Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Road Point: OT Loss 3-2 in Carolina 11/7/23

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
IKR? This is the sort of professional game that they were rolling out at the end of last season. Do this. Repeat it and they will stack wins and points.
EXACTLY what I thought. I was PEEVED after the Philly games. Even after they won in Philly I felt disheartened. This game? Nah. They hung with him. I think it helps that Carolina isn't quite as physical as Philly.

Regardless, great road game even if it did only result in 1 pt.

People are the worst
I find anonymous people are the worst. For some reason, people are way more respectful face to face. I wonder why?!

Reactions: BuffaloMango

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
G- Hockey Game
B- Lost
U- Okposo

Prospects seem to be doing well when they come up, too many low-end players creeping into their 3rd line. Hopefully Cozens is back and plays good hockey again. He probably needed to reset. Savoie should be able to kick it on the third line next to Cozens. Waive VO, send Krebs down, he needs to relearn how to play offense. Line 3 needs to be Benson Cozens Savoie when all are healthy and don't look back (until Quinn shakes up lines)

Press box Okposo after 1000.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Good
Good comperive game vs very good team
Upl great game
Individual efforts by dahlin, peterska and tuch on the goals
Team defence

Good
Good comperive game vs very good team
Upl great game
Individual efforts by dahlin, peterska and tuch on the goals
Team defence
Bad
Defensive zone exis at times
Play when Carolina pressed. They didn’t have an answer for that
Ugly
Zone entry on power plays
Power play was a shambles

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I was entertained. Tough opponent on the road, no shame and got a point. But until they turn the PP around and take advantage of the man advantage, the obstruction and tight defense in the neutral zone will continue. Teams aren’t wary of putting them on the PP they they were last year. Maybe some new blood who knows, but they need that threat.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I'm wondering if the book on the Sabres PP is out, at least as far as entries into the zone go. Stand them up at the blueline and they can't do shit. For the most part that seems to be the case. They're either gonna need to dump and chase or do something like Dahlin did with his goal.
what is this foreign language that you speak?

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
A few posters said in the offseason if he gets his chance he's not going back down. I'm not sure they thought it'd happen this early. The question is- who do you bench for the kid? It'd have to be Clifton, right?!
Clifton provides a physical presence I don't mind tbh (and one Sabre who can fight without getting his brains beat in), with Joker likely out for a while now Johnson's likely up for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dubi Doo

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Just need to simplify the PP entries. Just skate it in. If there is no lane then dump it and chase. Stop with the drop passes. Every team knows there is going to be a drop pass and it just gives them time to stand us up at the blue line. We are a fast team, hit the blue line with speed and there will be openings, and again if there aren't, dump and chase. You can probably catch half these teams flat footed in a race for the puck because they are just standing at their own blue line waiting for our inevitable drop pass.

• Love
Reactions: beerme1

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I'm wondering if the book on the Sabres PP is out, at least as far as entries into the zone go. Stand them up at the blueline and they can't do shit. For the most part that seems to be the case. They're either gonna need to dump and chase or do something like Dahlin did with his goal.
The book has been out since last year. Other teams know that we want to enter the zone and curl back to the point or drop pass it to Dahlin at the point, so that we can cycle the perimeter and set Tage up for a slapper from Ovechkin's office.

They know that we're not trying to get the puck deep, or drive to the net. So they can sell out to stop our entry and perimeter cycle, by leaving the center of the ice undefended and the area around the net undefended.

It's not a coincidence that the last 2 goals scored were when Power and Dahlin said F the system and just drove into the zone and ripped a shot. Power also did this to get a great look for Okposo/Krebs tonight. Okposo was alone next to the net.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The book has been out since last year. Other teams know that we want to enter the zone and curl back to the point or drop pass it to Dahlin at the point, so that we can cycle the perimeter and set Tage up for a slapper from Ovechkin's office.

They know that we're not trying to get the puck deep, or drive to the net. So they can sell out to stop our entry and perimeter cycle, by leaving the center of the ice undefended and the area around the net undefended.

It's not a coincidence that the last 2 goals scored were when Power and Dahlin said F the system and just drove into the zone and ripped a shot. Power also did this to get a great look for Okposo/Krebs tonight. Okposo was alone next to the net.

I think Greenway could be great on the power play - really play that boards game and be a beast retrieving on a dump and chase - not to mention a big net-front presence.

I wonder how much time Greenway ever got on the PP with the Wild.

Reactions: BFLO

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Just need to simplify the PP entries. Just skate it in. If there is no lane then dump it and chase. Stop with the drop passes. Every team knows there is going to be a drop pass and it just gives them time to stand us up at the blue line. We are a fast team, hit the blue line with speed and there will be openings, and again if there aren't, dump and chase. You can probably catch half these teams flat footed in a race for the puck because they are just standing at their own blue line waiting for our inevitable drop pass.
For now they are too committed to skating it in, so at least two FWs are standing flat footed themselves at the blueline. A chip in has no chance unless they see what the PK is doing and just commit to dump-ins before even going over the boards. They have to readjust their brains just like what they're sort of doing at 5v5. But even after possession in the zone, they are WAY too static. They have to skate more, especially off puck, and force an opening or mistake, but that's coaching that I don't have much confidence in right now.

• Love
Reactions: beerme1

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I think Greenway could be great on the power play - really play that boards game and be a beast retrieving on a dump and chase - not to mention a big net-front presence.

Greenway is probably worth a look on the PP.

But I think what we really need to do is stop being slaves to our "system". Stop doing the same entry and trying to set up the same perimeter cycle when PKs are cheating all 4 guys to the perimeter to shut it down.

There's been so many times this season where the PK will be aggressive along the boards with us, which leaves like 2-3 Sabres at the net vs 1 or even 0 defenders, and we basically never try to take advantage of it.

We need to attack the center of the ice and the net front, as it's mostly wide open. Once PKs learn that we're going to attack the middle, they'll stop cheating to shut down our perimeter cycle and the perimeters will open back up for us. And then Tage can slap some dingers again.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Almost none.

From the start of the 2018-19 season through the trade to Buffalo, he averaged 33 seconds of PP ice time per game. That was 32nd among all forwards for the Wild from 2018-19 through this season.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

But I think what we really need to do is stop being slaves to our "system". Stop doing the same entry and trying to set up the same perimeter cycle when PKs are cheating all 4 guys to the perimeter to shut it down.

There's been so many times this season where the PK will be aggressive along the boards with us, which leaves like 2-3 Sabres at the net vs 1 or even 0 defenders, and we basically never try to take advantage of it.

We need to attack the center of the ice and the net front, as it's mostly wide open. Once PKs learn that we're going to attack the middle, they'll stop cheating to shut down our perimeter cycle and the perimeters will open back up for us. And then Tage can slap some dingers again.
I agree with a lot of this. What is also apparently obvious is that teams are not sitting in the box allowing the halfwalls to set up for shots. They are attacking the puck forcing the carrier to pass. But nobody moves off of the assigned spots. Nobody screens in front. They all maneuver for a shot that never comes because the lanes are blocked by the pressure the pk is throwing at them. A simple solution is to put a Greenway or hell Krebs in the bumper with the idea that they are to stay as close to the goal as possible for tips, screens and rebounds. It forces one defender to be less aggressive bc they have to stay home but will only work if the PP personnel move to create lanes. Too much possession is wasted above the halfwall in non optimum scoring positions. Yeah you have the puck but it isn’t dangerous where you are. Jmho.

lecherous

Apr 11, 2002
Rochester, NY
www.voteforrory.com
UPL was great, and we really showed up against a solid well-coached opponent. Committing 4 minors isn't really egregious but we just can't do that against teams like this because it just makes the battle so much more uphill.

Ugly : My sleep schedule is so jacked up I think I only ended up watching maybe 40 minutes of last night's game

Reactions: Dingo44

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Teams are covering the boards pretty easily and we're still trying to use them as the PP interstate. Then opponents even double team the half wall to force a turnover. All things that shouldn't be done by a PK.

The Sabres can't waltz into the zone and set up their umbrella. They have to chip in with several players with speed and reverse ice hard or just pass down the gut right off the bat if the boards are covered. We're too predictable right now and teams are eating it up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Not for nothing but the lack of urgency to go to the net on the PP is also the same thing at ES. Enter the zone, curl to less dangerous areas and look to pass. It's not often that someone just tries going to the net without the puck and stays there when they get there. There are too many fly-bys so that if there are rebounds, not enough can be converted into second or third chances.

Love your assessment on the PP overall.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A few posters said in the offseason if he gets his chance he's not going back down. I'm not sure they thought it'd happen this early. The question is- who do you bench for the kid? It'd have to be Clifton, right?!

Seems like they won't have to make that decision right now with the injury bug on the blueline.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Joker? Between the two i imagine it would be one of them. Utilize the extra D on back to backs?

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I forgot to add that this was probably out 4th best game of the season, in terms of how well we played. And it's the 2nd game in a row we've played well. First time this season we've had 2 good performances in a row. Hopefully this becomes a trend.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Where did the "Doc" thing come from as regards Ryan Johnson?
I read all the replies.
I am definitely showing my age as these were common apparel when I was Ryan Johnson's age.

1699460918902.jpeg

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I forgot to add that this was probably out 4th best game of the season, in terms of how well we played. And it's the 2nd game in a row we've played well. First time this season we've had 2 good performances in a row. Hopefully this becomes a trend.
Normally i don't root for the loser point, but i am happy to have a point streak going. 5 out of 8 possible points so far in november isn't too shabby.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad