Speculation: The Goalie Speculation Thread - Why Do Skaters Get All The Love?

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Kick the tires in Chicago.....see if we can trade for Crawford. He's not the best but bringing in a multiple Cup winner like him would be huge. Maybe they'd be up for a cost cutting move. Maybe we can use lehner's RFA status as a chip.

Crawford is signed for 2 more years at $6 mile per. Maybe Lehner's camp will see a 1 year contract with a proven winner like Chicago as a god send, and cut their goalie costs in half. Chicago justmissed the playoffs, so they might be in for a mini retool.....

Lehner's rights, 19 3rd and one of the triplets????
I always thought Crawford was overpaid, but this team can handle that kind of cap for 2 years. Good idea, but I don't think Chicago would give him up that cheap unless they're committing to a roster overhaul. They should be, but the jury is still out whether they will.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I always thought Crawford was overpaid, but this team can handle that kind of cap for 2 years. Good idea, but I don't think Chicago would give him up that cheap unless they're committing to a roster overhaul. They should be, but the jury is still out whether they will.
Giving up star players cheap is kinda their thing down there in Cap Hell.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Bowman said at the end of the season that they are committed to more runs with that group. They view Crwford's injury as the big reason they faltered.

I would really like that move to bring in a Crawford but I don't see it.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Seeing as how Chicago is placing a lot of the blame for missing the playoffs on Crawford's injury, I can almost guarantee that they're not moving Crawford. And if they did, the price tag would be large and would be centered on cost-controlled assets and not Lehner. If Buffalo wants Crawford, they probably have to start with 32nd overall and Ullmark, and add talent from there.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm thinking Bernier. He didn't take over the number one job in Toronto like they had hoped but he had stretches in both Anaheim and Colorado where he was brilliant. He got good coaching in both places as well. He wouldn't cost too much on a two year deal if he'd come. His wife is a model and they're both from Quebec so this would bring them closer to home. Plus, he has a Cup ring and he also fought Ryan Miller once so there's that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thoughts on Jacob Markstrom? Seems like the sort of mid-level starter who could be moved, especially if the Canucks are going with Demko as the future.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Thoughts on Jacob Markstrom? Seems like the sort of mid-level starter who could be moved, especially if the Canucks are going with Demko as the future.

I would kick the tires there.

But, I still think their plan is to keep Markstrom and Nilsson this year and then go with Demko and Markstrom in 2019-20 when Nilsson's contract is up.

They could give Demko two years as a backup with Markstrom like they gave Markstrom before he became their #1 this past season.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I honestly don’t know how to play out this situation. I’d like an established veteran starter whose on the back 9 of his career to gap ullmark’s growing pains.

My illogical heart keeps crying out for Ryan Miller.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Ryan Miller at 37 is a clear upgrade over Robin Lehner, and probably would be a good guy to split with Linus Ullmark. I'd be completely content with that duo next season.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Vegas goalie coach Dave Prior explains 'old school' approach - InGoal Magazine

This is a really interesting interview with VGK's goalie coach Dave Prior.

He likes goalies that will wait on situations a lot longer than drop and block goalies are taught to play.

He also says he was surprised by Dansk and that he usually doesn't like Swedish goalies because they are too passive coming from the bigger ice surface.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Vegas goalie coach Dave Prior explains 'old school' approach - InGoal Magazine

This is a really interesting interview with VGK's goalie coach Dave Prior.

He likes goalies that will wait on situations a lot longer than drop and block goalies are taught to play.

He also says he was surprised by Dansk and that he usually doesn't like Swedish goalies because they are too passive coming from the bigger ice surface.

Have you seen much in the conversation between the forms being taught systematically in North America vs. the athleticism of the Swedes, Finns, Russians? That the development systems in Canada and the US are crushing reaction out of NA trained kids?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Have you seen much in the conversation between the forms being taught systematically in North America vs. the athleticism of the Swedes, Finns, Russians? That the development systems in Canada and the US are crushing reaction out of NA trained kids?

I believe it is the Allaire method and Patrick Roy effect.

Others built on that base and the drop and block method exploded as it relied more on size and equipment and less on athletic ability.

You can make a lot of money coaching a style that isn't dependent on the student's natural athletic ability.

You don't have the same systems and mindsets in Europe.

Also, with the bigger ice in Europe, it is harder to play a drop and block style. You need to play deeper in your crease and be solid side to side.

Reactions: Chainshot

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Team needs 2 moves. Someone to split with ullmark and someone to man rochester. This is gonna be an interesting offseason.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Would definitely like to see a European FA brought in to fill one of those holes

I still want to pry blackwood from NJ. Maybe in a bigger deal for a guy like severson too idk. Smaller deal works. Guy who can handle a duties in the ahl and maybe still push ullmark too. They have kinkaid and scheider...

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I still want to pry blackwood from NJ. Maybe in a bigger deal for a guy like severson too idk. Smaller deal works. Guy who can handle a duties in the ahl and maybe still push ullmark too. They have kinkaid and scheider...
If his role is to start in the AHL and we bring in another guy for the show then I’d be open to a dice roll like that. Another guy I wouldn’t mind swinging on would be Jack Campbell

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If his role is to start in the AHL and we bring in another guy for the show then I’d be open to a dice roll like that. Another guy I wouldn’t mind swinging on would be Jack Campbell

Having seen jack's lows I'm hesitant on that one bUT he's the kinda guy former high pedigree that I'd look into.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I like the idea of Bernier on a short term deal.
Either he or Ward would be my first two targets of free agency - both are at the point of their careers where they can accept a backup role to begin with but have proven experience as a starter where they could step in if Ullmark struggles. I'd lean more to Ward only because of his Cup experience as a positive locker room influence.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Either he or Ward would be my first two targets of free agency - both are at the point of their careers where they can accept a backup role to begin with but have proven experience as a starter where they could step in if Ullmark struggles. I'd lean more to Ward only because of his Cup experience as a positive locker room influence.
Ward has been pretty terrible for a while now though, and his cup pedigree didn't seem to do much in Carolina.

Bernier is a better option IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad