Music: The Greatest Frontmen in Rock n Roll History

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I don't write the rules, but to be a great frontman I think you have to have an iconic persona. Prince, Freddie, Roth, Morrison, etc... You have a larger than life persona. It's actually more than they do onstage if that makes sense.

Clapton is a frontman for his band. He does the talking, it's his band, but I just don't see him that way. At least in this context. He is one of the greatest musicians alive and a top 5 concert of all time for me as well.

I think you're right on the money Led Zappa. I've been to see Rush 7 times and not once was there a lull in the crowd despite the fact that Geddy Lee barely says 10 words to the crowd all show. Similarly, every time i go to see Sammy Hagar the party never ends, even though I like Rush's music a lot more. Sammy just knows how to make everyone at the show have a great time. It simply depends which act you're seeing.

The original comment by shareef was 'who gives a ****' which he has now transformed into 'I don't care about that stuff' when it became clear that lots of people do care about that stuff. Going to a rock and roll concert is supposed to be about enjoying your favorite music and having fun. And people accomplish those goals in different ways

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
This is all fine, doesn't really get in the way of anything I was asking, and I appreciate the insight. My question was more along the lines of-- forget about how you view or appreciate other people's lists, that has nothing to do with what I was saying-- When you make your own list..... if we assume that the performer you're thinking of IS a larger than life personality, HAS charisma, IS an excellent performer, and connects with you individually on that natural performer level...... should he still make the list if, hypothetically, those skills aren't used in a "festive" way that deliberately tries to and/or successfully works the crowd into a frenzy? Does that motivation/concern need to be there, like it so clearly is for Jagger/Mercury?

That's really the main point of confusion for me, regarding the definition. Can guys like Captain Beefheart or Damo Suzuki qualify if they check off all of the former boxes but avoid or fail all of the latter boxes? Or is deliberate crowd-pleasing/riling ability (which is something that I don't value, but don't take that as a dismissive slight, because it isn't) intrinsically a required part (but of course not all) of what makes a front-man effective for you? If the latter is true, then "great front-man" would be more of an objective/observational evaluation than the purely subjective one that I kind of wanted it to be. Which is fine, but I still want to know.

That is basically the thrust of everything I was saying. I still don't really know what the answer is for most of you guys. (I think you're leaning towards "yes, it is required"?)

IMO, no. Let's take Elvis or Michael Jackson. They don't need to rile up a crowd. They are riled up before the person even takes the stage. Freddie Mercury might take some moments during a concert to get the crowed involved or riled up as you put it. Doesn't have much to do with why people think they are great frontmen. The riling up is more a byproduct of everything else that makes them a great frontman.

Unfortunately I never saw Queen live except on TV. I was never riled up as a crowd member and don't even think about that when agreeing that he was a great frontman. It's all based on the music, lyrics, interviews and TV appearances (Spoken and Concerts) that lead me to believe he was a great frontman, along with all the people I know who did see him and commented on how great he was in concert. And it wasn't because he hit every note and remembered all the lyrics.

I'm still having a hard time understanding what you mean by working a crowd into a frenzy and why it matters. What does Jagger do that you don't like that is designed to work the crowd into a frenzy or get them riled up? And how much time during a concert do you think he spends doing it?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
IMO, no. Let's take Elvis or Michael Jackson. They don't need to rile up a crowd. They are riled up before the person even takes the stage. Freddie Mercury might take some moments during a concert to get the crowed involved or riled up as you put it. Doesn't have much to do with why people think they are great frontmen. The riling up is more a byproduct of everything else that makes them a great frontman.

Unfortunately I never saw Queen live except on TV. I was never riled up as a crowd member and don't even think about that when agreeing that he was a great frontman. It's all based on the music, lyrics, interviews and TV appearances (Spoken and Concerts) that lead me to believe he was a great frontman, along with all the people I know who did see him and commented on how great he was in concert. And it wasn't because he hit every note and remembered all the lyrics.

I'm still having a hard time understanding what you mean by working a crowd into a frenzy and why it matters. What does Jagger do that you don't like that is designed to work the crowd into a frenzy or get them riled up? And how much time during a concert do you think he spends doing it?

Okay, forget the term "riled" up or "deliberate", then. Let's make that simpler-- is it a requirement that the person's performance inspires the collective to be seduced by the performance, and not just you individually? Does everyone in the audience need to appear to agree that he's a great front-man, in order for him to pass the final test of whether or not you think he is? Is there an external influence/"feeling in the crowd" component to the assessment? You don't make the rules, but is that an agreed upon component of it?

Mainly I just want to know the answer to that. It's not that I resent that quality, It's just not a distinction that holds additional particular value to me compared to someone who only satisfies the other criteria.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think you're right on the money Led Zappa. I've been to see Rush 7 times and not once was there a lull in the crowd despite the fact that Geddy Lee barely says 10 words to the crowd all show. Similarly, every time i go to see Sammy Hagar the party never ends, even though I like Rush's music a lot more. Sammy just knows how to make everyone at the show have a great time. It simply depends which act you're seeing.

The original comment by shareef was 'who gives a ****' which he has now transformed into 'I don't care about that stuff' when it became clear that lots of people do care about that stuff. Going to a rock and roll concert is supposed to be about enjoying your favorite music and having fun. And people accomplish those goals in different ways
Okay, if that's the thorn that you're taking exception to, then I apologize for the "who gives a ****" comment. I only really meant it as an expression of "I don't empathize with or 'get' people who care about that." I think that's a reasonable way to use "who gives a ****", and don't think it needs to be taken as "Nobody should/has reason to give a ****" which seems to be what both of you are taking from it and feeling insulted by, but I apologize if that's what was communicated.

I think you'll find that every comment that preceded/followed that had nothing to do with criticizing anyone else's impression, just working out my own.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Axl Rose. You never know what you are goign to get... a high octane fueled up performance or a mean spirited dick that doesn't want to take the stage.....heck the man has been charged (but never convicted) with inciting a riot after smashing a mic and ending a concert early LOL.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
The fact Springsteen isn't on top ten of the list means the list is a joke.

even dancing with his mom and his sister the he holds the crowd in the palm of his hand:

for fun. who else takes requests at their own shows? :

Last edited:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Springsteen definitely belongs in the top 10.

A name not mentioned (unless I missed it), and perhaps not top 10/20 worthy, but a man who certainly holds your attention when on stage, is Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I never considered Paul Stanley a full-fledged frontman with how much presence Gene Simmons has.

As for omissions, I'll definitely mention Alice Cooper and Rob Halford.

for me Bon Scott should be there. Anyone who watches his old live performances see what could how great he was live. Paul Stanley is joint front man with Simmons and Simmons has more allure then PS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad