Speculation: The Goalie Speculation Thread - Why Do Skaters Get All The Love?

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I wouldn't want Ward for any reason, he was done before they resigned him for the last 2 years. Bernier has pretty much only been a backup outside his 2 years with the Leafs so seems pretty questionable to think he can realistically handle more than that. For whatever reason I picture Ullmark not playing a massive amount, which is what they should plan for even if he takes the job and runs with it.

Honestly a group of goalie UFAs/possible trade RFAs that likely don't move the quality needle/crapshoot needle much from Lehner at a similar cost and term. Be an interesting choice on Botts part.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ward has been pretty terrible for a while now though, and his cup pedigree didn't seem to do much in Carolina.

Bernier is a better option IMO.
Article about the decline of Cam Ward
The Curious Case of Cam Ward | Canes & Coffee

Every single one of Cam’s all-star caliber seasons was played under Tom Barrasso as the goaltending coach. Barrasso left in 2011. Interesting coincidence.
I wonder if Barrasso would be interested in reuniting with Housley? At the very least he could beat the crap out of him.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I think he's quite happy developing in Southern California. I also don't see much of a difference between him and Ullmark.
Cal was better in the playofffs, but in the season Ullmark had better numbers while playing 3 more games (.922 vs .910). Admittedly he's a bit older (turns 25 next month) and he slowed down as the year went on, but my gut feel is that Botts likes Linus and wants to see what we have before making any big moves there. I expect they will go the route of finding a cheap guy that they like (Hutton, Bernier, maybe someone else's backup for a 5th that we havent thought of) rather than giving up any real assets. Now, if we can swing a 1B type goalie as part of a larger trade that would be another good option. Going to be a truly fascinating offseason, a month from now we are going to have a lot of stuff to talk (argue) about.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Hutton and Bernier make too much sense. Ullmark needs a mentor as much as he needs competition.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Hutton and Bernier make too much sense. Ullmark needs a mentor as much as he needs competition.

Bernier makes too much sense... he's started 37-38 games each of the last 3 years. And before that had two 55+ start seasons. That's the kind of experience we need. We haven't had an experienced starter since Miller.

Bernier is also 30, and thus still in those quality starter years.

Hutton is a little different. I'd consider him the fallback option. Fewer starts. Never really was "the guy". More of a backup, on great defensive teams.

St Louis goalies havent had much success leaving St louis.... he'll also be 33 next season.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Bernier makes too much sense... he's started 37-38 games each of the last 3 years. And before that had two 55+ start seasons. That's the kind of experience we need. We haven't had an experienced starter since Miller.

Bernier is also 30, and thus still in those quality starter years.

Hutton is a little different. I'd consider him the fallback option. Fewer starts. Never really was "the guy". More of a backup, on great defensive teams.

St Louis goalies havent had much success leaving St louis.... he'll also be 33 next season.
I personally think Hutton is the better goalie, I have seen what Bernier looks like when he is a starter, and I'd pass. Again just personal preference.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I personally think Hutton is the better goalie, I have seen what Bernier looks like when he is a starter, and I'd pass. Again just personal preference.

Replace Hutton with Elliot, and tell me why wouldn't be getting the same results Calgary got after buying in to Elliot's St Louis numbers....

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Replace Hutton with Elliot, and tell me why wouldn't be getting the same results Calgary got after buying in to Elliot's St Louis numbers....
Elliot is an extremely momentous goalie, extreme highs and extreme lows, never liked the swings.

In my opinion, Hutton out played Allen, but again it is the St. Louis system. Everyone Shines there.

You could be right. I would just personally rather have Hutton.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I'd take Bernier between him and Hutton. He could be the 1A to Ullmarks 1B for the start and figure it out from then on. If they want to insure themselves, trade for Grubi at the draft but I think for that the 32OA has to be in play in some form.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd take Bernier between him and Hutton. He could be the 1A to Ullmarks 1B for the start and figure it out from then on. If they want to insure themselves, trade for Grubi at the draft but I think for that the 32OA has to be in play in some form.

Do not trade high value assets for an unproven starter... no need to repeat that mistake

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Sign anybody for cheap because there will be guys on waivers with more potential than these career sieves.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

The team that acquires Grubauer is doing so with the expectation that he's going to be the unquestioned #1. The acquisition cost will be high, and then the acquiring team will have to negotiate his contract. I doubt he's being added, at what he'd cost, to compete with another young goaltender for the starting job.

If, for some reason, Buffalo did acquire Grubauer, then that's a tell concerning how highly they think of Ullmark - i.e., not highly at all.

Example? Who so good is projected to be on waivers???

Weren't you Cal Pickard's #1 fan last summer?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
The team that acquires Grubauer is doing so with the expectation that he's going to be the unquestioned #1. The acquisition cost will be high, and then the acquiring team will have to negotiate his contract. I doubt he's being added, at what he'd cost, to compete with another young goaltender for the starting job.

If, for some reason, Buffalo did acquire Grubauer, then that's a tell concerning how highly they think of Ullmark - i.e., not highly at all.

Weren't you Cal Pickard's #1 fan last summer?
Cal Pickard is as proven as Ullmark at this point. I was an advocate to get him and test what he is last season. If we go with Ullmark and Pickard we have 2 absolute gambles in goal. I am not a fan of this as Id like this team to start winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad