Salary Cap: The Guds days are gone, now it's time to look forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Honestly i'm more patient than most online. I am willing to watch and see. But from what i've seen so far... no. He can't and he plays with zero tenacity. Now i am willing to wait and see and let him show it. But I don't see it.

Haven't yet either. Good news is this is only his 2nd team(so not like hes bounced around and in this position). And last year wasnt enough time to judge...along with him missing the start of this season. For all we know he could go on a tear. Which is why I want him with Galchenyuk and Rust. Basically taking Geno's spot and seeing what he does with wingers like them. Yes they were all hurt recently so thats not what id start with but you know what i mean. Giving him a shut down 3rd line role did him no favors last year. We didnt even need that anyway for the playoffs. We needed scoring.

But hey, look at Brett Connelly. Remember when he was a complete bust at 6th overall by Tampa? He had his best season last year with the Caps at age 26 and now off to a hot start with the Panthers. They got him for 3.5 mil too...he could be a steal these next 4 years. Almost doubling his career high with 46 pts(24g22a) last year and already 4g 3a so far this year in 10 games. 6'3 RW. Would look nice on line 1. Especially at that price. Time to hit up Florida again

Brett Connolly Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

And he finally added that goal scoring from a role player on the Caps to help them win it all. Something they always lacked. Him and Eller were huge for them. That right there makes me want to add him. They should have kept him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It were me i see how things are with Chucky/Rust/Bjugs back.
If things look wonky in the Bjugs area again i start trying to sell him off like he did Guds. Highest bidder gets 'em.

Other than that, sit and wait til big names pop up. You have more flexibility now to fit in a big name players salary vs the need for exact $ in/out.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I love how this team is playing. I fear that Malkin will not buy into the structure when he returns. Assuming that he does I want additions to similarly buy in and not be brought in just to put up points.

Tanev may still prove to be an overpay but more like him.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This does absolutely nothing to say why Schultz is somehow better or more valuable than Faulk or Myers. Like how do you think this convinces me I'm wrong? Your entire argument is "you're wrong because I say you're wrong, and I'm right because I say I'm right".

Schultz hasn't played like a $5.5 million defenseman during his current contract. He wasn't particularly good in 2017-2018, and has been bad in each of the last 2 years. Those are actual facts on how he has played. He hasn't been better than guys like Myers in the last 3 years, that's just a fact. There is literally nothing available that suggests he is better. Production? Schultz is marginally more productive while being a pure OFD who's bad defensively. Analytics? Schultz is an analytical nightmare. You are completely stuck in 2017 with how you're evaluating Schultz, he looks like a shell of what he once was.

I put forth evidence in front of you, it's up to you to understand factors beyond the numbers and the play as a team as a whole.

He hasn't played enough over the last couple years for you to be this judgmental of him, and in fact not as bad off as you make it seem considering those factors. Not worth 5.5 with 6-35 =42 + 22 over 92 games isn't a steep enough drop off for anyone let alone a GM to worry about.

He's struggling, hello...the team is struggling, too.

It really is easy to see if you choose to look.

Team defense was a mess, and turnovers certainly didn't help those factors, but let's apply those factors to a guy who's out and somehow he was going to fix those factors. One guy.

It's still a factor and they still are without 26.0 in cap out with injuries.

Schultz might not be worth signing here for 7.0, but any GM can navigate and research as to why the last couple years were off just a bit.

There were plenty of times where players come back and are not themselves for a bit and not worth their contracts.

By your standards Geno isn't worth his contract.

That's not comparing players, but how they play to the worth of said contract.

Schultz hasn't been a net negative in years. He's a plus 56 since his arrival +22 in one of the years you are trying to tear him down for in only 63 games.

You are off, not by a little bit, but by a whole lot. Sorry the team is not as good/deep or functioning as it once was and all that affect it in UFA's, trades and injuries. Maybe he, or others are just not there to make things work. But he played well enough to earn him a contract both Reg./playoffs.

He's basically a sum of all the parts when he's there and when he's not? Yes. people are clamoring it was due to him not being there.

This season it's a reversal. Schultz while not looking great, he's a serviceable #2 behind Letang getting 3rd fiddle roster to feed and still a respectable .454 PPG with little help up front 5 on 5.

His best stretch was against WPG, COL and DAL (which coincides with the burst from the young guys) and his worst game was against VGK (everyone cooled off).

Thing is, the team really wasn't all that bad even in the losses.

So, I'm very positive Schultz will be just fine when the team is able to put 20/30 or more games together healthy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I love how this team is playing. I fear that Malkin will not buy into the structure when he returns. Assuming that he does I want additions to similarly buy in and not be brought in just to put up points.

I'm still not sure if I love how they are playing because it represents some sort of real change or if I'm just seeing survival. As for Malkin I think it's fair to wonder what he'll end up looking like when he comes back. But not due to buying in or not... when has he ever actually thumbed his nose at coaching? Even when he probably should have?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It were me i see how things are with Chucky/Rust/Bjugs back.
If things look wonky in the Bjugs area again i start trying to sell him off like he did Guds. Highest bidder gets 'em.

Other than that, sit and wait til big names pop up. You have more flexibility now to fit in a big name players salary vs the need for exact $ in/out.

It doesn't have to be the bigger names, just a fit. Though, who do they have to actually build around past the top 2 lines? Like I said, it doesn't have to be a big name, but it can't be a Pageau from Ottawa either.

I still think Perry on Malkin's RW could be fun to watch.

Guentzel, Crosby, Simon
Galchenyuk, Malkin, Perry
McCann, Janmark, Rust
ZAR, Blueger, Hornqvist

Bjug, Kahun for Perry, Janmark and a 5th

Dallas might need a change up since they are struggling.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm still not sure if I love how they are playing because it represents some sort of real change or if I'm just seeing survival. As for Malkin I think it's fair to wonder what he'll end up looking like when he comes back. But not due to buying in or not... when has he ever actually thumbed his nose at coaching? Even when he probably should have?

I think with his first couple games with his passion will come out again. He wants to push forward which is great. I think he gets it this year.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think with his first couple games with his passion will come out again. He wants to push forward which is great. I think he gets it this year.

Hope so. Big doubts after this injury and time on the shelf. I don't doubt his passion or commitment to the team. Only his capability to be the player he was just a couple seasons ago, physically.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I share the fear and agree we need buy-in but at the same time we need points. The guys we've got out there are beginning to run a little short on the nights Sid and Jake can't do it. Obviously we've got guys to come back in we expect points from but those points need to come.

Although arguably it was Dumo going down that was the straw that broke the camel's back...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I share the fear and agree we need buy-in but at the same time we need points. The guys we've got out there are beginning to run a little short on the nights Sid and Jake can't do it. Obviously we've got guys to come back in we expect points from but those points need to come.

Although arguably it was Dumo going down that was the straw that broke the camel's back...

Ha. Geez... you too?

Regardless you are right about one thing -- I love all the pashun, grit, determination, yadda yadda yadda. But I love goals more. Goals win games, to channel John Madden for a moment, here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I put forth evidence in front of you, it's up to you to understand factors beyond the numbers and the play as a team as a whole.

He hasn't played enough over the last couple years for you to be this judgmental of him, and in fact not as bad off as you make it seem considering those factors. Not worth 5.5 with 6-35 =42 + 22 over 92 games isn't a steep enough drop off for anyone let alone a GM to worry about.

He's struggling, hello...the team is struggling, too.

It really is easy to see if you choose to look.

Team defense was a mess, and turnovers certainly didn't help those factors, but let's apply those factors to a guy who's out and somehow he was going to fix those factors. One guy.

It's still a factor and they still are without 26.0 in cap out with injuries.

Schultz might not be worth signing here for 7.0, but any GM can navigate and research as to why the last couple years were off just a bit.

There were plenty of times where players come back and are not themselves for a bit and not worth their contracts.

By your standards Geno isn't worth his contract.

That's not comparing players, but how they play to the worth of said contract.

Schultz hasn't been a net negative in years. He's a plus 56 since his arrival +22 in one of the years you are trying to tear him down for in only 63 games.

You are off, not by a little bit, but by a whole lot. Sorry the team is not as good/deep or functioning as it once was and all that affect it in UFA's, trades and injuries. Maybe he, or others are just not there to make things work. But he played well enough to earn him a contract both Reg./playoffs.

He's basically a sum of all the parts when he's there and when he's not? Yes. people are clamoring it was due to him not being there.

This season it's a reversal. Schultz while not looking great, he's a serviceable #2 behind Letang getting 3rd fiddle roster to feed and still a respectable .454 PPG with little help up front 5 on 5.

His best stretch was against WPG, COL and DAL (which coincides with the burst from the young guys) and his worst game was against VGK (everyone cooled off).

Thing is, the team really wasn't all that bad even in the losses.

So, I'm very positive Schultz will be just fine when the team is able to put 20/30 or more games together healthy.

I don't even know where to start with this, Jesus. This is way too many words to basically say "I like Schultz and I refuse to believe he has been analytically terrible for 3 years".

Your arguments basically stem down to:

1. Schultz's basis stat line looks good, with being a plus player and putting up "good" production
2. Schultz's struggles are only this year (which is blatantly false), and Schultz's struggles are only because the team is struggling (which is even more false)
3. "You're wrong because I say you're wrong, and I'm right because I say I'm right"

That's basically what you took 441 words to say, those 3 points.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ha. Geez... you too?

Regardless you are right about one thing -- I love all the pashun, grit, determination, yadda yadda yadda. But I love goals more. Goals win games, to channel John Madden for a moment, here.

We need both. My fears about buy-in are less about Geno's mentality and more about everyone else unclenching their buttocks/whether Chucky and Bjoogs fit. We need their attacking skill. We're in a pickle if they can't play this type of hockey.

Edit: what fear I have about Geno's mentality is what happens if the rest of the team relaxes/the team doesn't score and he feels a need to be a hero. Geno was the guy bringing it most before he goes down.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We need both. My fears about buy-in are less about Geno's mentality and more about everyone else unclenching their buttocks/whether Chucky and Bjoogs fit. We need their attacking skill. We're in a pickle if they can't play this type of hockey.

Ah I gotcha. Yeah... that's a worry.

Gally I have some hope in doing that. Not so much for the other one.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I don't see why Geno can't. When we won back to back Cups Geno was as committed as anyone at playing Sully's system. Sure he has some bad habits sometimes in the regular season, but if we're being honest so do Sid and Letang.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't see why Geno can't. When we won back to back Cups Geno was as committed as anyone at playing Sully's system. Sure he has some bad habits sometimes in the regular season, but if we're being honest so do Sid and Letang.

Yeah trying to play playoff style hockey all regular season is dumb and I have no idea why people expect it as the norm. Every single playoffs barring a literal handful of games Malkin has always played like a borderline 3rd D out there. I don't get the hand-wringing over his commitment to "buy in."

And it's true regarding double standards. A few games ago Tanev turned the puck over badly which led directly to a goal (against Florida) but nobody is ever going to call him a "liability" or lacking in "buy in." People love to pick and choose.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let's look of the reality of Schultz:

1. He's an analytical trainwreck for the last 3 years. Even if you look at year to year, Schultz has been at least bad analytically in each year.
2. He's been crazy injury prone in the last 3 years. He missed 19 games in 2017-2018 and then missed 53 games in 2018-2019. Even if you want to point out that Schultz's missed games last year were due to 1 major injury, that major injury can very easily have a major impact on him going forward.
3. His offensive production has stalled out back to where it was in his Edmonton days. Even taking out this year, 42 points in 92 games isn't good for an offense only defenseman who's a huge net negative defensively. 37 points per 82 games isn't going to be good enough when Schultz doesn't have a 5v5 on ice save% of .937.
4. He's also supposed to be a threat to score goals from the point, but he's averaging only like 5 goals per 82 games over the last 3 years. If Schultz is only scoring 5 goals a season, Pettersson is very likely just as effective offensively.

He hasn't shown anything during his current contract to suggest that he's a defensively weak, #4 OFD. I honestly don't get how anyone can be satisfied with how he has played during his current contract. He's not better than guys like Myers and Faulk, he's just not.

Reactions: Pancakes

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Still question marks: Bjug, Gally, Kahun and I’d put McCann in there...how will they play this season slotted in their respective positions that ideally the team needs from them?...McCann so far isn’t able to produce offense at center....even at wing last year most of his goals were EN or SH...can he produce 5on5 offense for us? He’s young and needs more time, but I’m still not convinced

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't even know where to start with this, Jesus. This is way too many words to basically say "I like Schultz and I refuse to believe he has been analytically terrible for 3 years".

Your arguments basically stem down to:

1. Schultz's basis stat line looks good, with being a plus player and putting up "good" production
2. Schultz's struggles are only this year (which is blatantly false), and Schultz's struggles are only because the team is struggling (which is even more false)
3. "You're wrong because I say you're wrong, and I'm right because I say I'm right"

That's basically what you took 441 words to say, those 3 points.

Except you, again.... look past all the rest. Conveniently.

You basically want to go around in circles here. It doesn't line up with what you want to achieve. Schultz is bad and there's no reason for it. I refuse to do these circle jerks with you. Address the other points or we're done.

Edit: You finally address it in a later post and you still deny it will effect/affect him the team or anything else.

Tyler Meyers is a sloth and frankly an insult to Schultz.
You have a argument with Faulk but still not worthy. There's no proof to the contrary he is in fact better than Schultz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pens17

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Schultz has only played 199 games with the penguins so if he wasn't good for 63 thats a third of the games. And was crap in Edmonton.

I am not saying Shultz is bad but you are crazy to think he is better or would get more money than Faulk or Meyers on the open market. The only way Schultz ends up with a higher AAV at 30 yrs old is if his contract is 3 years or less. He will want 5 or 6 years and will take a lower AAV to get it . There are 10 defense in the league over 35.

Like I said i think he ends up 5.5-6 yrs on a 5 or 6 yr deal. If he gets any higher its not with the penguins.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Edit: what fear I have about Geno's mentality is what happens if the rest of the team relaxes/the team doesn't score and he feels a need to be a hero. Geno was the guy bringing it most before he goes down.

I guess. If Malkin comes in you still have the ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev and Guentzel - Sid - Simon lines which have been playing very well. We did very well in March with two lines and as long as Malkin and Bjugstad can go even we will be fine and I think it gives those other two lines a lot more space.

Not having to run that Blandisi 4th line and having Teddy and Tanev there instead will be huge at tilting match upsz

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Except you, again.... look past all the rest. Conveniently.

You basically want to go around in circles here. It doesn't line up with what you want to achieve. Schultz is bad and there's no reason for it. I refuse to do these circle jerks with you. Address the other points or we're done.

I have provided reasons why Schultz has played badly for the last 3 years. You're just ignoring them. The points you're making are bad points outside of mentioning his general stat line. You don't make any more points than the 3 I mentioned in that reply. You mention his basic stats like points and +/-, blame any struggles on the team and then just say "I'm right because I say so". That's literally all you did in your post.

Do you want me to go through your post and put each one of your statements in 1 of those 3 boxes? Because I can do that with basically every line you had in that post.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Would anyone trade Schultz for Gogo and a 4th? You get 1 extra year under contract for about the same price. This would give them a stop gap until POJ or Addison breaks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad