GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - The Land of the Giants: SO Win in Detroit 7-6

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Listen to what Cozens says about Levi:

"His competitiveness, his poise, his confidence, it's exactly what you want to see in a goalie."

I think Levi's confidence alone is giving the rest of that locker room more confidence. Something that has been missing.

Reactions: Dingo44

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
If it was Comrie or UPL you would see some peoples heads exploding about it, but they are still enamored about the shiny new toy to get too upset.

Getting the W makes a big difference on how people react to goaltending. If we lost I'm sure we would've seen a lot of the "Levi has to step up and make a big save" type posts.

Levi is now the 4th Sabres goalie this season to give up 6+ goals in a start. Maybe....MAYBE.... team defense is the bigger problem than goaltending ? Levi has also had some ridiculously bad puck luck in his 3 starts.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If it was Comrie or UPL you would see some peoples heads exploding about it, but they are still enamored about the shiny new toy to get too upset.
Watching over the highlights
1. Czarnik goal good shot maybe deflected not sure that would make it unsavable.
2. Larkin goal deflect in
3. Chaisson goal no chance and weak defense Dahlin didn't tie up his man
4. Edvinsson deflecting off of Power had no chance
5. Berggren was a give away no chance on that one with the pass
6. Perron was a straight shot into the net on a one timer

At best 2 of the 6 goals were savable goals that I wouldn't blame Levi. Most of the goals were deflections or defensive break downs leaving the Detroit player wide open. You could stretch it and blame Levi on the 5 goal for overplaying the puck but thats a stretch. I think its a typical high scoring sabres game with defensive breakdowns leaving the goalie out to dry.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Levi is now the 4th Sabres goalie this season to give up 6+ goals in a start. Maybe....MAYBE.... team defense is the bigger problem than goaltending ? Levi has also had some ridiculously bad puck luck in his 3 starts.
This!

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I do wonder why we think deflected pucks always need to pass by our goalie....the first one was deflected at the shot point. That was very stoppable and the goalie is supposed to be covering the spot that it went in when that shot occurred it's called positioning.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Listen to what Cozens says about Levi:

"His competitiveness, his poise, his confidence, it's exactly what you want to see in a goalie."

I think Levi's confidence alone is giving the rest of that locker room more confidence. Something that has been missing.

Dylan, don't be scared :laugh:

Sound_n_Fury

Apr 3, 2005
Thought this quote from Derek Lalonde in today's Detroit News was interesting:

"The opponent we're playing, look at what they're building," Lalonde said. "Talk about a perfect example of a rebuild. That will be a loaded contender for a decade, and that's a team we're going to be dealing with within the division.

They take all eight points (from the Wings) and we take two. They're up three points on us just within the division. That's the difference. They're still playing for something and we officially got eliminated."

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Levi got an awakening. He made some big saves, but the Sabres defense did him no favors.

Average:
- Levi had a pretty average game in my mind. Assuming the last goal was tipped by Cozens (I think it was), he still hasn’t gotten beaten on a clean/non-tipped shot. Sabres defense was yikes. UPL and Comrie would also be given a pass for this game I think.

B: Meh. Didn’t like the 2nd goal against, Levi seemed so eager to get across that he totally missed the slow moving deflection. Happens, otherwise I can’t fault him for any.

B
Sabre puck luck
Owen Power own goal deflections
U
Levi did not play well at all. If this was Comrie or UPL he'd have been justifiably crucified
But also our team defense sucks so bad
Lyubushkin/Jost dumb play.

G: Puck luck gifted Detroit 3 goals and we still beat them.

B: Power and deflecting goals into his own net

U: Early on Boosh tipped one five hole on Levi and then had that horrendous giveaway for GA5

I do wonder why we think deflected pucks always need to pass by our goalie....the first one was deflected at the shot point. That was very stoppable and the goalie is supposed to be covering the spot that it went in when that shot occurred it's called positioning.

I'd personally say there were 3 flukey goals against us.

Couldn't watch the game, So I came here to see how people felt about Levi after he let in 6, and I'm relieved. Thanks.

1. Czarnik goal good shot maybe deflected not sure that would make it unsavable.

At best 2 of the 6 goals were savable goals that I wouldn't blame Levi. Most of the goals were deflections or defensive break downs leaving the Detroit player wide open. You could stretch it and blame Levi on the 5 goal for overplaying the puck but thats a stretch. I think its a typical high scoring sabres game with defensive breakdowns leaving the goalie out to dry.
My tally of the GAs:
1. High blocker. Most difficult save. Others think it was deflected at the point of the shot. Regardless, a good snipe. Not sure that's even a 50/50 save chance.
2. Deflection.
3. Another Back-door play against BUF. poorly played by Dahlin not tying up his man.
4. Shot going wide of net off Power's knee.
5. Brain fart giveaway no chance.
6. Good snipe. a few more like that Levi hopefully saves a couple, but probably no better than a 50/50.

Agree 2 savable goals at best, more like coin flips.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but after watching replays I think 1 & 6 may have been tipped too. For sure Czarnik on the interview said he was just trying to get it on net quick, he wasn't aiming for the corner, just trying to get it off the ice and that stick was right there.

The 6th goal in particular, it looked like Levi was expecting that one in the crest from Perron's stick attitude and Cozen's diving attempt got it sending it left and upstairs past his ear. It just looked weird to me, although that could also be explained by rookieness, but to see that one shot hit that amount of open net was an outlier. Tough to tell often with the shots the get tipped so near the shooter, there usually isn't video evidence of the change of directions, but goalies see so many similar shots that when one gets nicked high like that it often looks like a bad goal - although the goalie was square to where the shot would have gone without his team helping, and usually there's a glare back at the teammate responsible lol.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

I'm not sayin Levi was bad, just commenting on how the reactions are different based on which goalie is in the net, plenty of people will shit on Comrie or UPL for not making a save that pretty much any goalie not named Brodeur, Roy or Hasek would also not save.

Reactions: Chainshot

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
They should give Levi the Houser treatment. Houser had an unfortunate one, his 3rd game, but came back strong the 4th game. So Levi's next game will he a banger.

Next season give Levi game one, another banger. Next game he will stink. Then banish him to Roc/Cin tweener.

Levi will be just another Houser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad