Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Bedeviled 11/25/22 3-1 loss to Jersey

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
I only caught about half the game but honestly I think we looked decent. NJD’s 3rd goal was definitely a momentum killer and the bad calls were ridiculous but I thought we held our own pretty well. NJD definitely the better team but it wasn’t a pathetic performance like some during the losing streak.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I get how hard it is to ref a game, and I get bad calls. missed calls, etc.

But for some reason nothing quite gets under my skin more than the faceoff shenanigans some refs play. Just drop the puck asshole, no one is there to watch you.
I bet Skinner told them just as much.

I wouldn't say we were clearly outplayed. Tons of chances we didn't finish

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not good enough yet.

Devils turned the corner in one off-season and we stayed where we always were, good job by the GM adding the right parts. Adams needs to learn.

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Tough game. NJ plays such an aggressive forecheck system that the Sabres D rarely had time and space to breakout systemically.

In spite of all that, the Sabres had a treasure of opportunities to score (esp. in the 3rd) but just couldn't get the puck across the line.

Schmid takes up so much of the net, is quick and technically sound. It requires another level talent I believe, to beat him.

Ruff is a damn fine coach. Just give him the right tools......Darcy.....

Opps...

Reactions: SabresFan26

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Unless the goalie covers the puck with Tage coming at him. Then no whistle and the goalie gets the play the puck. Good stuff from the refs.
I just shook my head over that one. Puck is covered, ref can't see it. The whistle must be blown.

Pretty sure that Jost's non-goal puck crossed the line before the whistle was blown too.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Because he was doing the snow angel. Refs fall for that kind of stuff. They should look where the puck is, but honestly i think sometimes it's really difficult to follow the puck in those scrambly situations. Should be more video reviewable
Since they can review based on "intent to whistle" they should just wait a little with the whistle. If it gets dug out from underneath the goalie they can disallow it.

Feels like they compensated Devils a bit...

Reactions: brian_griffin

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Not good enough yet.

Devils turned the corner in one off-season and we stayed where we always were, good job by the GM adding the right parts. Adams needs to learn.
The Devil's are winning due to the young guys playing good not due to the pieces they added. The Sabres will get there. I think many are forgetting this season was about developing and next season is when they take the big step. The way I look at it is the Sabres are the like the Devil's last season.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I wonder how we’d feel had we snuck some loser points in through the 8 game losing streak. Almost every night this team is right there and competing. It’s a breath of fresh air even considering our place in the standings.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The Devil's are winning due to the young guys playing good not due to the pieces they added. The Sabres will get there. I think many are forgetting this season was about developing and next season is when they take the big step. The way I look at it is the Sabres are the like the Devil's last season.
Including due to the added figures in roster and on the coaching bench. They have a more balanced line-up than ours. Severson would be our top 4 RD and he's playing third pair. I hope maybe we'll be like Devils next season too, but it's hard for me to be optimistic with Buffalo, we always have something going wrong. I just said about their GM that I liked what he did this offseason and wish Adams did it for Sabres.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Including due to the added figures in roster and on the coaching bench. They have a more balanced line-up than ours. Severson would be our top 4 RD and he's playing third pair. I hope maybe we'll be like Devils next season too, but it's hard for me to be optimistic with Buffalo, we always have something going wrong. I just said about their GM that I liked what he did this offseason and wish Adams did it for Sabres.
I think this rebuild will work out. Unlike seasons past, they are scoring and are in the top half for goals for. IMO it's easier to fix defense then it is to find scoring. I know many say the owner doesn't want to spend that's why they have so much cap space. I don't believe that. I think it's more they are a bit hesitant giving out big deals as the ones they have done in the past have been awful going all the way back to Ville Leino.

Another possibility in why they didn't do more has to with guys wanting to play here. Buffalo has always had issues getting guys to sign here unless they overpaid them.

Reactions: dang111

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think this rebuild will work out. Unlike seasons past, they are scoring and are in the top half for goals for. IMO it's easier to fix defense then it is to find scoring. I know many say the owner doesn't want to spend that's why they have so much cap space. I don't believe that. I think it's more they are a bit hesitant giving out big deals as the ones they have done in the past have been awful going all the way back to Ville Leino.

Another possibility in why they didn't do more has to with guys wanting to play here. Buffalo has always had issues getting guys to sign here unless they overpaid them.
Marino and Vanecek were acquired in trade. I'm not saying I'd like if would Buffalo sign Palat, but we needed some type forward like that, and I think Adams could have paid a little more in money, not term. Also, Kevyn unfortunately did not cope with the depth of defense. I just hope he closes all the gaps and depth before next season and this team makes the playoffs. Too long to win.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Marino and Vanecek were acquired in trade. I'm not saying I'd like if would Buffalo sign Palat, but we needed some type forward like that, and I think Adams could have paid a little more in money, not term. Also, Kevyn unfortunately did not cope with the depth of defense. I just hope he closes all the gaps and depth before next season and this team makes the playoffs. Too long to win.
I think he will. He may even add later this season. The plan was to be competitive this season as the young guys develop. So far they have been very competitive

Reactions: joshjull and Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think he will. He may even add later this season. The plan was to be competitive this season as the young guys develop. So far they have been very competitive
Yes, and we would now be in the race for the playoffs and would be in the table now, probably in the top eight, if our squad and depth would be a little better.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Yes, and we would now be in the race for the playoffs and would be in the table now, probably in the top eight, if our squad and depth would be a little better.
They still can get back in it. If they continue to play like they did this week they will be in the mix at the end of the season as long as they stay healthy. I'm sure there will be moves made to help depth. Right now trades aren't happening due to most teams being up against the cap

Reactions: brian_griffin

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The development curve for a 1OA forward is generally faster than a 1OA defender.

This Devils team is very good. I could see them in the finals if they stay healthy. Buffalo played them pretty tight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad