :sarcasm:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Was anyone actually expecting us to beat the Habs tonight? I know I wasn't...

I'll second this. There's hope and there's reality. Montreal is firing on all cylinders and the Hurricanes, not so much. Tomorrow night is the game we need the W. Tonight would have been excellent but I'd rather see them beat WAS and TB. Maybe tonights loss inspires some mojo they take on a run. That's my hope but at this point I'm not holding my breath. I'm really frustrated like everyone here and countless other fans. However, the damage was done with a 7 game slide and regardless of the reason the odds aren't looking good. The best thing I can do as a fan of this team is keep reality in focus and consider the fact that we have good talent locked up for multiple seasons and another chance at a fresh start in October. I'm certainly not throwing in the towel but getting unglued at every loss, injury, mishap of this team is pointless at this stage.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
People here love to make sweeping judgements based on tiny sample sizes. Bellemore has barely played sixty minutes of hockey and Murphy not much more than that FFS.

So observing and commenting that the guy has stepped-in and played 5 very solid games of hockey now somehow equates to "sweeping judgments on tiny sample sizes"?

Funny, I thought that critiquing performance on what has already occurred was a valid, game-by-game exercise, and not sure where doing so is tantamount to someone making sweeping generalizations.

What I've noticed is that he's played smart, heads-up, and isn't lost out there at all. He doesn't waste motion and he's been anticipating, not chasing. He's been appropriate in his use of physical play by not botching his defensive responsibilities in order just to make a big hit. He's forcing things to the outside and he wins far more battles on the boards than loses and shows confidence as to where he's passing the puck while avoiding the stuff that bites. He doesn't just surrender the crease area like most of our smurfs who don't understand that the "dirty area" isn't automatically or magically-so simply by waving their sticks like Harry Potter wands...someone has to make it a ***** for the opposing players to be.

It doesn't matter if he's played 50 or 500 games, his last 5 have been all anyone could have asked for. Just because they have been his NHL debut games doesn't mean anyone is extrapolating anything. With so much poor play to contrast it with, it really isn't hard to pick out who's playing well these days.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Good night everyone, hopefully I'll wake up to a big trade. McBain for PMB? :sarcasm:

0 goals on 5 PP chances isn't great, but not completely "out there". 2 shots on 5 PP chances is just...sad. Pretty sure Montreal outshot the Canes on their own PP.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
If anything it's the opposite. In interviews about the power play muller has only preached keeping it simple. In fact Muller's system is too simple, we could use a real thinking man behind the bench. Maurice anyone?

It is a difficult thing to figure out how a line can be so dominant at even strength and ineffective with a man advantage. Like normalpsychology says, they are being screwed up, hesitating, shoot/pass?, not playing naturally, etc.. They look confused. Could be why they are missing the net, etc. (that moment of mental indecision). It really appears that this teams game has been scouted out and being that they don't have alot of depth, are easily nullified. Ineffective special teams to me are a good indicator of poor coaching in any sport. Muller can say whatever he wants, but whatever he's telling them to do or not do has not been working. PP, PK, and ES. You could look back and almost find the game where things started to sour.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
It's one thing this organization simply doesn't have: Real pressure from the fanbase.

I hear ya and agree with this concept. The problem is that it is very difficult to actually pull off for a number of reasons too extensive for a post. Not everyone agrees on what the problems are in total is a biggie. This is a business and it's the fanbase that pays for everything. The real only way to bring about change is to not put $ in their pockets. If fans don't go, buy merchandise, etc. and make it clear as to why, change WILL take place. If the stands are full there is little incentive for change. The fans do have power but it is a very difficult thing to exercise united. Stating displeasure here won't cut it. A large number of fans refusing to buy tickets and writing letters and e-mails as to why, would precipitate change. Money talks. Yapping on forums means little.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
I hear ya and agree with this concept. The problem is that it is very difficult to actually pull off for a number of reasons too extensive for a post. Not everyone agrees on what the problems are in total is a biggie. This is a business and it's the fanbase that pays for everything. The real only way to bring about change is to not put $ in their pockets. If fans don't go, buy merchandise, etc. and make it clear as to why, change WILL take place. If the stands are full there is little incentive for change. The fans do have power but it is a very difficult thing to exercise united. Stating displeasure here won't cut it. A large number of fans refusing to buy tickets and writing letters and e-mails as to why, would precipitate change. Money talks. Yapping on forums means little.

Yup...not buying tickets and merchandise will certainly bring about change. We've seen this owner do it before. Ever heard of Hartford?

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I think we kind of got out of our funk on Saturday, I think we're officially "back," or as "back" as we can be without Faulk and Ward.

That being said, this Habs team is very good. Close game but a loss, hopefully we can get it to OT and get the point.

this was so close to being right even with an ot loss if it wasn't for the missed early chances in the third.

Not even mad with this loss. Habs are a better team, we didn't lose ground on the Jets. Still, we blow on the powerplay which will be the number one reason if we don't make the playoffs.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Wow, last day. Internet is down, I watch the game on tv, Montreal-feed with french (!) commentary. Canes sucks. Power play sucks even more. I turn it off after two. Waking up, Canes lost the game.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh

Within 3 of the Jets? We have easily lost 6-7 points with our PP. There were a few games where if our PP just scored once, we could have gotten atleast a point if not 2.

I can't blame the coaches on the PP. They aren't the ones out there. They aren't the ones standing there like pylons. Watch any decent PP and those 5 guys are all moving, the passes are quick, and they are opening up lanes for themselves. Then watch our PP. All 5 guys stand still, if you're lucky, the 2 pointman will switch sides and the passes are far from quick. How do you expect them to open up any lanes when they just stand there hesitating passing the puck? I'm sure Muller, who ran a very successful PP in Montreal is telling these fools to stand there like pylons. It's up to the 5 guys on the ice to actually work and make the other 4 guys chase them around so you open a lane and aren't shooting pucks into shins.

GooGooMuck

May 15, 2009
Lancaster, PA
"Pulling the goalie only SECURES your loss! Just about every time."

This was the analysis of the game on Facebook, so apparently the problem is that we are not playing with a goalie. Brilliant.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
More of the same last night. Now 30th in power play at 12.7%.....epically low. They are also now 29th in penalty kill(76.9%). Makes you wonder how we are even still in running for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad