Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Benson has himself a Knight; Sabres win 5-2 in Vegas

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

Benson is the straw that stirs the drink.
Levi's French Canadian glove. Statement.
Cozens had himself a strong game.
Krebs had some all sorts of jump as we would expect. Braking up the late 3-on-2 was a highlight of the night.
Mitts knee drop after a dogged shift was a nice reward. The ENG was well-earned.

The Bad:

Murray's penalty and corresponding ice time. Clearly the coach has made up his mind.
Clifton's bad luck in his own zone continues.

The Ugly:

Tuch's puck on edge miss could have been deciding.
NHL.com??

1702705020257.png

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
G
Levi: Best player on the ice. Still think goaltending has not been an issue? This is a game we'd have lost 6-3 with the other goalies
Benson
Mitts
Cozens
Tuch except for one moment

Bad
Power
Murray
Krebs for not taking the major to send Eichel a strong message

Ugly
Tuch missing the open tap in
Granato for not putting Benson on the first line earlier.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
G
Levi: Best player on the ice. Still think goaltending has not been an issue? This is a game we'd have lost 6-3 with the other goalies
Benson
Mitts
Cozens
Tuch except for one moment

Bad
Power
Murray
Krebs for not taking the major to send Eichel a strong message

Ugly
Tuch missing the open tap in
Granato for not putting Benson on the first line earlier.
Puck flipped up on Tuch. I have a hard time blaming him there.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
G: I'm glad I ended up watching this game. Both entertaining AND a Sabres win (against Vegas even!)

C (for confusing): This team. They need to keep playing this way. I guess C should also stand for "be Consistent" as well.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
The Good:

Benson is the straw that stirs the drink.
Levi's French Canadian glove. Statement.
Cozens had himself a strong game.
Krebs had some all sorts of jump as we would expect. Braking up the late 3-on-2 was a highlight of the night.
Mitts knee drop after a dogged shift was a nice reward. The ENG was well-earned.

The Bad:

Murray's penalty and corresponding ice time. Clearly the coach has made up his mind.
Clifton's bad luck in his own zone continues.

The Ugly:

Tuch's puck on edge miss could have been deciding.
NHL.com??

View attachment 784261
Same guy running the camera at the Vegas arena updates the scoreboard at NHL.com

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
G: I'm glad I ended up watching this game. Both entertaining AND a Sabres win (against Vegas even!)

C (for confusing): This team. They need to keep playing this way. I guess C should also stand for "be Consistent" as well.
Honestly, they've been playing like this for a decent stretch of games now. It's just so frustrating they halfassed it for the first 15-20 games. That may be the difference in playoffs or not.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
the bad is...as expected Granato made an unforced error playing UPL first on the road trip. Levi is white hot and you could have had him start two games with rest on this trip. Instead…UPL comes off illness and sucks…and now theres a game tomorrow. When your best case scenario for goal tomorrow is Levi back to back with travel…you screwed up. Again.

Reactions: Moncton man

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
2 5v5 goals from each of the top 2 lines? Pinch me.

One thing they didn’t screw up was keeping Benson. He is just a different level of smart.
Im glad I have you guys because trying to explain to my wife that I haven't seen an 18 year straight out of the draft* consistently make the right plays was a chore. It's mind boggling to me. He can play anywhere in the lineup because he forechecks like a rabid dog and rarely ever makes the wrong play.

I mean, just think of the learning curve Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Mitts, Tage etc...have gone through trying to figure out the two way game, and it puts Benson's season into perspective.

*Speaking of Sabres players of course.

Reactions: Macbanan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
and Benson too, he's only 18!

that town and arena put on a good show, as they should. Sabres could learn some things rather than worrying about signature hot dogs

Presentation-wise, Buffalo can't even get the inside of their arena clean let alone have the sort of presentation in Vegas. Hell, they can't even use the projection system Golisano put in.

It's the awarding of a home town guy with one of the post-game stars when he simply didn't deserve it. Like the Bruins giving one to Marchand in the game there a few weeks back.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad