The golden age of Finnish hockey.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
I'm wondering about the structure of the Finnish junior leagues. I don't speak Finnish, but can still navigate tilastopalvelu.fi.

I've noticed that the schedules for Nuorten SM-Liiga and B Nuorten SM-Sarja are currently at the alkusarja stage(google translates this as first stage) and that the schedules only go until mid-December. What happens after that? Do the teams get divided into upper and lower groups based on the standings and only play within those groups like what traditionally happens with C-juniors?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Any of these forwards have some upside? all are under 6 feet.

Aarne Intonen
Rasmus Lahnaviik
Patrik Puistola
Mikko Petman
Veeti Miettinen
Arttu Tuomaala
Aku Räty

I propably like Miettinen most of the bunch has good speed and hands to go with it.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the public measurements, some of them are outdated, few of them may be a bit generous, and most of these players are probably still growing.

I like the top centre forwards in this age group; Nikkanen-Saarela-Lundell. There's also good competition for roster spots on the wing, so I imagine this could eventually bring some results.

Miettinen is gifted, but the downside is that he looks even smaller than Aaltonen.

I've noticed that the schedules for Nuorten SM-Liiga and B Nuorten SM-Sarja are currently at the alkusarja stage(google translates this as first stage) and that the schedules only go until mid-December. What happens after that? Do the teams get divided into upper and lower groups based on the standings and only play within those groups like what traditionally happens with C-juniors?
Yes.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Are we still flying this meme, "The Golden Age of Finnish Hockey"? As if the obviously vastly improved junior development wasn't negated by the IOC vs NHL catfight thing. Hockey where? Needs to have an improbable cat on the front of the jersey to count for real.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
But it s senseless when the Top 10 or 15 Finns don t won t to play for Leijonat! More Finnish Stars in NHL and more affectations.

Reactions: Ruudukkopupuset

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
But it s senseless when the Top 10 or 15 Finns don t won t to play for Leijonat! More Finnish Stars in NHL and more affectations.

It would be a fitting to the tale of hubris, the overexuberant pride that poisons Finnish ice hockey which was sold to oligarchs (retailers and car dealers) in the new millenium with no one defending other values than the commercial ones. Cry from the long joy.

Reactions: Ducks76

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Well, i'd call this a golden age at least for junior hockey, how many medals we have in the last 5 years? 2 silver & 2 gold in the u18's and 2 golds at the u 20's.

These late 90's/ early 00's generations are the real deal.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Mi.Granlund
Laine
Rantanen
Vatanen
Ristolainen
Koskinen
Jokiharju

A tribute to other thinker.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Was thinking about young players that I believe can play Center at NHL level now and future. Are these projections accurate in peoples oppinion

1. Aleksander Barkov 1C
2. Sebastian Aho 1C
3. Anton Lundell 1C
4. Aatu Räty 1-2C
5. Jesperi Kotkaniemi 1-2C
6. Henrik Borgström 1-2C
7. Henri Nikkanen 2C
8. Rasmus Kupari 2C
9. Erik Haula 2-3C
10. Antti Saarela 2-3C
11. Roope Hintz 3C
12. Janne Kuokkanen 3C
13. Eetu Luostarinen 3C
14. Antti Suomela 3C
15. Aapeli Räsänen 3-4C
16. Miro Aaltonen 4C
17. Santeri Virtanen 4C
18. Joona Koppanen 4C
19. Kalle Kossila 4C

I dont see Aleksi Heponiemi, Aleksi Saarela, Aarne Talvitie, Joni Ikonen, Mikael Granlund, Markus Granlund, Teuvo Teräväinen among others playing C at NHL level.

Reactions: Exarz and Koijari

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->