TBN: The Growing Influence of Ralph Krueger

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Column: Ralph Krueger's influence isn't limited to the Sabres' bench anymore

This a good article by Mike Harrington. :eek2:

Krueger has the ears of everyone in KeyBank Center now. Remember that he's far more than just a coach, as his team-building skills have been on display for years in Switzerland and with Team Europe in the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
As expected, his power has grown exponentially with the firing of Jason Botterill and assistant GMs Randy Sexton and Steve Greeley.

Krueger was instrumental in landing Taylor Hall
Tobias Rieder played for Krueger at the World Cup and with Krueger's son in the World Championships
It's clear he was in on the decision to sign Girgensons, Irwin and Eakin.

"All these players that are coming in now have been targeted with clear responsibilities, with clear roles within the team. We've gotten stronger in every way."

It's also obvious that Krueger was involved in deciding who was not kept.

He talks about the new management style:
"Kevyn Adams' style is very inclusive and he's an excellent listener and also a strong leader when it comes to his processes to make decisions. I came here to be a part of a team of people. Just like with my coaching staff when I speak, I'm speaking for the room and not just for myself.
Kevyn carries that same philosophy for the management team and we are all connected and integrated. The Pegulas have been actively involved in all the discussions we've had strategically over the last month. It's been a very healthy environment now. Everything is on the table."

Harrington interprets this as he prefers this to his relationship with Botterill. I agree. While it's unusual for coaches to have this much influence over personnel decisions, I think successful GM's hire coaches that share their philosophy about how the game should be played. The Sabres have been a mess in that regard. I remember after one game a frustrated Housley was being grilled by the media and blurted out something like "I can only use the players that Jason gives me". I don't think Krueger had much say either with Botterill. Dalton Smith and a bunch of right side dmen weren't his idea.

I think the mention of the Pegulas being involved has to scare people. But they did have to approve of the Staal trade and the Hall signing. I think we're better off this way with everything being explained to them and the reasons why Adams and Krueger are doing what they do. Because there will be bumps in the road. The Pegulas can't tear everything down by claiming they weren't involved. They own these decisions.

Last edited:

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
It's all feel good right now but the only thing that matters to us fans after a decade of the worst hockey ever played in the NHL is wins.

I'm certainly backing Ralph right now but talk to me next May. If the Sabres can't make the playoffs with this lineup (I expect a vet goalie brought in), a total
shakeup of the roster will be in order and it will be back to ground zero.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
"It's also obvious that Krueger was involved in deciding who was not kept."

That statement does make me a little nervous, because he so heavily relied on Johan Larsson, and let him walk...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I find it interesting that Ralph is happier with Adams than Botts given the long relationship he had with Botts and his family.

And as far as the Pegulas owning the results now because they have a bigger voice in the process, how did that work after they pushed for UFA signings on 7/1/2011 that blew up in their faces?

This off season has been a mix of moves that I question (Quinn over Rossi & Eakin over Larsson) and moves that look great on paper (Staal trade & Hall signing). Ultimately, it all means nothing if the team isn't better once games start.

Reactions: Chainshot and jc17

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
It's all feel good right now but the only thing that matters to us fans after a decade of the worst hockey ever played in the NHL is wins.

I'm certainly backing Ralph right now but talk to me next May. If the Sabres can't make the playoffs with this lineup (I expect a vet goalie brought in), a total
shakeup of the roster will be in order and it will be back to ground zero.
Fair enough.

What Goalie would they get in your opinion? I don't think I'd want any of the UFAs left on the market, and I can't see a trade happening. Who would they trade for?

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
I find it interesting that Ralph is happier with Adams than Botts given the long relationship he had with Botts and his family.

And as far as the Pegulas owning the results now because they have a bigger voice in the process, how did that work after they pushed for UFA signings on 7/1/2011 that blew up in their faces?

This off season has been a mix of moves that I question (Quinn over Rossi & Eakin over Larsson) and moves that look great on paper (Staal trade & Hall signing). Ultimately, it all means nothing if the team isn't better once games start.

I was under the impression Ralph knew Jason's father but did not know Jason until he called him regarding the coaching job?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

That statement does make me a little nervous, because he so heavily relied on Johan Larsson, and let him walk...

And the Bills relied heavily on Lesean Mccoy until they got better elsewhere and kicked him to the curb, which turned out correctly.

You make the best with what you got, until you get the pieces you need.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Botts was a turd, and for all the accommodations he got coming to us out of Pittsburgh, it just proved that he needed more time before he was ready. His assessment's were completely off on the forward group. He sure did love defensemen.

Reactions: valet

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
"All these players that are coming in now have been targeted with clear responsibilities, with clear roles within the team. We've gotten stronger in every way."
Eakin - scapegoat
Irwin - lazy benchwarmer, essentially cannonfodder sacrificed during the robbery when Eakin goes full judas
Staal - the good but old guy that dies at the end of the movie to save the others
Hall - the bitter ex-con recruited last for the heist, recasted in the follow up movie released in 2022

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Eakin - scapegoat
Irwin - lazy benchwarmer, essentially cannonfodder sacrificed during the robbery when Eakin goes full judas
Staal - the good but old guy that dies at the end of the movie to save the others
Hall - the bitter ex-con recruited last for the heist, recasted in the follow up movie released in 2022
Sobotka is the monkey.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

When all you have is a pair of pliers and vice grips when you should be using a socket wrench you'll manage and ask your employer to get you a socket wrench set. You'll keep using those pliers and vice grips and rounding off nuts and bolts until you get the sockets. Krueger didn't have the tools he wanted. He used the tools he had.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
When all you have is a pair of pliers and vice grips when you should be using a socket wrench you'll manage and ask your employer to get you a socket wrench set. You'll keep using those pliers and vice grips and rounding off nuts and bolts until you get the sockets. Krueger didn't have the tools he wanted. He used the tools he had.

The tool worked though. Those pliers out-socketed that socket wrench.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
By the comments here it seems like people think we just let Larry go, ho hum we’ll find something else.

Correct me if I’m wrong but we signed Eakin after Larsson signed in Arizona? If that is the case it would seem to me that we had an offer out there for him and let him test FA. He decided to go elsewhere and then we hopped on Eakin.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
By the comments here it seems like people think we just let Larry go, ho hum we’ll find something else.

Correct me if I’m wrong but we signed Eakin after Larsson signed in Arizona? If that is the case it would seem to me that we had an offer out there for him and let him test FA. He decided to go elsewhere and then we hopped on Eakin.
The dollar amounts suggest they let him go. Larsson only received $1.2 million/yr. If the Sabres made an offer it would have been at least that and probably more. They gave Eakin $2.25 million/yr.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
The dollar amounts suggest they let him go. Larsson only received $1.2 million/yr. If the Sabres made an offer it would have been at least that and probably more. They gave Eakin $2.25 million/yr.
Yeah he signed for 1.4 aav for 2 years. I would bet we had offered more and were willing to sign him for more. But allowed him to shop himself around. He decided to go to Arizona so then we signed Eakin. If we had signed Eakin before Larsson signed then it makes sense to say we let him walk and turned our attention elsewhere. The fact that we didn’t sign a depth C until Larsson went elsewhere suggests to me we had a competitive offer for him. He just chose to go elsewhere :dunno:

Reactions: Eichel9

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Yeah he signed for 1.4 aav for 2 years. I would bet we had offered more and were willing to sign him for more. But allowed him to shop himself around. He decided to go to Arizona so then we signed Eakin. If we had signed Eakin before Larsson signed then it makes sense to say we let him walk and turned our attention elsewhere. The fact that we didn’t sign a depth C until Larsson went elsewhere suggests to me we had a competitive offer for him. He just chose to go elsewhere :dunno:
The Sabres weren't interested in him.
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/jo...logue-with-sabres-before-leaving-for-coyotes/
“Maybe it changed a lot for me, I don’t know,” Larsson of the Sabres firing Botterill and hiring Kevyn Adams as GM. “It’s a different view from a new GM and everything.”

Larsson said he and the Sabres had little dialogue as he entered free agency.

“We talked a little bit, but I think the interest was kind of very low from Buffalo,” he said on a Zoom call Sunday, a day after inking a deal with a $1.4 million average annual value. “So I didn’t really feel the excitement from them.”

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
The Sabres weren't interested in him.
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/jo...logue-with-sabres-before-leaving-for-coyotes/
“Maybe it changed a lot for me, I don’t know,” Larsson of the Sabres firing Botterill and hiring Kevyn Adams as GM. “It’s a different view from a new GM and everything.”

Larsson said he and the Sabres had little dialogue as he entered free agency.

“We talked a little bit, but I think the interest was kind of very low from Buffalo,” he said on a Zoom call Sunday, a day after inking a deal with a $1.4 million average annual value. “So I didn’t really feel the excitement from them.”
Thanks for that! Yeah I read in the comment section on capfriendly that his brother was saying on Twitter that he wanted to come back. That’s a little concerning if you ask me but we’ll see how the team looks when they start up.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/j...logue-with-sabres-before-leaving-for-coyotes/

Eakin and Larsson both signed on 10/10. And Johan has said that the Sabres basically showed little interest in re-signing him after Adams replaced Botts.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Reactions: allsilverdreams

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
There's a netflix series about coaching, different episode for each coach.

One episode about Jose Mourinho talks about him basically doing what Ralph is trying to to. Getting leaders, guys with compete, even if it meant finding them in lower leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad