The golden age of Finnish hockey.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If this is a golden age, Sweden must be having a platinum age that is covered in diamonds. We are starting to recover after some horrendous years where finnish junior production was seriosly damaged, it will take time.
Since you obviously missed it, the OP presented a question whether we think Finland is now entering a new golden age, given the amount of high-profile prospects we've got into the NHL and more in the pipeline.

The answer to that question is mere speculation at the moment, as it is concerning Sweden as well. If ten to 15 years down the line we've managed to win a few titles, perhaps even that coveted best-on-best - then one could say that yes, it has indeed been a rather good age for us.

So no telling yet whether the upcoming years will be particularly dazzling, but if one is to ask whether we'll have every tool necessary to get there... the answer is a very sound yes.

What comes to Sweden's possible metal age, let's keep in mind that they can produce a team full of creatures that have spawned from Lidström and Sundin, but if said team doesn't win any, it's hardly been a golden age for 'em.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Producing flashy and good individuals brings more ticket sales ect, it helps the whole league.

Kasperi Kapanen is coming back to KalPa tonight, ticket sales have sky rocketed compared to earlier games this season. Talk about importance of offensively skilled player production.

An interesting interview with Brian Burke who discusses about the business side of hockey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjAzO5qhZ_k

I'm inclined to agree with Burke on the holistic view on the business side of hockey, which is that the entertainment value of hockey that "takes people to their edge of their seats" has to be visible on the ice and it e.g. explains why Burke preaches about Truculence(tm). In the previous years, frustration, in lack of a better word, has taken myself to the edge of my seat when it comes down to international games. The system that Jalonen put in place for the NT that resulted with success in 2011, but it was really frustrating tournament (three times into shootouts?) because players were on a leach when it comes down to creativity which leads to frustration from both spectators and players (Selänne criticizing "meidän peli"-philosophy) point of view. It's either player- or coach-lead games. Most Finns lean towards coaching-lead games due to 2011 championship, but I want players to flourish based on their personal strengths on rink and not contain them into a system. I'm not criticizing the generally higher cohesion/passing of the Finnish team in international tournaments, but it's just that I'd rather want to win or lose 6-3 with high physicality/engagement, etc... than win or lose 1-0 with players shying away from contact, etc... There's not a clear answer for this because of the subjectivity of the issue, but personally I want to increase the entertainment value of hockey.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The answer to that question is mere speculation at the moment, as it is concerning Sweden as well. If ten to 15 years down the line we've managed to win a few titles, perhaps even that coveted best-on-best - then one could say that yes, it has indeed been a rather good age for us.

I think that Finland will face tough time to get acceptance from the NHL clubs to release players to go to the world championship games, and it might even extend to Olympic games, because the players might become too important. Like, when Barkov went suffered injury in the OG's, Dale Tallon attributed the Panthers downfall from the playoffs primarily due to Barkov missing from the lineup (check-out the Tallon's end of season wrap-up from the Cat's website). When you look at the situation from the ownership's point of view, they get the coverage for the medical expenses from getting Barkov back on his feet, but there is no insurance for ending up outside of the playoffs. Thus, I would imagine that the Barkov's appearance at the Olympic games might have been one his of very few appearance in the Finnish jersey.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I think that Finland will face tough time to get acceptance from the NHL clubs to release players to go to the world championship games, and it might even extend to Olympic games, because the players might become too important. Like, when Barkov went suffered injury in the OG's, Dale Tallon attributed the Panthers downfall from the playoffs primarily due to Barkov missing from the lineup (check-out the Tallon's end of season wrap-up from the Cat's website). When you look at the situation from the ownership's point of view, they get the coverage for the medical expenses from getting Barkov back on his feet, but there is no insurance for ending up outside of the playoffs. Thus, I would imagine that the Barkov's appearance at the Olympic games might have been one his of very few appearance in the Finnish jersey.
If the NHL GMs become increasingly jealous of their star players regardless of nationality, then this point shouldn't really matter much. Matter of fact, it might even serve our purposes on some occasions if our 2nd tier players, mainly KHLers and other Europe-based replacements are on a high enough level. Just don't tell me you're implying that it'll be only the Finnish players who constantly get stumped by their club teams while every other country gets to use their heavy hitters at will. If so, then I want a puff of that thing.

And best-on-best is best-on-best. The league breaks and all healthy players are available to go. If, say, Crosby is going, then a GM really has no good argument why Barkov shouldn't go. At least without disgruntling the player somewhat.

Another thing I consider a sign of a true golden age is depth. While we are mostly talking about all the big names we have or are potentially up-and-coming, an era should not personify into a meager handful of players. It was actually something of a problem with our previous "golden generation" - being too dependent on just a few names. Selänne, Koivu, Peltonen and a few more. While we had the necessary depth to replace the supporting stars, were we to have any of the main cast sidelined and things turned into a scramble. Luckily, most of them were usually healthy at least come best-on-best time.

If things go well, Barkov for example will never develop into a truly crucial player for us, at least in the same manner Saku Koivu was to the previous generation. Apart from him, we could still have Granlund (x2), Lehterä, Teräväinen, Saarela and who else. If even one or two of 'em are available and get to go at any given time, we will never have a situation like we had in SLC 2002 for example when the team never really found its legs because Saku was battling some far more malicious than Tre Kronor.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
If the NHL GMs become increasingly jealous of their star players regardless of nationality, then this point shouldn't really matter much. Matter of fact, it might even serve our purposes on some occasions if our 2nd tier players, mainly KHLers and other Europe-based replacements are on a high enough level. Just don't tell me you're implying that it'll be only the Finnish players who constantly get stumped by their club teams while every other country gets to use their heavy hitters at will. If so, then I want a puff of that thing.

I'm not implying that predominately Finns by nationality will be rejected from representing their country; all I'm saying that some clubs, like the Panthers, might be reject Barkov from going to international games if they feel that Barkov amounts to a significant part of their success on the rink. And to my knowledge, every NHL club has the prerogative to manage where they play during on-and off the season under contract. If you ask the ownership of any NHL organisation, I'd imagine that they'll also tell you that there is no direct benefit for their organization if their players participate in international games. Of course, the players will get some extra experience but on the flip side is the danger of injuries. The indirect benefit is that their (star) players spread the popularity of the sport in the world. The fact that a player, like Crosby in your example, participates in some (best-on-best or no best-on-best) tournament doesn't force another club to send their players to that specific tournament even if they have the opportunity to do so. If you watch the YT-clip that copy-pasted on my prev. post, Burke says that GMs gotta do decisions that are not fun: if they have to decline a player from going to international games due to decision made in the management, then they have to say no to e.g. Barkov regardless how bad Barkov might feel about it. Hockey is still a business like any other: a company doesn't send their employees to serve another company's purposes voluntarily. I'm not sure what kind of a deal the NHL has with regarding the Olympic games but for me it has seemed that it's always up in the air if the players are allowed to participate; NHL/NHLPA wants a significant piece of the action from IIHF even though the OGs act as an international stage for (NHL) hockey to a larger degree than WHC-games.

I concur that especially the WHC-games will serve the 2nd tier players and prospects. I've gotta feeling that depth won't be a problem if the quality of higher quality of the top tier prospects translates to other tiers, like I stated in a previous post that there might an abundance of Finnish NHL players in the future. But for the time being, it's only a gut feeling.

All I'd like to hear, even if for just once, when entering a best-on-best or no best-on-best tourneé, something more promising from the mouths of hockey analysts than:"Compared to Canada, USA, Sweden and Russia; looks like Finland is going to have to rely, once again, on superior teamwork and great goal tending".

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not implying that predominately Finns by nationality will be rejected from representing their country; all I'm saying that some clubs, like the Panthers, might be reject Barkov from going to international games if they feel that Barkov amounts to a significant part of their success on the rink. And to my knowledge, every NHL club has the prerogative to manage where they play during on-and off the season under contract. If you ask the ownership of any NHL organisation, I'd imagine that they'll also tell you that there is no direct benefit for their organization if their players participate in international games. Of course, the players will get some extra experience but on the flip side is the danger of injuries. The indirect benefit is that their (star) players spread the popularity of the sport in the world. The fact that a player, like Crosby in your example, participates in some (best-on-best or no best-on-best) tournament doesn't force another club to send their players to that specific tournament even if they have the opportunity to do so. If you watch the YT-clip that copy-pasted on my prev. post, Burke says that GMs gotta do decisions that are not fun: if they have to decline a player from going to international games due to decision made in the management, then they have to say no to e.g. Barkov regardless how bad Barkov might feel about it. Hockey is still a business like any other: a company doesn't send their employees to serve another company's purposes voluntarily. I'm not sure what kind of a deal the NHL has with regarding the Olympic games but for me it has seemed that it's always up in the air if the players are allowed to participate; NHL/NHLPA wants a significant piece of the action from IIHF even though the OGs act as an international stage for (NHL) hockey to a larger degree than WHC-games.
This is all correct... concerning tournaments when there is no leaguewide break to release selected players, ie. the WHCs. And I was fully aware of it already. But I wasn't referring to WHCs. I clearly said "best-on-best is best-on-best". This refers to the very condition that the NHL breaks and lets selected players to participate, because there is no other way to have a best-on-best tournament, perhaps save for pushing the WHC all the way to July (or have it very early in the fall).

And here's the thing - if the league decides to break, then all clubs are contractually obligated to release healthy players who have been selected. Florida's GM can sit down with Barkov and ask him not to go, but he can't tell him not to or threaten with repercussions without getting crap from the PA.

What's Florida's stance on Barkov going to WHCs is guesswork as much from you as it is from me, but there is no shenanigans to predict with the World Cup or the Olympics - as long as the NHL decides to participate as a whole. As a league, they can only make that decision. Nobody goes or everybody goes. And if they decide to break the league and let everybody go, then individual GMs can't do jack about it no matter how key the player is to their post-tournament success. Only one who can refuse to let the player participate is the player himself.

Currently there is no decision in place about future olympics, so your prediction about not seeing Barkov in blue-and-white as often as we'd like may be correct. But let's argue that in the right context - that being the WHCs - and leave the World Cup and possible olympic participation out of it.

And this is why I consider all that rambling about the NHL GMs and their hard decisions more or less a moot point here. Even if one or two individuals are told not to go by their clubs - a country in a true golden age can always find suitable replacements to a WHC. If Barkov can't go, perhaps one of the other guys will. And best-on-best is never in jeopardy.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
This is all correct... concerning tournaments when there is no leaguewide break to release selected players, ie. the WHCs. And I was fully aware of it already. But I wasn't referring to WHCs. I clearly said "best-on-best is best-on-best". This refers to the very condition that the NHL breaks and lets selected players to participate, because there is no other way to have a best-on-best tournament, perhaps save for pushing the WHC all the way to July (or have it very early in the fall).

I stand corrected; you're right with the distinction of the tournament types.

I I just wonder why, if I remember correctly, Pär Mårts complaining a few years back about the numerous Swedish players rejecting invitations to WHC-games due to injuries or, at his words, hiding behind excuses. If the players aren't interested wearing the Tre Kronor-jersey then they are not and that should be the end of the discussion. I'm pretty sure that some players fake injuries for tabloid magazines in order to avoid explaining their lack of interest with the WHC-games. 82 games takes enough toll for a player even without the WHC-games in the calendar.

I'm pretty sure that the NHL will continue to support the players participation for the Olympic games especially if the World Cup has entered into the consideration of the league as well, thus, having the possibility to see best-on-best tournaments every other year.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
NHL (so far)

Filppula - Koivu - Ruutu
Korpikoski - Granlund - Barkov
Jokinen - Jokinen - Teräväinen
Haula - Lehterä - Komarov
Granlund

Määttä - Vatanen
Ristolainen

Rask/Rinne/Niemi

From KHL:

1. Niklas Hagman (LW) Jokerit 15 12 4 16 1.07 6 8
2. Juhamatti Aaltonen (RW) Jokerit 16 4 12 16 1.00 18 11
3. Antti Pihlström (LW/RW) Salavat Yulaev Ufa 15 10 4 14 0.93 6 4
4. Sakari Salminen (RW/LW) Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 15 5 8 13 0.87 6 8
5. Niko Kapanen (C) Jokerit 16 5 7 12 0.75 12 9
6. Toni Rajala (LW/RW) Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk 14 2 9 11 0.79 6 1
7. Teemu Hartikainen (LW) Salavat Yulaev Ufa 15 3 7 10 0.67 6 2
8. Juuso Hietanen (D) Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 15 3 7 10 0.67 14 3
9. Jarkko Immonen (C) Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 15 3 6 9 0.60 8 11
10. Janne Pesonen (LW) Ak Bars Kazan 14 5 3 8 0.57 8 2
11. Tommi Taimi (D) Amur Khabarovsk 14 2 6 8 0.57 10 -13
12. Jonas Enlund (LW/C) Sibir Novosibirsk 12 1 7 8 0.67 0 -3
13. Ilkka Heikkinen (D) Salavat Yulaev Ufa 15 4 2 6 0.40 4 4
14. Tommi Huhtala (LW) Jokerit 15 4 2 6 0.40 18 0
15. Sami Lepistö (D) Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg 16 1 5 6 0.38 14 -2
16. Petteri Nokelainen (C/RW) Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 14 4 1 5 0.36 26 -1
17. Oskar Osala (LW/RW) Metallurg Magnitogorsk 15 3 2 5 0.33 19 5
18. Jarno Koskiranta (C) Sibir Novosibirsk 12 1 4 5 0.42 2 1
19. Ville Lajunen (D) Jokerit 14 1 4 5 0.36 8 4
20. Jesse Niinimäki (C) Amur Khabarovsk 11 3 1 4 0.36 10 -6
21. Jere Sallinen (LW/RW) Jokerit 13 1 3 4 0.31 6 -2
22. Janne Jalasvaara (D) Dynamo Moskva 15 1 3 4 0.27 4 5
23. Oskari Korpikari (D) Jokerit 8 2 1 3 0.38 6 0
24. Jere Karalahti (D) Jokerit 12 1 2 3 0.25 10 2
25. Riku Hahl (C) Jokerit 14 1 2 3 0.21 0 -3
26. Teemu Eronen (D) Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk 6 0 3 3 0.50 4 -1
27. Semir Ben-Amor (RW) Jokerit 8 1 1 2 0.25 6 1
28. Ossi Väänänen (D) Jokerit 6 0 2 2 0.33 6 -1
29. Max Wärn (RW) HK Sochi 12 1 0 1 0.08 4 -5
30. Topi Jaakola (D) Jokerit 15 1 0 1 0.07 8 1
31. Tomi Mäki (C/W) Jokerit 13 0 1 1 0.08 4 -2
32. Atte Ohtamaa (D) Jokerit 13 0 1 1 0.08 14 5
33. Frank Gymer (F) Jokerit - - - - 0.00 -
34. Ilari Melart (D) Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk - - - - 0.00 -
35. Jani Rita (LW/RW) Jokerit 6 0 0 0 0.00 0 -2
36. Eetu Pöysti (RW) Jokerit 8 0 0 0 0.00 8 -2
37. Joonas Järvinen (D) HK Sochi 10 0 0 0 0.00 8 -9

1. Riku Helenius Jokerit 10 2.42 .920
2. Atte Engren Atlant Mytishchi 13 2.99 .905
3. Mikko Koskinen Sibir Novosibirsk 12 2.81 .898
4. Harri Säteri Vityaz Podolsk 13 3.60 .898
5. Ville Kolppanen Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk 8 3.77 .883
6. Ari Ahonen Admiral Vladivostok 5 4.97 .838

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I'm hopeful for this generation but still a bit pessimistic.. It's not a big leap of pessimism to see Pulkkinen, Armia etc come back on the milk train..

This year will imo be the decider, they must knuckle down and be professional in everything they do, to make the break. If they rely on talent alone then they will be coming home just like Tukonen, Perttu Lindgren, and many others did.
This is the next step they must take, otherwise this is just as promising as what the early 2000's were, multiple first round selections per draft but most never making it.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's not entirely unfounded pessimism concerning those two. The lack of a designated scorer is the only big question mark, and something I'd like to see amended sooner rather than later.

However, it's not like the line ends with Armia and Pulkkinen. We already have the next batch brewing in the form of Kapanen, Puljujärvi, Laine and who else. Since we seem to be producing decent prospects at least, it'll only be a matter of time before one or two of them will break through big time.

Short term, it's not looking so good since it'll take at least 3-4 years for those guys to break into general consciousness. If we are to consider the 2016 World Cup for example, it appears that our main go-to-guy for that tournament is Jussi Jokinen - perhaps save for a very timely and successful rookie season by Kapanen. Guess there's also a chance that some late bloomer establishes himself through WHCs or such.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
I'm hopeful for this generation but still a bit pessimistic.. It's not a big leap of pessimism to see Pulkkinen, Armia etc come back on the milk train..

This year will imo be the decider, they must knuckle down and be professional in everything they do, to make the break. If they rely on talent alone then they will be coming home just like Tukonen, Perttu Lindgren, and many others did.
This is the next step they must take, otherwise this is just as promising as what the early 2000's were, multiple first round selections per draft but most never making it.

I'm pretty sure Pulkkinen will make it. Detroit just tends to keep their prospects in AHL until they are 100% ready. Just ask Gustav Nyquist. If he scores 30 goals again this year, some team is going to give him a chance.

Agree on Armia though. He has to dominate and score 20-30 goals this year.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
However, it's not like the line ends with Armia and Pulkkinen. We already have the next batch brewing in the form of Kapanen, Puljujärvi, Laine and who else.

Lehkonen, Saarela, Rantanen, and plenty more to come. Then there are are also older prospects like Markus Granlund, Keränen and Pakarinen. Mikael Granlund has also stated that he wants to become a legitimate scoring threat in the NHL. Then when you factor in the prospects we have on defense, I don't think scoring will be an issue. There might not be a single 40-50 goal NHLer coming up, but plenty in the 20-35 range.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Hopefully Kari Jalonen is more favorable towards younger players than Jukka. EHT is the perfect platform to give our younger guys some experience against Europe's best players. Results don't really matter and it gives them (+ the national team) extremely valuable information where they need to develop.

Now that we are finally getting better younger players, why not give them a chance? It's not like we need to "test" guys like Niko Kapanen and Lasse Kukkonen in the EHT for the 200th time. I'm not saying Patrik Laine needs to be in the team, but the time is right for testing Lehkonen/Donskoi/Lindell/Husso etc. If Kasperi Kapanen sets the league on fire, maybe give even him couple of games and see what happens.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lehkonen, Saarela, Rantanen, and plenty more to come. Then there are are also older prospects like Markus Granlund, Keränen and Pakarinen. Mikael Granlund has also stated that he wants to become a legitimate scoring threat in the NHL. Then when you factor in the prospects we have on defense, I don't think scoring will be an issue. There might not be a single 40-50 goal NHLer coming up, but plenty in the 20-35 range.
If we are to think about proper roling, having that single "right wing" scoring type is going to make building that top line so much easier. If you have good support scorers but not one that basically fits the mold, you'll always have to scramble a bit.

Out of the ones you listed, I'll give Keränen and Rantanen the proper benefit of doubt. Lehkonen seems more like an utility player, Saarela wants to be a centre, MaG is a playmaker and Pakarinen a power forward. Good players in their own right, all of them, but not the right type. All are, however, convertable if need be. But when you have to ask a player to adjust, even a little, you're likely not going to get a 100% out of them. We've seen that before.

Hopefully Kari Jalonen is more favorable towards younger players than Jukka. EHT is the perfect platform to give our younger guys some experience against Europe's best players. Results don't really matter and it gives them (+ the national team) extremely valuable information where they need to develop.
Agree in principle, but have to point out that while JJ might have been a slight disappointment, he was still miles more favorable towards youngsters than Erkka. Matter of fact, the guy built our current "prime aged" player base all by himself. Which means JJ gave 'em their chance when they still were relatively young.

I'd say following JJ's example is the least KJ should do. You all saw what happened with Erkka. When he ran out of established options, he basically crapped the bed.

Now that we are finally getting better younger players, why not give them a chance? It's not like we need to "test" guys like Niko Kapanen and Lasse Kukkonen in the EHT for the 200th time. I'm not saying Patrik Laine needs to be in the team, but the time is right for testing Lehkonen/Donskoi/Lindell/Husso etc. If Kasperi Kapanen sets the league on fire, maybe give even him couple of games and see what happens.
You know, N.Kapanen said he's retired from NT so if I suddenly saw his name on the EHT roster, I'd actually go squee - since it would mean KJ managed to lure him back into the fold. Our only other established centre currently in Europe is Immonen.

Also, for all other slots, both F and D, our current depth in Europe is actually pretty decent - thanks to JJ - so there's no urgent need to widen the search from that. Long term, all the players who mentioned and others need to get their chance. But there's no need to hang the Nose if his first couple of rosters are more or less the same old. He's a new coach after all - so it's less of a sign of him folding and more like him establishing his authority over the existing base. Once he's done that though, I hope he takes a proper account of the areas we're lacking in and sets his aim to fill those slots with proper long-term solutions rather than quick patchwork jobs who become obsolete in a season or two due to age.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Out of the ones you listed, I'll give Keränen and Rantanen the proper benefit of doubt. Lehkonen seems more like an utility player, Saarela wants to be a centre, MaG is a playmaker and Pakarinen a power forward. Good players in their own right, all of them, but not the right type. All are, however, convertable if need be. But when you have to ask a player to adjust, even a little, you're likely not going to get a 100% out of them. We've seen that before.

I'd say following JJ's example is the least KJ should do. You all saw what happened with Erkka. When he ran out of established options, he basically crapped the bed.

I don't know how you would define a the "right type", but in my mind the Finnish goal scorer prospect are very much of a work in progress in some sense. The current 30+ goal scorers in the NHL, in my opinion, usually either embrace contact/garbage goals (e.g. Vanek, Okposo, Pavelski, E.Kane) or possess superior skating ability (P.Kane, Skinner, Kessel) besides the obvious scoring touch. And then you have the guys that have it all (Crosby, AO, Benn). For an example in Armia's case, he doesn't have a significant advantage in skating ability to separate himself from the opponent and he has known to shy away from contact in the past (even though he's improved a lot in the latter department during the past year). Same thing could be said also about Barkov to a much smaller degree. Thus, Finnish prospect still have a long way to go to earn the title of a "legitimate scoring threat". Puljujärvi and Laine seems to be the only ones in the horizon that might have the required skating ability and physicality to be a force to be reckoned with. Even though, I'm optimistic about the prospects, I wouldn't expect anyone to be a new 40+ goal scorer in the NHL, but a bunch of similar players by style to 20-goal scoring Krejci, Ennis, etc.

Dunno what do you mean 'Erkka crapping the bed', but JJ's track record would have spoken for itself if it had to come down to 2014 Olympics: Määttä and Barkov would have most definitely been left out of the games because of limited exposure to A-level games and general lack of experience. And for the matter, Barkov being the 1st line center. And I don't know how JJ himself creates a player base for the NT? Not fan of favoring certain players over others just for the sake of it. Quite a catch-22. Personally I'd rather strike the iron when it's hot - players that are on fire (in a respectful league) should be preferred instead of what happened five years ago.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Dunno what do you mean 'Erkka crapping the bed', but JJ's track record would have spoken for itself if it had to come down to 2014 Olympics: Määttä and Barkov would have most definitely been left out of the games because of limited exposure to A-level games and general lack of experience. And for the matter, Barkov being the 1st line center. And I don't know how JJ himself creates a player base for the NT? Not fan of favoring certain players over others just for the sake of it. Quite a catch-22. Personally I'd rather strike the iron when it's hot - players that are on fire (in a respectful league) should be preferred instead of what happened five years ago.
So Erkka picking two players who had managed to establish themselves in the NHL somehow represents superior scouting ability that would have whistled right past J.Jalonen's head? Puh-leeze. Picking Määttä and Barkov were more or less a force of circumstance, and it's actually a fair assumption that only the most obstinate of coaches would have left them out. Which Jalonen does NOT have a track record of.

Besides, there was not a single unestablished player in the Sochi team, so saying Erkka made some "great finds" is not really of this world. All he picked was a bunch of career NHLers and KHLers. In fact, all there is to say about Erkka's ability to turn every stone is him, preceding Sochi, ON THE RECORD, saying he's not even aware whether he can pick players from the AHL. Normally you might give a coach a pass since it was the olympic team we were talking about, but in this case there truly were some d-men in the farm that should have been in contention and on top of that, Sami Vatanen taking constant elevator rides between Ducks and Norfolk.

And then, along came the WHC...

Matter of fact: Jalonen had a chance to pick Juhamatti Aaltonen at relatively young age. He did so in 2010. Jalonen had a chance to pick Sakari Salminen at the same age in 2013. He did so. He picked Sami Vatanen at 18(!!) in 2010. And last but not least, he picked Mikael Granlund. Apart from them, Jalonen helped Sami Lepistö, Juuso Hietanen, Antti Pihlström, Jarkko Immonen and Petri Kontiola establish themselves in the NT. All also players Erkka utilized to great effect in Sochi. So yeah. Jalonen did plenty work over his tenure to turn a bunch of fringe players into olympic level performers.

Erkka had the chance to pick Teuvo Teräväinen and Michael Keränen. He picked neither. Rather he picked a team that had one 1st line and three 4th lines, hoping that Lehterä & Konna can pot one or two a game and the rest of the guys can help Rinne keep his net clean.

Apart from picking youngsters, Jalonen had the frustrating habit of picking aged current-season miracles who turned out to be busts in the bright lights. But in Jalonen's defense at least he didn't try to fill a team with grinders. Which is exactly why I said and will keep on saying that Erkka crapped the bed.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
So Erkka picking two players who had managed to establish themselves in the NHL somehow represents superior scouting ability that would have whistled right past J.Jalonen's head? Puh-leeze. Picking Määttä and Barkov were more or less a force of circumstance, and it's actually a fair assumption that only the most obstinate of coaches would have left them out. Which Jalonen does NOT have a track record of.

Well dunno about how many players in 2010 were then "unestablished", by your definition, what ever that is, which would make JJ anymore better coach than Erkka at pro scouting as far as Olympics go. There's a reason why it was titled as the swan song for the old-timers. I wouldn't call neither Barkov or Määttä an established NHL players yet at that point, when the selection was made, with 30 or so games under their belt (even though they were earning high minutes in their respective clubs). Your statement about choosing career NHLers/KHLers is true also for 2010 Olympics. Quick quiz: was J.Jokinen selected into the roster? No, SO PUH-LEEZE TO YOURSELF. And I'm not saying that Erkka is a gods gift to NT pro scouting; actually, the question of choosing between Erkka's and JJ's ability to scout is which of two options sucks less.

It's bit of unfair to judge Erkka on the basis of that during his tenure he didn't bring any young guys to wear the NT when J.Jokinen(@21 in WC), Bergenheim(22), Filppula, Immonen, Kukkonen(24), Niskala, Kontiola(23) etc. in fact made their first first appearances on the A-level during his tenure compared to your JMA and Salminen at 24/25 years old, Vatanen and Granlund. Talking about someone else utilizing players afterwards when it's all said and done... And not to mention that JJ acts as some kind of a ********n wizard by coaching e.g. SM-liiga-level players for couple of weeks in a year, during the WC-games, results into a highly improved Olympic level player. A real Midas of hockey.

Ok, Teräväinen and Keränen wasn't on the team and I would have wanted them to be on the team. Meanwhile; Saros, Salomäki, Pakarinen and Haula were still on the team. Two players exempt from your dream team is what makes a coach crap his bed, I reckon. I'm not judging Erkka just based on this season alone. And the same thing goes for JJ. I agree, that the 2014 WC-team was on the grindish-side, but, come on now, they got the job done up until they got shafted by the refs. JJ might have not filled the roster with 4th liners, but he made damn sure with the 'meidän peli'-tactic that they almost act like one on the rink with constant cycle-and perimeter-play 'till kingdom come.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well dunno about how many players in 2010 were then "unestablished", by your definition, what ever that is, which would make JJ anymore better coach than Erkka at pro scouting as far as Olympics go. There's a reason why it was titled as the swan song for the old-timers. I wouldn't call neither Barkov or Määttä an established NHL players yet at that point, when the selection was made, with 30 or so games under their belt (even though they were earning high minutes in their respective clubs). Your statement about choosing career NHLers/KHLers is true also for 2010 Olympics. Quick quiz: was J.Jokinen selected into the roster? No, SO PUH-LEEZE TO YOURSELF. And I'm not saying that Erkka is a gods gift to NT pro scouting; actually, the question of choosing between Erkka's and JJ's ability to scout is which of two options sucks less.
Wait... did you just say that because J.Jokinen wasn't picked to Vancouver, Jalonen would not have picked Määttä and Barkov to Sochi? What kind of leap in logic is that exactly? :laugh:

And indeed. Choosing an olympic team is not rocket science. You grab whatever players you can from the NHL and fill the holes to your best ability. Which means Määttä and Barkov may as well have been established at that point. If you have two long-time NHL d-men and that's it, even the kid with just 30 games on his belt and another in constant elevator motion become real enticing options. Erkka couldn't afford to overlook these kids. I don't think any coach would have - including J.Jalonen. Force of circumstance. One could make a case for Barkov, but with M.Koivu questionable, S.Koivu declined and N.Kapanen injured, the options were running pretty thin on that front as well (and got even thinner after Filppula was injured too). If there had been a ton of established players in their prime available, neither of them would have made the team, with Erkka nor Jalonen. To say that one of them would not have picked 'em while lauding other that he did is nothing but troll logic.

It's bit of unfair to judge Erkka on the basis of that during his tenure he didn't bring any young guys to wear the NT when J.Jokinen(@21 in WC), Bergenheim(22), Filppula, Immonen, Kukkonen(24), Niskala, Kontiola(23) etc.
Let's take a closer look at those names then.
J.Jokinen: Nice one. He truly made a WHC debut at 21 with nothing but SM-liiga experience.
Bergenheim: Nearly 50 games of NHL experience at his NT debut at -06 WHC. Can't argue that required a big stab in the dark.
Filppula: Six EHT games in 2004-05 season. No WHC though. If you wish to bring EHT into the mix, I can give you plenty more examples from the Jalonen reign. Sure you wanna go there?
Immonen: Like Filppula, picked for EHT but no major tournament experience before Jalonen's tenure. (Note that every player I listed actually made it to a major tournament under Jalonen.)
Kukkonen: A genuine find.
Niskala: Sporadic EHT visitor under Erkka. Major tournament performer under Jalonen.
Kontiola: A genuine pick. Borderline case though, since he was hardly an impact player in 2007 and was an in-and-out case even after that.

So we have around three rather solid finds over Erkka's tenure. Not exactly the most dazzling record one could say. Jalonen's still better. Of course, Jalonen mostly worked under a force of circumstance since the players that should have been in their prime over his years were the ones from the "black hole", so it's not like he had a choice other than locating these fringe players and whipping them into shape. But he did by no means do a bad job at that - and deserves full merit for it. Which, by the way, also serves as a partial excuse to him picking these one-season wonders. They may not have been prime material, but at least the man tried to find skill where he could.

Ok, Teräväinen and Keränen wasn't on the team and I would have wanted them to be on the team. Meanwhile; Saros, Salomäki, Pakarinen and Haula were still on the team. Two players exempt from your dream team is what makes a coach crap his bed, I reckon.
It does, when said players had impact potential. Shafting them in favor of another pair of grinders with no shortage of them to begin with was a move that should not be passed over with a simple footnote. Or do you really not have the necessary understanding of one of the basic premises of hockey: You pick the right man for every job. Grinders should have no business in top six when there are skill players available. If you're unable to comprehend that, this exchange is over 'til you go take that hockey 101 course.

And Haula is no example. He was a late addition, had NHL experience at that point - and was only the fourth choice after it became clear M.Koivu, Granlund and Määttä would be no-shows. Less of a discovery, more like another force of circumstance.

I'm not judging Erkka just based on this season alone. And the same thing goes for JJ. I agree, that the 2014 WC-team was on the grindish-side, but, come on now, they got the job done up until they got shafted by the refs.
Oh you're one of those who believe that line. Yep, this exchange is definitely over. They lost clean to a superior opponent. Perhaps the numbers would have been more flattering with better reffing, but they would have lost nonetheless. Of course, it's easier to blame the refs than come to that conclusion despite the evidence being laid out bare.

JJ might have not filled the roster with 4th liners, but he made damn sure with the 'meidän peli'-tactic that they almost act like one on the rink with constant cycle-and perimeter-play 'till kingdom come.
Jalonen has a title on his belt to prove his tactics can work in taking a team all the way. How many does Erkka have?

-Ugh. How'd we veer into this debate anyway? I thought this thread was for getting pumped about the new golden age we're about to enter, not for dwelling in the mistakes of the bronze age before that. Of course, as they say those who don't remember the mistakes of the past are forced to relive 'em... so in that sense, I ought to say that I suppose it's good to have (yet another) account of what previous skippers did right and what they did wrong. My stance is that while Erkka did plenty good in his first tenure roughly a decade ago, his encore showed that he was mostly stuck in those days and unable to move on, unless his hand was forced. J.Jalonen... did try different things at least. Some of it worked, some didn't. My wish for KJ and his successors is that they know to take with the stuff that did work and further improve on it - and bury the rest.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Wait... did you just say that because J.Jokinen wasn't picked to Vancouver, Jalonen would not have picked Määttä and Barkov to Sochi? What kind of leap in logic is that exactly? :laugh:

J.Jokinen wasn't selected into the team even though for every other coach he'd been an obvious choice. Jalonen wouldn't have selected Barkov into the team if e.g. Filppula would have been healthy at the time. That would have turned the question into Immonen/Kontiola or Barkov? Knowing Jalonen, he wouldn't have traded one his one own boys that have absorbed his doctrines for the past years for an unknown player that has no knowledge of his masterful tactics whatsoever. I think you have one 'em "force of circumstance"-cards coming up to to this one as well. And I'll tell you what... I guess I have to take your word for it.

So "whatever NHL player" falls under the category of "established NHL player"... err, okay. I don't think any player who fringes the NHL, passes as an established NHL player. If the "Grinders should have no business in top six when there are skill players available. If you're unable to comprehend that, this exchange is over 'til you go take that hockey 101 course." and "... Shafting them in favor of another pair of grinders with no shortage of them to begin with was a move that should not be passed over with a simple footnote."- logic pans out also vice versa, then who were the grinders on the 2010 OG team besides J.Ruutu? E.g. Korpikoski, Nokelainen and Philström would've been part of the team if the selection was truly made on the basis of roles and, especially, if it cannot be lopsided even an inch an one way or another? If Erkka got his roster selection was screwed up big time then there is no words to describe the team that JJ put together in 2010 OGs, which resulted in a quite a memorable meltdown in the semis. Well, J.Jokinen should have been selected and later on Jalonen admitted he'd made a mistake regarding his case. Although, one single player doesn't make an entire team. And both coaches were highly inconsistent in their selection process as they came. Even though Jalonen was supposedly known for player selection according to role but no evidence of that in 2010 OG.

So we have around three rather solid finds over Erkka's tenure... deserves full merit for it.

Haven't said his record was dazzling.
Way to downplay players own contributions to their success. Like Kontiola, Immonen and co. wouldn't amount to s**t in the NT if it weren't for Jalonen to scout and redeem them from the oblivion.

Jalonen has a title on his belt to prove his tactics can work in taking a team all the way. How many does Erkka have?

JJ's team was on the verge of being left outside of the semis due to being continuously on the deficit during games and winning 'em in the shootouts. If JJ's strategy was that much of a superior than that of the opponents, I'd think that we would have seen a much bigger goal differentials and not won games just by a pubic hair. Furthermore, I much rather judge a coach on the basis what I see on the ice rather than looking at the box scores. At their best performances, the latter option resulted into a world championship in 2011 through close calls; whereas the 2006 OG team won the silver by proceeding to the finals through a series of shutouts. The '11 championship was greatly needed after so many years of drought. But the way it was achieved, I'd rather not see that style again. I regard that the Turin games were the most dominant display of Finnish hockey prowess what I've seen so far. The silvers from the best-on-best tournaments are more valuable than the 2011/95 championships. Though, if you ain't first, you're last, eh? :sarcasm:

Oh you're one of those who believe that line.

I'll acknowledge a superior opponent when the playing field is even for both sides. Easily the worst refereeing I've seen without, without the blue 'n white-glasses, conducted on an international stage with missed game misconducts, and over fifteen minutes of non-calls and successful diving by the Russians "accepted" by the beer league refs does change an outcome of a game just "a tiny bit" more than a few goals. However, due to my lack of comprehension of hockey you so well point out, a hockey team should endure about an entire period worth of non-calls and fishing expeditions by the opponent before it really starts to show on the score board. But hey, end of the day, whatta **** do I know, right? :)

-Ugh. How'd we veer into this debate anyway?

Well, you tell me, buddy... it never ceases to amaze me how people have an inclination to wind themselves up for a heated debate over essentially subjective issues instead of accepting that people might have different opinions of certain things no matter much it is against their own opinion. Anyhoo, I'm hopeful that we'll see an increase in the amount of young guys in the NT jersey during the upcoming KJ-era, especially players from the AHL (which has been considered basically as a first rate minor league by every single previous head coach) if there's anything to believe in what J.Lehtinen has said in the media. The quote that you are looking for is 'what is past, is prologue'.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
J.Jokinen wasn't selected into the team even though for every other coach he'd been an obvious choice. Jalonen wouldn't have selected Barkov into the team if e.g. Filppula would have been healthy at the time. That would have turned the question into Immonen/Kontiola or Barkov? Knowing Jalonen, he wouldn't have traded one his one own boys that have absorbed his doctrines for the past years for an unknown player that has no knowledge of his masterful tactics whatsoever. I think you have one 'em "force of circumstance"-cards coming up to to this one as well. And I'll tell you what... I guess I have to take your word for it.
Straw man argument. Ever heard the term? I don't have to play a single card with this line of reasoning because all you've done here is build your very own "what if" scenario and have proceeded to assault Jalonen based on that. Like I said, you're praising one man for what he did and mocking another for what he possibly would have done. That's as far from an even comparison as can be. I'm not calling it a mistaken assumption though, simply because there is not a way for anyone to know. Perhaps in an alternate reality where Jalonen signed an extension and was still coaching the team this past season people know the answer. But in this reality, this line of reasoning is nothing more than a personal fantasy you choose to believe in. It has no place in this debate.

So "whatever NHL player" falls under the category of "established NHL player"... err, okay. I don't think any player who fringes the NHL, passes as an established NHL player. If the "Grinders should have no business in top six when there are skill players available. If you're unable to comprehend that, this exchange is over 'til you go take that hockey 101 course." and "... Shafting them in favor of another pair of grinders with no shortage of them to begin with was a move that should not be passed over with a simple footnote."- logic pans out also vice versa, then who were the grinders on the 2010 OG team besides J.Ruutu? E.g. Korpikoski, Nokelainen and Philström would've been part of the team if the selection was truly made on the basis of roles and, especially, if it cannot be lopsided even an inch an one way or another? If Erkka got his roster selection was screwed up big time then there is no words to describe the team that JJ put together in 2010 OGs, which resulted in a quite a memorable meltdown in the semis. Well, J.Jokinen should have been selected and later on Jalonen admitted he'd made a mistake regarding his case. Although, one single player doesn't make an entire team. And both coaches were highly inconsistent in their selection process as they came. Even though Jalonen was supposedly known for player selection according to role but no evidence of that in 2010 OG.
The Vancouver team actually had more grinders than J.Ruutu. It had Peltonen, Kapanen, Miettinen... and to some extent, Hagman and Filppula. Because, you see, while those guys may not be known as grinders, their skillsets perfectly allow conversion into such roles, resulting in a properly roled hockey team.

Rather a simple concept, actually. Hockey 101 material certainly. You can take a more skilled player with the necessary toolset and use them in a role that requires less skill of them. Hypothetically, if one had nine players more skilled than Crosby, one could still take Crosby and put him in the 4th line and he'd probably do a job equal, if not better, than your run-of-the-mill grinder.

Jalonen was very lucky in 2010 to have the luxury where he could take a player like Ville Peltonen and put him in the 4th line and know he delivers. However, you naturally can't do it the other way around. Trying to take a bunch of grinders and turn them into top-six guys with a snap of one's fingers is pure lottery. I'm not saying it's not possible - some career grinders could actually flourish when given the chance, but it still involves a gamble one shouldn't take if there are more suitable players available. I wish someone would have told Erkka that last spring.

Haven't said his record was dazzling.
Way to downplay players own contributions to their success. Like Kontiola, Immonen and co. wouldn't amount to s**t in the NT if it weren't for Jalonen to scout and redeem them from the oblivion.
I wasn't downplaying anybody. Simply pointing out that in my defense of Jalonen, I could actually recite major tournament performers. Your defense of Erkka mainly consisted of guys who were merely EHT level back then. And yet you have the gall to imply that Jalonen didn't do a good job with what he had. He took plenty more stabs in the dark than Erkka ever did.

Not that I'm sated with Jalonen on that account. There's plenty more room for improvement in that sector, and I do hope that Jalonen vol.2 veers over there eventually. However, his current minimum level was without question set by J.Jalonen, not E.Westerlund.

JJ's team was on the verge of being left outside of the semis due to being continuously on the deficit during games and winning 'em in the shootouts. If JJ's strategy was that much of a superior than that of the opponents, I'd think that we would have seen a much bigger goal differentials and not won games just by a pubic hair. Furthermore, I much rather judge a coach on the basis what I see on the ice rather than looking at the box scores. At their best performances, the latter option resulted into a world championship in 2011 through close calls; whereas the 2006 OG team won the silver by proceeding to the finals through a series of shutouts. The '11 championship was greatly needed after so many years of drought. But the way it was achieved, I'd rather not see that style again. I regard that the Turin games were the most dominant display of Finnish hockey prowess what I've seen so far. The silvers from the best-on-best tournaments are more valuable than the 2011/95 championships. Though, if you ain't first, you're last, eh?
From a purely academic perspective, any best-on-best medal carries more weight than anything achieved on those yearly Skoda Cups. However, when debating who's the better coach one actually shouldn't just say "olympic silver > WHC gold" and be done with it. Because getting to that medal consists of two parts: Player selection and actual tournament performance. General public usually only tends to remember the latter part while the former bears as great, if not greater weight on the end result.

In a country like Finland where we can barely scrape together a full team made of career NHLers, building a squad for best-on-best is surprisingly trivial matter. I actually explained the general formula earlier. Heck, based on that, any one of the usual suspects populating this section of HFBoards could put together a Finnish team for Olympics/World Cup that had medal winning potential. We'd of course still have healthy debates whose team's got the best odds, but they'd all have some - that would never be in question. Not that any of us would fare plenty good when it came to coaching said team in the second part, but that's beyond the point. It's fully acceptable to berate even a pro coach for botching the player selection but praise him for his in-tournament performance. Other way around is also possible, but far more rare.

However, player selection for a WHC is far more grueling process because one can't use the simple best-on-best formula. It requires a far keener eye to put together a winning team that mostly consists of your 2nd tier material. Jalonen pulled it off, once. Erkka never did.

And as far as saying you don't want ever to see us win in the manner Jalonen did... you are aware hockey is a sport where they don't award style points, right?

It'd be nice if they did though, as then Finnish hockey already would have an olympic gold on its record. Perhaps even more than one. But, alas, up to this day when I visit Wikipedia, all it says is that the 2006 olympic champion is Sweden. Nowhere does it say that Finland is the moral champion.

I'll acknowledge a superior opponent when the playing field is even for both sides. Easily the worst refereeing I've seen without, without the blue 'n white-glasses, conducted on an international stage with missed game misconducts, and over fifteen minutes of non-calls and successful diving by the Russians "accepted" by the beer league refs does change an outcome of a game just "a tiny bit" more than a few goals. However, due to my lack of comprehension of hockey you so well point out, a hockey team should endure about an entire period worth of non-calls and fishing expeditions by the opponent before it really starts to show on the score board. But hey, end of the day, whatta **** do I know, right?
With or without better reffing, it wasn't a particularly good game of hockey from Team Finland. That is a fact, clearly visible even from the portions of game the refs did not take part in. Eliminating the bad reffing from the equation does not create a result that gives Finland a win - that is another "what if" scenario. It's worth noting that my estimate of Finland losing the game regardless is not a guarantee either. But unlike that other scenario, this one is based on actual probability, not another personal fantasy.

Well, you tell me, buddy... it never ceases to amaze me how people have an inclination to wind themselves up for a heated debate over essentially subjective issues instead of accepting that people might have different opinions of certain things no matter much it is against their own opinion. Anyhoo, I'm hopeful that we'll see an increase in the amount of young guys in the NT jersey during the upcoming KJ-era, especially players from the AHL (which has been considered basically as a first rate minor league by every single previous head coach) if there's anything to believe in what J.Lehtinen has said in the media. The quote that you are looking for is 'what is past, is prologue'.
There is nothing wrong with subjectivity in principle, since pure objectivity or state where we'd know all the facts with no room for interpretation are both unattainable concepts. Subjectivity does become an issue however when we start forgetting the facts that are known and replace 'em with our personal opinion. The human race is highly prone of that so I don't really see plenty shame in that. Recalling this fact, one should not get carried away when opinions clash, but it would be a shame to see those known facts swept away to pave a road leading to ignorance.

I don't suppose there is a way to ever make you fully take these things into account the way I do, but at least we can both take solace in the fact that despite disagreeing on the past, we seem to very much be in agreement over what should be done in the future.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Some mod should move this debate to the "history of hockey" -sub section as it's 99,99% off the topic. Mostly irritating to read and be reminded of all the bronze and silver medals anyway.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Some mod should move this debate to the "history of hockey" -sub section as it's 99,99% off the topic. Mostly irritating to read and be reminded of all the bronze and silver medals anyway.
If the point of this thread was simply to gloat about the upcoming classes of players, the remaining portion might as well be combined with the "top prospects" thread. However, there are additional factors to bringing in a true golden age than simply player production. If those issues are considered, current discussion is very much relevant. See, player production is just one side of the coin. The other is player selection.

That being said, I guess we got a bit carried away. Sorry 'bout the walls of text.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Unfortunately non of them reached their first round potential. Neither did Ruutu, Pitkänen, Bergenheim and Rita..

I would argue that Ruutu and Pitkänen did reach 1st round potential for a while, but injuries have seriously hampered both of them. I guess if you take their exact draft positions into account you can still consider them as busts, but still hardly comparable to Jani Rita.

Pitkänen is most likely done for good and I don't see Tuomo lasting very long. I'd say his odds of being on the World Cup team in 2016 are about 50/50 now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad