The goalie situation

Which goaltender tandem should Minnesota run next year?

• MAF and UFA/trade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two UFAs/trade acquisitions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
that may well happen , if it does i hope we bring in tarasenko or other talent so kaprizov doesn't get frustrated. with young players kaprizov should understand theres a learning curve.
I wouldn’t mind Tarasenko. I just don’t see it happening.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Wallstedt + #14 to Chicago for #2 (no Celebrini). Who says no?
Me.

So we're giving up on a goaltender that's considered to be a franchise goalie (to be determined), that has been progressing well in the minors and 14 (crap shoot) for #2 which is a slightly less of a crap shoot.

Just seems like poor asset management to me.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Me.

So we're giving up on a goaltender that's considered to be a franchise goalie (to be determined), that has been progressing well in the minors and 14 (crap shoot) for #2 which is a slightly less of a crap shoot.

Just seems like poor asset management to me.
More than "slightly less", historically.

And Wallstedt is ruined by that Dallas game. 0% chance of recovery. Should trade him before the rest of the league finds out.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wallstedt + #14 to Chicago for #2 (no Celebrini). Who says no?

I feel like we have enough evidence that having a high end goalie isn't really all that important to winning a Cup. Teams that have high end goalies still need a high end team in front of him to win. Teams that don't have a high end team in front of a good goalie (Anaheim) don't win. It's risky but the reward (getting a superstar level player) could be worth it.

I think Chicago probably says no before we do.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
More than "slightly less", historically.

And Wallstedt is ruined by that Dallas game. 0% chance of recovery. Should trade him before the rest of the league finds out.
I guess what I meant was that after Celebrini, there's no "sure fire" picks - which is what I would want, or near sure fire, if I were giving up that package.

But you're right. The Dallas game ruined Wallstedt and he's getting shelled in the minors putting up terrible numbers. He probably doesn't even have that much value at this point. Might be able to trade him for some old hot dog water.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I would have needed to see Wallstedt get more starts in the NHL this season (and do well in them). As it stands, Gus and Fleury/free agent signing next season.

If the Wild lose tonight to the Sharks (unlikely as that might be), I wouldn't be surprised if Wallstedt gets called up to start many of the remaining games.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If the Wild lose tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if Wallstedt gets called up to start many of the remaining games.

Not sure that matters, also pretty sure the Wild won't lose tonight anyway.

While not mathematically eliminated, if the Wild go 11-0-0 in these last 11 games, they finish with 99 points. The Knights need 13 points in their last 10 games to tie that and clinch. They've gotten 13 points in their last 10 games.

If the Wild go a more realistic 9-2-0 in the last 11 games, the Knights need 9 points of their last 10, below .500 p%.

If they were going to call Wallstedt up when the Wild are realistically out of this race, he would have been called up by now. I think they're just content with keeping him in Iowa.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Voted flower/wallstedt just bc it seems like the most fun. I like to pretend i know wtf im talking about as much as the next anonymous dude on the internet but with goalies i know i have no clue. Looking at the difference in results between wallstedt and mcintyre in iowa seems like jesper could handle a backup role but idk

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Voted flower/wallstedt just bc it seems like the most fun. I like to pretend i know wtf im talking about as much as the next anonymous dude on the internet but with goalies i know i have no clue. Looking at the difference in results between wallstedt and mcintyre in iowa seems like jesper could handle a backup role but idk
Wait a sec... you don't know what you're talking about?! Going to have to remove Mr. W. Tacos from my dissertation references. Darn you!

I went MAF/Gus

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I guess I lean towards Gus & a F.A. signing. MAF has been serviceable for the mostpart this season. Hard to say what happens next year. But, he's only getting older and the reaction times don't get better with age. Guess I'd prefer he ride off into the sun ahead of the season so the team can get someone to fill about a year gap. That way Wallstedt can cook a little longer and maybe get several call-ups during the season. If the team waits, there likely isn't going to be anything worth a crap to be had that doesn't cost them more than they should be shelling out for.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Gus would've even had a decent year, I'd absolutely go with Gus and Wally. Right now, that prospect makes me pretty nervous.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
If Gus would've even had a decent year, I'd absolutely go with Gus and Wally. Right now, that prospect makes me pretty nervous.
Wally hasn’t been the same since we crushed the ever loving f*** out of his confidence and hung him out to dry.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wally hasn’t been the same since we crushed the ever loving f*** out of his confidence and hung him out to dry.
Sorokin gave up 5 goals in his first NHL game and turned out alright.

If Wallstedt doesn't make it, it'll be his fault, not that game's. It's not like he got pelted with 50+ shots.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Sorokin gave up 5 goals in his first NHL game and turned out alright.

If Wallstedt doesn't make it, it'll be his fault, not that game's. It's not like he got pelted with 50+ shots.
It didn’t need to happen and the result was predictable. That’s my only point

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Have you tried becoming a Yankees/Dodgers/Warriors/Lakers/Chiefs fan :sarcasm:?
Would sooner give up being a sports fan.

It's not my fault that the Wild have cornered the market on mediocrity since were founded. Jacques took them on a wonderful run, once, and Nino's goal gave us some hope for a brief moment...what, ten years ago? Otherwise, not even a glimmer, and next year will be more of the same.

Reactions: BagHead

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Would sooner give up being a sports fan.

It's not my fault that the Wild have cornered the market on mediocrity since were founded. Jacques took them on a wonderful run, once, and Nino's goal gave us some hope for a brief moment...what, ten years ago? Otherwise, not even a glimmer, and next year will be more of the same.
I had to make sure I didn’t hack your account and post under your name!!! Could have sworn that was me that typed that!!

Reactions: 57special

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Now that Wallstedt has erased the stink from his first NHL start, has anyone who thought Wallstedt should be in Iowa next season changed their minds?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Now that Wallstedt has erased the stink from his first NHL start, has anyone who thought Wallstedt should be in Iowa next season changed their minds?
Just as I didn't condemn him for one bad game, I can't anoint him for two good ones. I have the same outlook I've always had on him: he's going to be a starting goalie, and probably a really good one, but I want to make sure he is developed into one before forcing him into the role.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
If Guerin has a player or trade in mind where they need to utilize as much of the cap as possible, then I think they should roll with Gus as the starter & Wallstedt in a backup role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad