GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Fracas in Florida, Failed - Florida 2-Sabres 1

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
I don't think anything is wrong with the make-up of the team. It all boils down to age/experience with this team. We have a lot of young guys who are still developing their game and growing into their full frame. Give this group more experience and let them fill out a little more and i bet our defense improves enough to steal a few more games.
This exactly!

After yesterdays and the Islander game, I'll be pissed and angry but I always comeback to thinking, "They're still very young and inexperienced"

Losing tough games and missing the playoffs by this much sucks, but this team is going in the right direction.

But I will say Adams needs to do his job this summer and get Power a veteran top 4 RHD partner, get a legit goalie and need to make some mild charges with the coaching staff

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
This exactly!

After yesterdays and the Islander game, I'll be pissed and angry but I always comeback to thinking, "They're still very young and inexperienced"

Losing tough games and missing the playoffs by this much sucks, but this team is going in the right direction.

But I will say Adams needs to do this job this summer and get Power a veteran top 4 RHD partner, get a legit goalie and need to make some mild charges with the coaching staff
To the bolded - i want whomever runs their defense to be shown the door. I am not sure if Girardi is involved at all, but i liked his work when he was interim. I'd love them to bring him into the fold somehow.

Don't hold your breath on goaltending changes. If i had to guess, Adams is confident in Levi's performance so far and it'll be a Levi/UPL or Comrie tandem next year.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
As disappointing as it was, you have to be happy with how the team played in general. We didn't get outplayed, Levi was very calm in net and we ended the game with possession and scoring chances. Another minute on the clock and we would have tied it up. I would have felt very differently if in the final minute, we couldn't even get out of our own end.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Jesus. If I'm ever pressed to explain why I don't like xGF/xGA as a stat on a game-by-game basis, I'm going to show them this and say "watch the game".

There's zero chance anyone can ever convince me that we should have scored 5-6 goals last night. We weren't that engaged offensively outside of a couple of stretches late in the game.....and even still, the chances we generated weren't THAT good.

The PP goal that Cozens scored is likely stopped by any playoff-quality goalie. If anything Levi is the one that should have a +4 GSAx. If not for him, we get walloped on the scoreboard.

THIS. Those advanced stats truly are contrary to what I saw.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
To the bolded - i want whomever runs their defense to be shown the door. I am not sure if Girardi is involved at all, but i liked his work when he was interim. I'd love them to bring him into the fold somehow.

Don't hold your breath on goaltending changes. If i had to guess, Adams is confident in Levi's performance so far and it'll be a Levi/UPL or Comrie tandem next year.
Marty Wilford is the defense coach and I wouldn't mind if he was shown the door either and I have no idea wtf this Christie guy does either. Girardi is doing a some part time coaching job. I would love for him to be full time behind the bench but apparently he wants the part time gig to spend more time with his family in Welland

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

For family reasons, Girardi turned down an offer to be an assistant and he has remained as a development coach.

He basically does not want to deal with the travel involved with being an NHL coach and would rather stick with his current gig and spend more time with his family.

Who knows if that will change in the future.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I would love whoever does these stats on a game-by-game basis to put out a video saying "These are the shots that according to my model should have been goals."

No way would that video consistently match the number of goals metrics say.
I'd like to see that, too.

I'm guessing those models look at the location of the shot attempts and at the movement of the puck that sets them up. I'd bet they don't even try to quantify the quality of the player's shot.

Sabres had plenty of good chances last night, but they didn't shoot as well as they usually do. Lyon made a few nice saves. Also, a lot of "muffins" and "Mitts couldn't finish", etc.

With their normal shooting, they score three easy. In an eighty-two game season, sometimes it just goes that way. The trick is to be consistent enough over the whole year where you don't have "must-win" games just to make the playoffs. Because hockey is too much like roulette to rely on the outcomes from a single game. That's why playoffs are best-of-seven.

Top-4 D (and normal off-season adjustments) should be able to get them there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Marty Wilford is the defense coach and I wouldn't mind if he was shown the door either and I have no idea wtf this Christie guy does either. Girardi is doing a some part time coaching job. I would love for him to be full time behind the bench but apparently he wants the part time gig to spend more time with his family in Welland

Wilford and Ellis are the two who I always circle back to. I'm not sure hiring someone with less experience in Girardi is the path either. *shrug*

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Wilford and Ellis are the two who I always circle back to. I'm not sure hiring someone with less experience in Girardi is the path either. *shrug*
He does lack experience in coaching but I loved how the d was playing when he was behind the bench. But again he probably doesn't want the job anyway so really no point in discussing him as a possibly candidate. Regardless, adjustments need to be made behind the bench.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
U
Rasmus Dahlin. In a game you need your stars to rise to the occasion, he was terrible.

I have noticed his game just getting worse as the season goes along. He just makes higher risk stupid plays a lot. Dahlin has one more year left at $6 mil. Extending him for big money is a mistake. I would trade him in the offseason if you can get a decent return.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have noticed his game just getting worse as the season goes along. He just makes higher risk stupid plays a lot. Dahlin has one more year left at $6 mil. Extending him for big money is a mistake. I would trade him in the offseason if you can get a decent return.

You've made this comment a couple of times and I'm trying to figure out if you are kidding, trolling or what.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
There is a coach out there that has experience and got the most out of Defensemen in Nashville :sarcasm:

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
You've made this comment a couple of times and I'm trying to figure out if you are kidding, trolling or what.

It's definitely contrarian but what would you do ?

1/ He is having a career year and you could get a massive amount for him in a trade. The downside of his career year is he will want the world in his next contract.

2/ His contract ends next year and he is already making $6 million. Are you really going to pay him $10 million plus in the face of the Thompson contract? And knowing that Power will obviously want the same.

Just saying I would not give him a Daniel Nurse / Seth Jones type contract (and he will probably want more than that). He is talented but I question his decision making/brain.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 Minute Major

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010

1/ He is having a career year and you could get a massive amount for him in a trade. The downside of his career year is he will want the world in his next contract.

2/ His contract ends next year and he is already making $6 million. Are you really going to pay him $10 million plus in the face of the Thompson contract? And knowing that Power will obviously want the same.

Just saying I would not give him a Daniel Nurse / Seth Jones type contract (and he will probably want more than that). He is talented but I question his decision making/brain.
To the bolded - Absolutely I would.

Dahlin plays the hardest position on our team (other than goalie, which is a whole nother subject). He drives offense at a level LEAGUES above our other defensemen.

He is near PPG, while playing injured the last few weeks. QBs the PP incredibly well, carries the puck incredibly well. If you trade Dahlin, you are getting quarter for a dollar.

He is a norris contender for the next decade. You keep that talent and build on it.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Well, being in Norris consideration at the age of 22 seems to indicate there will be more of the same. He's finally reaching his full potential.

Around $10M has come up. I'm hoping with all the other long-term deals they have he will take less than projected cost to sign. As for Thompson's contract, are you indicating that Thompson's contract is a firm cap to future salaries?

There isn't a defenseman in the league who isn't prone to the occasional gaff. Also, given Dahlin's contributions, he's going to get that sort of money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad