Blue Jays Discussion: The Good-bye Loup Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Who'd we get? How many years control does Giles have?

If we don't get at least one of their top 10 prospects then Atkins really is a beta-male. lol

2 years of control. We got him to rebuild his value and deal him in the off-season/next deadline. That's the only thing that would make sense.

Decent gamble, assuming the other prospects we get are of quality.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What chronic attitude issues? Swearing in the general direction of his manager once on his way off the mound? He's a loose cannon, alright. We're not talking about John Rocker here, or even Jonathan Papelbon. And Pap never had a problem finding work.

his own team refused to play him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ken Giles is good, despite his rough year. 2 more years of control as well.

Depending on the prospects, this could be a quality deal.

Reactions: kb

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I agree with Nemesis on this one.

I'm not happy they traded osuna but after reading about this deal I agree with what some of the other posters are saying.

He has some value, if we rehab him we can get that value again without it being tainted with domestic violence.

He has the same length of control despite his age, this is basically the same for Toronto and something they are likely quite happy about.

They also did not go entirely for unproven prospects that cannot play, Giles is a MLB level closer that can play every day (you know what I mean).

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
2 years of control. We got him to rebuild his value and deal him in the off-season/next deadline. That's the only thing that would make sense.

Decent gamble, assuming the other prospects we get are of quality.

Please just get us Cionel Perez at least or even pool money. Heck, AJ Reed the once heralded prospect or Derek Fisher would even be tolerable as add ons. I'm not expecting much. Not Whitley or Alvarez or Tucker. Just someone decent.

Reactions: Kurtz

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
his own team refused to play him.
Guys getting sent to the minors to get sorted out isn't an uncommon occurrence. If Houston didn't have such a deep bullpen I'm sure he would've stayed up. The "emotional control" was secondary to the performance issues, by far. I'm not saying he's a legit elite closer in his current form of course, but to pretend he's some ticking time bomb that can destroy a clubhouse is silly.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I was just correcting what he was attacking.

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting you were saying that in a context of it being proof his issues being as bad osuna.

Beating a girlfriend or wife is just despicable behaviour. if Giles isssue, he is an asshole and no one likes him so he doesn’t play I’ll take that over a f***ing piece of shit beating his girlfriend

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
hey we got a "prospect" back older than Osuna who stinks in AAA and has a bum shoulder.

hilarious.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Giles isn’t a bad starting point especially if his ERA regresses. Flip him when he’s at his highest, and the return could potentially look even better.

Edit: Hector Perez is pretty nasty too. Definitely has some Josh Hader potential if you pop him into the pen.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I've stepped off the edge a bit after putting more thought into it. I just was of the opinion of just straight up trading Osuna at all would be a mistake. But Giles is a very good reliever as well and should garner us some nice pieces down the road. Still not sold on it but a decent prospect or two to follow would make me feel better.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
MLB.com has Hector Perez at 10, and David Paulino at 23 on the Astro's top 30

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I still don't like dumping Osuna. He was a staple in Toronto and one of the best young closers in the game.

You should build around that and hope to rehab him.

You never build around relievers. Never. The only reason that closers get treated differently than good relievers in non-closing roles is historic mythologizing and fetishizing of the save stat (largely as a tool of management and player reps to tilt the scales in contract negotiations.) And because that behavior largely pushes managers to put their best relievers into the closer role even if it's counter-intuitive.

Reactions: dirk41
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad