Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Bedeviled 11/25/22 3-1 loss to Jersey

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Can anyone explain to me how the devils got so good in 1 yr? They were below us in the standings last year. I thought we played well but they played incredible last night. Such a fun team to watch.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Can anyone explain to me how the devils got so good in 1 yr? They were below us in the standings last year. I thought we played well but they played incredible last night. Such a fun team to watch.

You know how we played a million goalies last year? The Devils had it just as bad and possibly worse.

They were a chic pick last year to challenge for a playoff spot but their goaltending prevented it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was kind of hoping/expecting that, i think the Devils are on the downtrend.
Don't laugh at me right now but i think the Devils and the Bruins will have to fight for a playoff spot, very close.

I don't think either team will have any issue making the playoffs. They are among the best teams in the East.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

You may have missed that they were doing well with puck possession last year and were failed by goaltending.

You know how we played a million goalies last year? The Devils had it just as bad and possibly worse.

They were a chic pick last year to challenge for a playoff spot but their goaltending prevented it.

They had really good underlying numbers and terrible tending. That they got a bit better in terms of scoring and team defense isn't a surprise. They have been getting decent goaltending now and that has made all the difference.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
NJD was the first team that plays our game(relentless and aggressive) but better. Still the whistle going early on our goals then not blowing it when nj goalie had it covered was dumb. I think we deserved a point because we scored the same number of goals but whatevs

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Devils looked like a top cup contender and the Sabres looked like they wouldn't get swept in a 7 game series. I'll take it

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
Buffalo didn't match NJ's intensity; I knew after 4 minutes NJ would likely win this game. I know the Sabre's are one of the leagues youngest teams, but I thought we would see more consistency by now. I thought the Sabre's got better as the game wore on, but their performance was not on par with the last 2 games.
Bad passing and turnovers all over the ice continue to put Buffalo at a disadvantage, they must be working on that in practice, right?
And, lastly, doesn't Krebs belong in Rochester, where he can continue to develop?

Reactions: Ralonzo and JLewyB

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Devils fan coming in peace once again ( I posted in your GDT).
I think Dahlin is correct . The 1st period the Devils took it to you guys but you guys got better and better as the game went on.
Usually we don’t alter the game plan in the 3rd even if up by one goal . Then the final maybe 5 minutes they back off on the forecheck / pinching / D standing up in the neutral zone . That was the first time I have seen the Devils get put on their heels while leading in the 3rd .
It’s only a matter of when fir the Sabres . They gave elite pieces still coming and they are already a dynamic team. I can see the Sabres sitting on top of the East soon and will be there for awhile

This game I think, was a measuring stick for the Sabres the same way your game earlier in the season against the Avs was for the Devils. In the latter case it was a win and the team has gone up and away from there. In the former case the loss shows that while they're capable of achieving that level they aren't there yet. More pointedly the Sabres are a couple defensemen and a goalie away. They'll have the horses at forward developed within a year or two it seem.

the refs have been an issue since the 1990s. Remember the 1998 ECF in the Kerry Frasier game?
Was that the Peter Bondra "I'm just gonna run Hasek and crash everything into the net including the puck" which was counted a good goal and basically changed the series?

Reactions: Chainshot

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Was that the Peter Bondra "I'm just gonna run Hasek and crash everything into the net including the puck" which was counted a good goal and basically changed the series?

Nah, that didn't happen. Bondra ran Hasek from behind and Frasier gave Dom a 2 min penalty for making contact with Frasier

He also ignored an in the crease (yes, in 1998, they didn't exactly call in the crease unless there was interference or another review) on a play that should have been reviewed for a high stick. That was also the game where the linesman missed an icing on the OT goal so obvious Hellen Keller would have called it

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You may have missed that they were doing well with puck possession last year and were failed by goaltending.

They had really good underlying numbers and terrible tending. That they got a bit better in terms of scoring and team defense isn't a surprise. They have been getting decent goaltending now and that has made all the difference.
The Devils were also helped by not doing something really stupid like botching things so bad they were forced to trade Jack Hughes for Pat Verbeek, Andrew Casells and Andrei Nikolishin (your Whalers reference of the week).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That's what the Adams is trying to do with the Sabres.
Exactly. We'll see if he can trim the fat going forward. Im not going to call for his head over his roster moves this offseason. I agreed with some of them, and wasnt shaking my head at any of them.

I understand his mindset of 'let's see what we have going forward, then add to the foundation'.

The truth is- it's too early to say whether or not Adams is a good GM. He's done a pretty good job up until this point, but the next year will be telling.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Devils destroyed the Capitals 5-1

We honestly did pretty decent against one of the best teams in the NHL right now.

We played a better game against you guys than we did against them. Last night was one of our weakest skater performances of the year. Jack just did Jack things and Vanecek was great but the Caps were the ones who controlled the game

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
They’ve been adding significant veterans through UFA and trades for the past 2 years and have spent most of their cap.

We’re sitting on $25 million in cap space with no significant adds to the roster in 2 seasons other than swapping out Eichel for Tuch.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

The Devils are similar to the Hurricanes team about four years ago in that regard. They both had good possession numbers that didn't translate in the standings because of bad goaltending (Scott Darling, Mackenzie Blackwood).

Carolina finally got decent goaltending plus their young core took the next step and they suddenly went from 83 points to 99 points and have been a perennial playoff team ever since. The Devils look like a team that might follow the same path.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sabres make the sweetest plays and not score
Welcome, new poster!!!!
Don't forget the Sabres played 3 games in 4 days
They looked it. I stayed out of the GDT, so forgive me if these comments were in there, but NJ had BUF from the opening jump. Shots, shots, shots. Wonder if NJ traveled to BUF on Thanksgiving day, or, given the 8pm start, took a morning flight Friday. BUF had a really good 2nd half of the 2nd period, and pushed hard in the 3rd. NJD also shut down Thompson (and his line) very well (and I'm not one to overly rely on a single line for a team's fortunes, but the point still stands). Play this game in BUF on Saturday (afternoon or evening), and with better officiating, and I think it's an OT game, no idea who wins it though. Frustrated with the outcome, but not the effort.

And kudos to Lindy for 40+ years in pro hockey and nearly 25 years as a head coach and still having the desire / motivation to keep doing that shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad