The Goalie Dilemma

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Make Varly an offer today, 6 mill for 3 years. If he doesnt take it, we trade him on the last possible day of the deadline, while giving frankie a few games.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I don't want to lose Varlamov, but I also don't want to guess if he'll be healthy at any given time. If Grubauer shows he's the real thing, you gotta make that change and cut Varly loose.
Would be good to have that insurance in the playoffs, though.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I don't think there's a dilemma at all. I think Varlamov is in his final season with the Avs, great season or not, and that next season Grubauer will be given the starters job with Francouz backing him up unless Francouz is able to steal that spot away from him.

Varlamov turns 31 in April and Francouz turns 29 in June I believe, but the difference between the two is that Francouz has played almost 100 less games than Varly since 2012-2013, and we all know about Varly's groin issues.

Love Varlamov, and hope he wins the Vezina this season, but I would not commit long term to a soon-to-be 31 year old with groin/hip issues.

Yeah, I was going to say something like this. What's the dilemma, here?

I also agree with the fact that we don't even have a decision to make until we see how Paul Frank does in the show anyway.

Reactions: Pokecheque

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think there's a real dilemna here if Grubauer struggles at all, Francouz plays reall well, and Varly remains healthy and stays the good version of Varly all season long-especially if he wins us a playoff round.

Then the Avs have a real issue because they'd risk losing a potential starter in Francouz or a legit #1 in Varly, but also they'd be committing to a 30+ goaltender with a bad injury history - one healthy season doesn't guarantee anything for the future.

I think in an ideal world, Grubauer either outplays Varly or plays well enough for the Avs to see him as a legit starter, and Francouz gets some games and shows he's NHL-caliber. Then regardless of how Varly plays, you wish him well and (hopefully) trade his rights to a team in the East. I say that's ideal because I don't want the Avs playoff hopes for the next several years to rest on Varlamov's health. The other potential ideal is Grubauer and Varly continue to fight for the net for the next two years, which would provide great insurance in case either of them goes down to injury - then Francouz probably walks but thems the breaks.

Reactions: Tommy G

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I think there's a real dilemna here if Grubauer struggles at all, Francouz plays reall well, and Varly remains healthy and stays the good version of Varly all season long-especially if he wins us a playoff round.

Then the Avs have a real issue because they'd risk losing a potential starter in Francouz or a legit #1 in Varly, but also they'd be committing to a 30+ goaltender with a bad injury history - one healthy season doesn't guarantee anything for the future.

I think in an ideal world, Grubauer either outplays Varly or plays well enough for the Avs to see him as a legit starter, and Francouz gets some games and shows he's NHL-caliber. Then regardless of how Varly plays, you wish him well and (hopefully) trade his rights to a team in the East. I say that's ideal because I don't want the Avs playoff hopes for the next several years to rest on Varlamov's health. The other potential ideal is Grubauer and Varly continue to fight for the net for the next two years, which would provide great insurance in case either of them goes down to injury - then Francouz probably walks but thems the breaks.
This!!!!

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
For sure, but will he commit to Varly for another long-term contract, which I assume they'll have to do if they want to keep him around. This is with two guys on the roster looking for a larger role than they have right now.

It's tough, because Varly has such high highs in a season, but I think it may come down to if they see the lows this season as well.

Well... aint that the truth.

Also, bumped this too laugh at my prediction earlier :laugh:

Reactions: Perratrooper

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
All this blame on the goalers yet not a word on the goaler coach? I'm not saying he's the problem at all because perhaps our duo just don't have the talent, but considering all the bashing on them and nothing on him is sort of strange. I want to know what peoples' thoughts are concerning him?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
All this blame on the goalers yet not a word on the goaler coach? I'm not saying he's the problem at all because perhaps our duo just don't have the talent, but considering all the bashing on them and nothing on him is sort of strange. I want to know what peoples' thoughts are concerning him?

Varly can take Parkkila with him when the Avs finally cut bait. The only time I've heard his name come up is when Altitude was talking up the fact that he's using some new methods, including putting glasses on them during practices to help them track the puck better in the actual games. I'm no goalie expert but I don't think it's working.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I think me and @Pokecheque are the only two who have brought him up thus far, but it wasn't a long conversation because it's so difficult to really draw any conclusions.

I was kind of wondering if hes better at developing young talent than preparing starters day to day in the NHL. Hes got some strong names on his resume. It's not while at the NHL level though.

While I think bring him up is relevant. It's kind of like yelling into a dark hallway expecting an answer.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Parkkila situation leaves a lot of question marks, especially going into this season. He was brought in at Varlamov's behest. He earned praise from Jon Bernier, and it could be argued that the 10-game win streak that essentially made the playoffs possible last season, was a direct result of their collaboration. Keep in mind Bernier was by no means spectacular, but he was good enough, which is more than we can say about Varlamov and Grubauer at present.

What I wonder is...most of us kinda assumed Parkkila would follow Varlamov out the door...so...was there a contingency/succession plan in place? Were they just gonna ride this season out and if Parkkila worked well with Grubauer, he'd stay? I just don't know. He most assuredly is gone at this point. So my question is...why is there at all? He's obviously not fixing the issue, the goalies have only gotten worse as time has gone on. But if they do fire him...who do they bring in? Filiatrault? Do they bring back Kirk McLean? Try and convince Allaire to come out of retirement? I just don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad