Speculation: The Goalie Speculation Thread - Why Do Skaters Get All The Love?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I should be more clear, as I certainly like Raanta better than Lehner: I think Lehner has been better than Talbot since the trades - which is why I noted acquisition cost. Perhaps I'm just jaded since Cam Talbot turns into the ghost of Jocelyn Thibault seemingly every time the Sabres play the Oilers.

In any event, I don't expect Lehner back next year. I simply hope that we do not trade 32 for Grubauer.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not with Lehner and without Bylsma's system unless we get all new goalies which means Lehner out, 1A in and Ullmark 1B and our defense actually plays defense unless Housley goes full Bylsma and keeps it a grindy game keeping shots to the outside.

For all the warts and **** Bylsma faced here, he at least played to this teams strengths at the time rather than Housley trying to install a system that doesn't have the players to support it. The goalies I am sure were appreciative of it, I can understand why the players hated it.

My likely goalie tandem next year is Ullmark with TBD.

The only TBD that I could see really improving things would be a blockbuster goalie trade and I am not expecting that to happen.

I am expecting a UFA like Bernier or Lehtonen or Ward or someone of that ilk or they trade for a backup with potential like Grubauer.

I am not expecting a huge uptick in goalie performance with Ullmark and a guy like Bernier under Housley.

Well, unless GMJB is able to make a handful of upgrades to the roster in front of the goalies and they are a lot better defensively next season.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
My likely goalie tandem next year is Ullmark with TBD.

The only TBD that I could see really improving things would be a blockbuster goalie trade and I am not expecting that to happen.

I am expecting a UFA like Bernier or Lehtonen or Ward or someone of that ilk or they trade for a backup with potential like Grubauer.

I am not expecting a huge uptick in goalie performance with Ullmark and a guy like Bernier under Housley.

Well, unless GMJB is able to make a handful of upgrades to the roster in front of the goalies and they are a lot better defensively next season.
Neither am I but what about Rinne for next year? he is signed for one more season and Nashville may want to go with Suros.

One can dream lol

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Neither am I but what about Rinne for next year? he is signed for one more season and Nashville may want to go with Suros.

One can dream lol

Rinne isn't getting dealt. With one year left on his deal and a M-NTC, he isn't headed here.

I think the likeliest crazy goalie scenario would be a guy like Holtby who doesn't have the greatest conditions to his M-NTC.

Quick is the the biggest name goalie that is signed long term without some sort of NMC or NTC protection.

But, I really can't see the Kings moving on to a combo of Campbell and Petersen this offseason unless they decide to blow the whole thing up.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Anyone suspect Andrew Allen is part of the problem? He doesn't seem to be a goalie whisper like Corsi, Korn, or Irbe.
Our goalie prospects decided to go elsewhere, despite us having no clear starter in our system. Have to think that reflects on the goalie coaches somewhat.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He doesn't have much experience at the NHL level. It's all been with the Sabres. He joined the team in 2015, so it's been losing experience. The Sabres are in no position to be developing coaching talent. It's like 3rd graders trying to train a kindergarten class how to spell.
Goaltending Coaches Index | Coaches

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Anyone suspect Andrew Allen is part of the problem? He doesn't seem to be a goalie whisper like Corsi, Korn, or Irbe.

I'm not a fan. But, that is my biased take as his job prior to the Blackhawks was with SLU.

:sarcasm:

It is hard to tell whether it is Allen or not because he doesn't have a huge resume and this was his first NHL job.

When is Ben Vanderklok's contract with the Preds up?

Reactions: Chainshot

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

The narrative before the season was that Allen was an asset. Johnson had a good year in 2015-16 and decided to come back, in no small part, due to Allen. Nilsson seemed to really like him. One bad season and Cal Pete going elsewhere seems to have tarnished him.

I'd give him another season. I don't see a reason to move on just yet.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
My wishlist in this order considering potential contract situation:
-Bernier
-Grubauer
-Holtby
-Sparks/Pickard
-Hutton
everyone else

Lehner

The Chad

Im fine with trading 32 for either Grubauer or Holtby.

Reactions: oldgoalie

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
What do people think about Kinkaid? 1 year to UFA, had a good run before losing the crease back to Schneider in the playoffs. NJ might consider moving him since Schneider is locked in long-term to a deal they probably can't move, though they might like keeping Kinkaid around as cheap insurance.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'll stick to my original off the wall idea of prying MacKenzie blackwood out of NJ somehow. Cody is there long term and kinkaid has them handcuffed into keeping him around. Let blackwood and ullmark battle it out 50/50 ish. Or have both and sign a vet until they are both ready...whatever.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So now we are going from Lehner to Kinkaid and Hutton. Are we trying to make our team actually worse or something? I am by no means a Lehner supporter but even hes not worse than Kinkaid and Hutton. We need to be solid in goal if we eant to have a shot at a meaningful season and neither of these 2 screams stability or certainty to me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Parsing this out of the roster daydream mega-uber-ultra thread... thoughts on Craig Anderson? Maybe someone's already brought him up, but if Buffalo is looking to tick some boxes on an experienced veteran netminder who they can work for a few seasons at a reasonable cap figure... he fills that. He has a 10-team no-trade and is in the 35+ area and had a sub-.900 save percentage this year. I'm not sure how much of that is him breaking down or just how bad the Sens were overall.

Or is that him signing a new 2-year deal with the Sens to stay put and this is just silly? Probably just silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad