oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
David Lee Roth should definitely be up there. The guy was quite a performer when on the stage. I guess a knock on him as front man would be all the internal strife, but they got Axl up there and he embodies internal strife. lol

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I never considered Paul Stanley a full-fledged frontman with how much presence Gene Simmons has.

As for omissions, I'll definitely mention Alice Cooper and Rob Halford.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
David Lee Roth should definitely be up there. The guy was quite a performer when on the stage. I guess a knock on him as front man would be all the internal strife, but they got Axl up there and he embodies internal strife. lol

He'll be downgraded due to the fact Sammy stepped in and they really didn't miss a beat.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Freddie is great, but overrated.

Lol @ Roger Watters also.

So many omitions.

LOL, he most certainly is not.

The guy had an amazing gift with his vocal range (nearly 5 octaves), but it was the effortless manner in which he'd move about them.

I'm not a "huge Queen fan" (I mean, I like some of their hits, but that's about it), but Mercury should absolutely be on top of any list like this.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If you include presence, Lemmy deserves a mention. Fans blowing from the front, green lights from the back and signature microphone height. I'll never forget that.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Freddie Mercury hands down. I mean, the guy got Wembley Stadium to do a call-response yodel with him in 1986.

He had it all. Range, was an entertainer, composer, stage presence, and longevity. He also played in a band that did many different styles from hard rock to opera to ragtime to funk to synth etc.

Queen had enough longevity as well. They were around for about two decades (1971-1991) and were just as relevant in 1975 as 1985.

As for the list, too many Americans and what are the parameters for rock music? Can Ronnie James Dio be on this list? And what about Van Morrison and David Byrne?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Lol Bono isn't qualified to tie the shoelaces of almost everybody on that list. Get him off there

Dump his ass and put Diamond Dave on there. He may have not have the best voice range if he was on that list, but he sure as hell knew how to put on a show, be it live or in Van Halen's music videos. That's just as important as vocals when being a frontman.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Lol Bono isn't qualified to tie the shoelaces of almost everybody on that list. Get him off there

Dump his ass and put Diamond Dave on there. He may have not have the best voice range if he was on that list, but he sure as hell knew how to put on a show, be it live or in Van Halen's music videos. That's just as important as vocals when being a frontman.

Problem with DLR is that his quality run was only from like 1978-84 with Van Halen, and 1985-88 with the DLR band. He's had moments after but pretty much a lot of his post Skyscraper output has hurt his legacy.

That's much different from someone like Jim Morrison who was only around like 5-7 years but the quality was always consistent.

left hand path

Oct 29, 2016
i think these kinds of lists are made exclusively by people who buy those faux-retro band shirts from target

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad