Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the McCauley; Win 3-2 over Minnesota, 11/10/23

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Great: Buffalo's handling of Hockey Fights Cancer. Another nice night for the organization.

Good: Levi, Mittelstadt, JJP.

Bad: Officials, Cozens.

Ugly: That win, but a win's a win.

Missed the third -- emergency vet visit for one of my dogs. Happy to see they eeked out a close one.

Go Sabres.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Great: Buffalo's handling of Hockey Fights Cancer. Another nice night for the organization.

Good: Levi, Mittelstadt, JJP.

Bad: Officials, Cozens.

Ugly: That win, but a win's a win.

Missed the third -- emergency vet visit for one of my dogs. Happy to see they eeked out a close one.

Go Sabres.

Hope your pup is okay!

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
So isnt it supposed to be its not a high stick if its on the follow through of a pass or shot or is it ref discretion

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
1699679352804.jpeg

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
G:
Mittelstadt was the best player for the Sabres and didn't even get a point
Greenway looked good. Would've liked for him to get one tonight
JJ staying hot!
RyJo with another great game
Levi making big saves in big moments

B:
We need an upgrade on the 4th line
Cozens clearly isn't 100% upstairs
Benching Savoie in the 3rd

U:
Wes f***ing McCauley... dude thinks he's hot shit but in reality is a garbage ref
Bogo and Moose getting away with murder multiple times tonight but calling RyJo and Greenway on soft ass penalties
Why is benching a rookie in his first game in the 3rd and trying to win the game bad?

Reactions: Dingo44

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Just 2 points away from 2nd in the division.
Really too bad they could get Mitts locked before he started to break out last year.
You could see the flashes already when Granato took over mid season as a HC a few years back.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Why is benching a rookie in his first game in the 3rd and trying to win the game bad?
I think Granato would have played Savoie more if our team wasn't wafer thin when it comes to responsible forwards.
It's morevpf an Adams thing than a Granato thing.

Reactions: Chainshot

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It was a win but they largely stunk the joint out on home ice again and got lucky. There's no excuse for constantly playing this bad on home ice.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
G: an ugly performance, but a regulation win.

It was probably better that I was out to dinner and could only partially pay attention to the game and I completely missed out on the GDT.

Levi was great

B: can’t play like that and expect to win very many games

U: I didn’t really get to see what happened on the Mitts 4 minute penalty. Looked like he was tackled to the ice and on the way down his stick caught spurgeon in the mouth? No penalty on the wild for the tackle though? Lol

1699707503564.png

This is what the shot heat map looks like for a 4.74 xGF performance from the Wild and 2.11 xGF from the Sabres.

Scoring chances 51 - 19
High danger shot attempts 23-9
Corsi 80-55
Shots 35-25
Yikes

Reactions: lecherous

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Just took a scroll through the Minny GDT, and, humorously, there was complaining about the refs and gloating about how terrible Greenway is. Perspective.
I saw that too. My thoughts were that Minny has been such a defensively responsible team for years that Greenway's defensive acumen doesn't stand out to them. For us, we have been so bad defensively that he looks amazing. No other real explanation I can think of.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I saw that too. My thoughts were that Minny has been such a defensively responsible team for years that Greenway's defensive acumen doesn't stand out to them. For us, we have been so bad defensively that he looks amazing. No other real explanation I can think of.

I also think he was pressing a bit too yesterday. Likely because he was playing his old team

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
EJ and Clifton with 3rd pairing minutes. Clifton is starting to concern me a bit - he's not bringing the ruckus.

Krebs.... well, something has to give there. He's going to find himself on the outside looking in. Not good when guys like Rousek are coming up and getting more trust from the coach.

1699719499814.png

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
EJ and Clifton with 3rd pairing minutes. Clifton is starting to concern me a bit - he's not bringing the ruckus.

Krebs.... well, something has to give there. He's going to find himself on the outside looking in. Not good when guys like Rousek are coming up and getting more trust from the coach.

View attachment 766678
aside from one play he made in the corner, Clifton was lousy.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I agree but I don’t what they do when healthy. I don’t think you can take out any of the top 6.
If it comes down to it I’m sitting Clifton over Johnson all day and it isn’t close.

There may be 7 real options for six spots…but Johnson is no worse than the 4th best guy out there. So he shouldn’t be in the sit conversation

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Just took a scroll through the Minny GDT, and, humorously, there was complaining about the refs and gloating about how terrible Greenway is. Perspective.

That’s not perspective it’s insanity. I’ll give them seeing what they want in Greenway even though it is hilarious. But that ref shit show of non calls against their team? Inarguable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad