Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Benson has himself a Knight; Sabres win 5-2 in Vegas

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
the bad is...as expected Granato made an unforced error playing UPL first on the road trip. Levi is white hot and you could have had him start two games with rest on this trip. Instead…UPL comes off illness and sucks…and now theres a game tomorrow. When your best case scenario for goal tomorrow is Levi back to back with travel…you screwed up. Again.
Ffs, Ace. Enjoy a big win against Eichel's team.

Save your standard bitching and moaning for losses.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
G Sabres had 3 effective lines going
B Sabres has 1 line stuck in the wasteland
U how Granato will manage getting Quinn, Greenway and Girgs back
Well, there's Murray and Jost and Okposo and .... Oh, wait. That's 3 right there.

Please tell me that's sarcasm, ONG.

Total team win. Especially satisfying seeing Tuch and Krebs have big games against VGK.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Did Levi get better coaching in Rochester (Kotyk) than Buffalo (Bales) ?
I would say its quite a reach the little time he spent there.
Maybe its more like he lost the pressure going down there of being the to go guy and found his confidence again.

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
I don't know where you put Skinner at when he returns. No way you drop Benson from the top line or mess with Peterka - Mitts - Cozens.

Rosen > Murray. You could try Skinner-Krebs-Quinn/Olofsson on a 3rd line I guess.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
just watched the goal replays. Tuch made up for the puck on end shot with a snipe. Jesus that was a wicked shot.
Sounds like Levi had himself a night (I turned it off with 5 left in the second). You gotta go with the hot hand and play him tonight if you want to come away with points.
Absolutely. A lessor goalie and we’re down 2-3 to 0 in the first period.

The Jekyll and Hyde tour continues…..

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't know where you put Skinner at when he returns. No way you drop Benson from the top line or mess with Peterka - Mitts - Cozens.

Rosen > Murray. You could try Skinner-Krebs-Quinn/Olofsson on a 3rd line I guess.
Quinn should be back soon.

I think you gotta go Peterka - Cozens - Quinn for a few games.
They were great last year. It would be a shame not to see how it goes.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
GBU:

GOOD:
Levi was very good and allowed us to stay in this game. He's not an NHL starter yet and should likely be in Rochester BUT he may be the best option for us. He's the only guy with that potential in our organization currently (In Rochester or Buffalo)

Cozens did a lot of good things, hopefully it builds some confidence, he's got the right DNA

Benson is arguably a top-3 guy on our team right now. Steal in the draft and the steal to Tuch was such a big play. Has the DNA to be a very successful pro.

Krebs had one of his better games of the year

Mitts continues his upward trend from last season

BAD:
Jokijarhu is not it. I'm in the minority that he hasn't been much improved this year. He's been marginal better but he doesn't add really any value. Slow and soft and doesn't skate well.

Clifton/Power struggled again

Peterka has been off the last few

Eichel scoring against again and Stone's comments post game

UGLY:
We won, there ain't no ugly

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He talked about it being a chance to take a mental reset with the assignment.
Well, it appears to have worked. Crazy to think how young he is, and how he's stone walling a stanley cup defender. I wanted him back in Rochester, but I think you have to ride he hot hand. I dont think Levi likes taking the bus and being paid an AHLers salary.

Moneypuck has the Vegas over the Sabres 90% percent of the time.
No way I believe that. We were getting a lot of good looks, too. Id say it's more like 65-35 in favor of Vegas, which is fine considering they were skating hard and appeared to really want that win. Buffalo kept pace, but obviously couldn't dominate them.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
the bad is...as expected Granato made an unforced error playing UPL first on the road trip. Levi is white hot and you could have had him start two games with rest on this trip. Instead…UPL comes off illness and sucks…and now theres a game tomorrow. When your best case scenario for goal tomorrow is Levi back to back with travel…you screwed up. Again.
Ahhh I’m not gonna fault Granato on this. I think getting UPL in net after his sickness and getting him back into it was important and he earned it on his play prior.

Yeah it sucks the schedule fell like this with Levi being so hot, but we’ve seen Levi show fatigue when he gets overworked this year already so it’s not all lost.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I just watched the highlights on NHL.com and there were no highlights from the first 28 minutes of the game and not a single save shown.

Glad to see Levi tearing it up. Maybe he got one look at an AHL bus trip and said never again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad