The Greatest Photos in the History of Hockey

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This thread is great!

A few more...

1972:
wayne_gretzky-gordie-howe.jpg

1983 (?): I think this photo is when they had four 100+ point scorers on one team for the first time:
wayne-gretzky-mark-messier-jari-kurri-and-glenn-anderson-of-the-great-edmonton-oiler-teams-of-the-1980s-are-the-only-skaters-to-record-over-200-points-in-the-postseason.png

1984:
mark-messier.jpg

Early 90s Tampa Bay publicity stunt:
Manon-Rheaume.jpg

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I'm surprised it took until page 3 for this one...

goldthorpe.jpg

Just for the heck of it, here's the only other on-ice shot I've ever seen of Bill Goldthorpe, during a 19-game stint with the Broome County Dusters.

bilde

nukfan94

Aug 25, 2011
Victoria, BC
trevor_linden_gallery_23.jpg

Objectively I'd say the Bobby Orr one. As a Canucks fan, though, this one is the best for me.

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Aarrgghh, that's hitting below the belt, Killion! Still regretting that I never made it to a Ducks game (or a L.I. Cougars one for that matter, briefly a farm club of the WHA parent Cougars)

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
trevor_linden_gallery_23.jpg

Objectively I'd say the Bobby Orr one. As a Canucks fan, though, this one is the best for me.

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

Magic. You can just see the exhaustion on Linden's face, the toll the series put on him. The blood on his jersey just completes it. Keep in mind this was only moments after Messier had attacked him in the dying moments of Game 6.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

Nitpicking, but what's so great about that? That goal made it 5-4 for Canada in the 2nd game of the 1987 CC final, but USSR (Kamensky) still scored an equalizer a few minutes later.

Mikael Granlund's "Ilmaveivi" vs. Russia in the 2011 WHC:

granlund1_1405MN_jm.jpg

And then Pasi Nurminen's Ilmaveivi (har har) a few days later:

nurminenkaatui2005MT_503_uu.jpg

img101455-previewImage.jpg

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nitpicking, but what's so great about that? That goal made it 5-4 for Canada in the 2nd game of the 1987 CC final, but USSR (Kamensky) still scored an equalizer a few minutes later.

Mikael Granlund's "Ilmaveivi" vs. Russia in the 2011 WHC:

(...)

And then Pasi Nurminen's Ilmaveivi (har har) a few days later:

(...)

K... You have the two greatest players ever celebrating a goal in all their goalie... Then you post a photo of Mikael freaking Granlund scoring a goal in the WHC ? In the semi finals... Like what.

Last edited by a moderator:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
K... You have the two greatest players ever celebrating a goal in all their goalie... Then you post a photo of Mikael freaking Granlund scoring a goal in the WHC ? In the semi finals... Like what.

Yeah, so?

That is a classic goal in Finnish hockey history, and even WHC history. Deal with it!

A photo of Lemieux and Gretzky celebrating a goal is fine and well, but it would make more sense if it was a game-winner, that's all. And I did admit that I was nitpicking.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Here's another bizzarre picture of Messier, this one with Goldie Hawn and Burt Reynolds, in front of a Sabres logo. Back when Messier had hair.

B-snmc_WkAAOA-R.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad