GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Misty Mountain Hop, Home Win, 4-0 10/29/23

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20231029_202623_Instagram.jpg

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
UPL did make some great saves, but only 23 shots on goal allowed with 12 minutes of 5-on-4 is incredible. Only 16 even strength shots allowed!
Only saw the highlights, but the first 5-6 minutes of the first period were enough rock-solid 5v5 saves for a full game.
That "pass" (???) by Power at the end wall just outside the trapezoid to the center of his own crease with ~5-6 min elapsed in the 1st period and an Av right on top of the Sabre (I assume Joker / Power's partner) should cost Power a few Benjamins in friendly fines to whatever poetry-book-of-the-month club UPL belongs.

Beauty pass by Tuch on the Jost goal. Brilliant play of vision and hand-to-eye coordination.

If the Sabres have turned the corner on team defense, watch out.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm ugly . I've complained about upl quickness and it's encouraging that it may be just processing and confidence/ relaxing etc

And I've seen potential in Bryson, like casey if he added a tough physical element and determination it may help. Cleary Donny thinks all of us who wonder about both are idiots , not seeing what he sees daily .

Awesome, didnt see it so.. still great
UPL's inconsistent. That's obvious. But listening to some fans constantly call him "crap" and "trash" and insisting he should be waived is a little much. He's fine as a 2nd or 3rd option at this point in his young career. Folks need to be patient.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
UPL's inconsistent. That's obvious. But listening to some fans constantly call him "crap" and "trash" and insisting he should be waived is a little much. He's fine as a 2nd or 3rd option at this point in his young career. Folks need to be patient.
From what I saw in the highlights, his lateral movements were far more controlled and abrupt and less "overshoot" on side-to-side pushes. It's certainly better than a couple years ago, when he'd often end up East of Greenland or West of Hawaii on his transcontinental crease-pushes.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Good win.

- Best game so far this year by Tuch.
- Peterka looking good when they put him with some decent linemates.
- Thompson still needs to get going.
- Bryson stepped in nicely.
- Joker is quietly having a very good season. One of the Sabres most consistent D.
- Power just keeps getting better.
- PK is very good and I am wondering if it isn't because of E. Johnson. He not only rounds out that group, but he may also be guiding that group in a way the coaches have not been able to.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
As I was driving to work I had this thought. When the crowd says Luuuuuu it sounds like they are booing. Maybe they should change up the chant to be more on the 6K nickname. They could just chant K, K, K over and over again.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Actually, to be honest, i called him slow to react and not good reading. No vision and slow anticipation glove high. I think I'm hopefully an impatient prick and each of these he seemed much improved in his highlights. He may be better than fine as he doesn't have to work that hard if dialed in and quick, w his larger frame than say, Levi
Devon Levi has high psi anticipation and trusts his reads w great positioning each moment a new advantage taken. He's young over eager or maybe another bad take w the team limiting second chances. Hopefully his brain leaks to others and his brain absorbs the calm prescience of KAs best acquisition, Erik Johnson.

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
UPL did make some great saves, but only 23 shots on goal allowed with 12 minutes of 5-on-4 is incredible. Only 16 even strength shots allowed!
I re-watched his first period and he did things very well under quite heavy pressure, rebound control, puck tracking, side to side movement.

As I was driving to work I had this thought. When the crowd says Luuuuuu it sounds like they are booing. Maybe they should change up the chant to be more on the 6K nickname. They could just chant K, K, K over and over again.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I didn't see much that was negative. Mitts was dominant again, there was a pass in the second or third where he sauced it between three Avs players cross ice and it just fell right onto our guys blade.

Upl had a great game, it looks like he is cleaning up a little bit of his game every couple games. Last year seeing point shots and allowing rebounds on point shot was a bugaboo and he seems to have limited that, glove high looks a little better too. He does need to clean up the chaos in the crease, staying upright (goes down to easy) and finding the puck in chaos around the net. If that gets cleaned up by seasons end, you have a top 20 starter.

Bryson was good, I saw one or two times he was panicking with the puck in his zone and didn't make the easy play. Just run it up and out.

Really like Krebs and I don't know why. He does everything well but nothing spectacular. He really seems to throw players off when he is out there. If he would be a 15/15 winger, that would be a solid career

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Happy the team won. But for the love of god the giveaways were terrible. STOP THAT!!!

I guess it's just better for the Sabres D to just hand out prime scoring chances instead of screening UPL on tipped shots like they did the other night.

It's not that the BAD giveaways happen. It's that they happen frequently at a rate about twice a period.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad