The goalie situation

Which goaltender tandem should Minnesota run next year?

• MAF and UFA/trade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two UFAs/trade acquisitions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wouldn't be shocked to see Fleury re-sign for one year, Gus to be traded, and Wall brought up.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I wouldn't be shocked to see Fleury re-sign for one year, Gus to be traded, and Wall brought up.

This is the scenario I'm most intrigued by. I wonder what kind of return Gus could get in a draft day trade?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is the scenario I'm most intrigued by. I wonder what kind of return Gus could get in a draft day trade?
Great question. One hell of a lot less than he would've fetched last summer. I think he has talent, so I'd be tempted to hold on to him unless someone offers us a 1st, and i don't think that's realistic right now.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
We'll probably have the cap space to carry 3 goalies if we want to.
This, I am kind of expecting a platoon system to be most likely, with Gus getting a majority of the starts while Wallstedt and Fleury switch off. This is one of the few scenarios where 3 goalies makes sense to me. Breaking the new guy in while the vet winds down.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
This, I am kind of expecting a platoon system to be most likely, with Gus getting a majority of the starts while Wallstedt and Fleury switch off. This is one of the few scenarios where 3 goalies makes sense to me. Breaking the new guy in while the vet winds down.

As long as Wallstedt gets at least 25-30 starts, I would be ok with this. If not, he would be better off in Iowa, IMO.

Reactions: BagHead

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
On one hand, we know that next year's roster isn't going to be much better. Add in potential injuries, and I'm somewhat concerned about throwing Wally to the Wolves too much. So in that regard, I was questioning if it may be better to keep him in Iowa.

On the other hand, he's gotta get his feet wet sometime. It's not going to be an easy ride. He's gonna have ups and downs just like any other goalie no matter their caliber. Heck, even MAF was sent to the minors after a rough patch early in his career.

Gus was great last year....sucked a lot this year. I was salivating over a Gus/Wallstedt tandem last year, but now there are rumors of moving him. Is it smart to give up on Gus so early considering how depleted our blueline was this season? Don't know.

And then there's the Wild card....Fleury. If he retires, our solution is pretty straight forward. If for some crazy reason he re-signs here another year, then I'd prefer Wally to be around more to be mentored by MAF.

I never supported running 3 guys, but maybe it could work for what feels like a transition kind of season in net. Nothing else we ever do makes sense, so why not create even more chaos?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
On one hand, we know that next year's roster isn't going to be much better. Add in potential injuries, and I'm somewhat concerned about throwing Wally to the Wolves too much. So in that regard, I was questioning if it may be better to keep him in Iowa.

On the other hand, he's gotta get his feet wet sometime. It's not going to be an easy ride. He's gonna have ups and downs just like any other goalie no matter their caliber. Heck, even MAF was sent to the minors after a rough patch early in his career.

Gus was great last year....sucked a lot this year. I was salivating over a Gus/Wallstedt tandem last year, but now there are rumors of moving him. Is it smart to give up on Gus so early considering how depleted our blueline was this season? Don't know.

And then there's the Wild card....Fleury. If he retires, our solution is pretty straight forward. If for some crazy reason he re-signs here another year, then I'd prefer Wally to be around more to be mentored by MAF.

I never supported running 3 guys, but maybe it could work for what feels like a transition kind of season in net. Nothing else we ever do makes sense, so why not create even more chaos?

The problem wasn't with the d-corps. The team d-zone stats are fine 5v5:
xGA: 1st
SCA: 5th
HDCA: 1st
HDGA: 5th
CA: 7th
FA: 7th

The 5v5 goalie stats aren't good:
GA: 16th
HDsv%:19th
sv%: 22nd

The 5v5 o-zone stats are ugly:
SCF: 26th
HDCF: 27th
xGF: 28th
HDGF: 21st
CF: 23rd
FF: 23rd

The PK was near bottom of the league, but there is a lot of blame to share for that between the goalies, d-men, FWDs, and coaches.

The PP was fine. 8th in GF, and I think their xGF is a broken outlier, it's 1st (by a lot).

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
The goaltending was the reason they missed the playoffs, and both goalies played like crap, so how can you justify bringing BOTH of them back?
I don't think Gus brings back anything in a trade, so let Flower walk or retire and bring in Jesper.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The goaltending was the reason they missed the playoffs, and both goalies played like crap, so how can you justify bringing BOTH of them back?
I don't think Gus brings back anything in a trade, so let Flower walk or retire and bring in Jesper.

Goaltending along with practically no offensive help from guys like Gaudreau, MarJo, and the rest of the mess that makes up the bottom six of the lineup.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Goaltending along with practically no offensive help from guys like Gaudreau, MarJo, and the rest of the mess that makes up the bottom six of the lineup.
We can certainly pick forwards (Gaudreau, Johansson) and defensemen (Merrill, Goligoski, Middleton) that stunk, but as a complete unit the goaltending was the worst of the three.

1000008838.jpg

"In 44 games Gustavsson allowed 8.5 goals above expected, Fleury gave up 8.5 himself in 39 games, and for good measure, Jesper Wallstedt was at minus-2.8 himself in just three starts. The final retail price is 20 goals below expected according to Evolving Hockey — and that actually undersells it given their model tends to overshoot how many expected goals there are."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad