The goalie situation

Which goaltender tandem should Minnesota run next year?

• MAF and UFA/trade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two UFAs/trade acquisitions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Without knowing what MAF's contract will be I can't really say.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
One more year of cap hell. I say keep Wally in Iowa one more season as opposed to throwing him in front of a paper thin roster. I can't see our defense getting much better, and we honestly don't know if Spurgeon will even return as the same player.

In my opinion, next season is a throw-a-away season. Unless Billy has plans to have MAF mentor the kid, but I just can't see Fleury wanting to finish here if he still wants to play one more year.

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
My ideal scenario, would be to sign MAF to a 1-yr contract. I can only assume a NMC would be there, but I would like to have Gus prove to us it was an off year, and allow Wally to marinate one more year between IA and MN.

I think the 25-26 season would have Gus and Wally as the duo.

Only suggesting this as we are one more year in cap hell and the contracts to Foligno, Hartman, and Zucc didn't do us any favors.

I'm the biggest proponent of letting the kids play and pull them up ASAP, but MAF is who he is. He's actually having a pretty decent year and if there's an opportunity for him to help mentor the younger players, is worth more than wins and losses if he comes back next year.

Last edited:

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Next year maybe run out the same group but give wally some more action. Going forward I think we are set w gus and wallstedt for a long time.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I wonder how much Gus would be worth as part of a draft day trade? Maybe we sign MAF to a 1 year deal and roll with MAF and Wallstedt next season. We aren't expected to make a run for the Cup anyways.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I wonder how much Gus would be worth as part of a draft day trade? Maybe we sign MAF to a 1 year deal and roll with MAF and Wallstedt next season. We aren't expected to make a run for the Cup anyways.
Russo and LaPanta have been heavily hinting in their podcast that they think Fleury will be re-signed.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
next season being (hopefully) last year of cap h3ll i want the young rookies to have a year of experience so we can "go 4 it" after that. please sign yurov by some miracle!

Outlandish

Apr 15, 2007
Mankato MN
I went with MAF and Wallstedt. Can Gus be used to move up a couple spots in the draft as it seems we're going to end up a couple spots shy of where folks want to be?

I don't actually mind having Gus and MAF next year but if we're hoping to make an impact the year after that it might be nice if Wallstedt had significant NHL time next year. That said, with MAF being old and Gus potentially being unreliable Wallstedt might get a fair few games regardless.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
next season being (hopefully) last year of cap h3ll i want the young rookies to have a year of experience so we can "go 4 it" after that. please sign yurov by some miracle!
What would be really special is if they wait just a little longer than that. I think what I would do is wait for several qualifying events to happen, and then pull the trigger all at once:

1) Wait for the crop of Wallstedt, Yurov, and Ohgren (plus Bankier or whoever comes out of the woodwork) to develop,
2) Sit on your open cap space, using it strategically to re-sign the guys who are young enough to keep (Boldy, Rossi, Faber, Kaprizov), and to take on short-term, cap-dumps for assets.
3) Wait for your biggest cap players who are underperforming due to age to fall off the roster (Foligno... sorry buddy, Spurgeon, etc.)

At that point, you bring in all of the kids full-time who have shown themselves to be ready, and use the massive amount of cap space to sign several UFA's, at least one of which should be as high-end as possible. You throw the bank at that one, a bank which should have coffers overflowing since you didn't waste cap space.

The problem is that all of these don't apply (enough) until 3-4 seasons from now. That probably wouldn't be the case had the team simply not re-signed all those UFA's last year. For the GM and owner pairing who is patient enough to wait through all that, the reward can be high.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
my take is wallstedt is getting shelled in iowa which can't be good for his mental health. if our ahl team was better i think you'd be right.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Russo and LaPanta have been heavily hinting in their podcast that they think Fleury will be re-signed.
that may well happen , if it does i hope we bring in tarasenko or other talent so kaprizov doesn't get frustrated. with young players kaprizov should understand theres a learning curve.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
my take is wallstedt is getting shelled in iowa which can't be good for his mental health. if our ahl team was better i think you'd be right.
It would be one thing if he was getting shelled (which I think is a bit of an overstatement, personally) and posting bad numbers. That’s not happening though. He’s getting “shelled” and putting up average to good numbers.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
If they need the cap, Gus & Wall

If they don't need the cap, I'm fine with Fleury being re-signed on a 1 year deal. I do think they need to get Wallstedt some NHL time though.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If they need the cap, Gus & Wall

If they don't need the cap, I'm fine with Fleury being re-signed on a 1 year deal. I do think they need to get Wallstedt some NHL time though.

Trading Gus would add cap space.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
How do you figure?

Because Gus currently carries a $3.75 million cap hit over the next two seasons. That would open up a few million $$ of cap space right away for next season.

Of course, this is assuming MAF re-signs for the same amount and Wallstedt is called up.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Because Gus currently carries a $3.75 million cap hit over the next two seasons. That would open up a few million $$ of cap space right away for next season.

Of course, this is assuming MAF re-signs for the same amount and Wallstedt is called up.
Oh. Sorry. I misunderstood what you meant, I thought you meant we would have additional money against the cap. My bad. It was a long night.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would have needed to see Wallstedt get more starts in the NHL this season (and do well in them). As it stands, Gus and Fleury/free agent signing next season.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad