The Goalie Dilemma

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
In the span of one off-season, Sakic has not only fixed the goaltending situation, but made it a position of strength, with a realistic potential of all three of them being solid starters in the NHL. I know it's early in the season, but if the assumption is made and everything continues status quo, what do you think Sakic should do?

Whatever he does, it makes it an amazing opportunity to gain a real nice asset.

It gives us leverage if Varly wants to stay an Avs. If we can get him to take a discount for something like a 4 x 5 mil contract, you do it and see how much you can get for one of Francouz or Grubauer. If he wants market value, you trade him between December - February and go from there.

I'd be happy with a Varly/Francouz combination if it means we can get a mid 1st for Grubauer from a desperate team. There's a lot of bubble teams that have fixed a bunch of holes and there is or will be a glaring weakness in net (Calgary, Philly, St. Louis, Carolina) along with team's that are on the cusp of losing their starter or still be in the mix (Ottawa, New Jersey, NYI, Columbus).

Normally goaltenders don't have that much value, but assuming Bobrovsky is the only solid starter that hits free agency (meaning Varly, Rinne, and Talbot re-sign), it puts us in a really good position to get a nice piece.

Thoughts?

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Last season we ended up with Hammond in goal vs Preds in postseason this is what prompted Sakic to get this kind of goalie depth. We have 2 first round picks, cap space a handful young players fighting for a spot and our best prospect in college we don't need to flip goalie depth for a asset things are looking good, one Varly injury and we need our goalie depth.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There is only a problem if Frank and Varly bail and Grub does not show hes starter level by the end of the year.

Oh.. and we don't have a f***ing ounce of leverage on Varly or Frank. Zero, ziltch, nada. The goalie market currently holds more jobs than there are starter quality goalies in the NHL right now.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I wouldn't want to give Varly 4 year contract, but I guess the way UFA market is, I guess we would have to. Varly doesn't seem like a goalie who would age well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree, and I don't think Sakic has planned on re-signing him, but we'll see how he holds up this year.

Sakic has been player loyal to a fault in the past. We'll see if that remains. There is a lot of nostalgia there for the organization and the fan base.

Even myself, at times, I think it would suck to contend now and see Varly off the team and playing well.

Him EJ, and Landy are the players that dealt with it and never said a word.

Reactions: 5280

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sakic has been player loyal to a fault in the past. We'll see if that remains. There is a lot of nostalgia there for the organization and the fan base.

Even myself, at times, I think it would suck to contend now and see Varly off the team and playing well.

Him EJ, and Landy are the players that dealt with it and never said a word.
For sure, but will he commit to Varly for another long-term contract, which I assume they'll have to do if they want to keep him around. This is with two guys on the roster looking for a larger role than they have right now.

It's tough, because Varly has such high highs in a season, but I think it may come down to if they see the lows this season as well.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
There is only a problem if Frank and Varly bail and Grub does not show hes starter level by the end of the year.

Oh.. and we don't have a ****ing ounce of leverage on Varly or Frank. Zero, ziltch, nada. The goalie market currently holds more jobs than there are starter quality goalies in the NHL right now.

We have leverage if Varlamov wants to re-sign with the Avs, as Sakic can simply give him a take or leave it deal. If he doesn't care about staying, than I agree we have zero leverage.

If all three goaltenders are healthy come the TDL, I really hope we trade the odd-man out.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There is no dilemma. Varly really isn't worth that much unless a contender finds themselves with an injured #1 at the deadline. He's a UFA....if we trade him, he's hitting the market and going to get paid, big.

Grub was brought in and given good money and is not going to be traded. Not sure anyone would take him and his term to provide insurance. That contract basically make him an AV for at least two years. Frank is fascinating....He's doing very well but he's doing it at the AHL level. I don't think he'll bring much value even at the deadline unless he get's some games up in the NHL....even then I doubt he'd get anything worth trading him over until we decide who is #1 next year.

The way I see it, Varly is traded at the deadline or allowed to walk as an UFA next summer or he is resigned and Frank is an UFA next summer. That's the only two options I see available. I think Varly could fetch a better price at the deadline, but if we are headed to the playoffs, I think I'd rather keep him around for the run.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
At some point I think the Avs will call up Francouz for a while, even if both Grubs and Varly stay healthy. They'll carry three goalies for a little while.

They have to give Francouz a taste of NHL action just to get an idea of how he will do in the role. And if they think he's going to do well I suspect around January and February we start looking for suitors for a Varlamov trade.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Haven't watched Francouz for the Eagles yet, but his stats are very good in 4 games played. Near if not the best in AHL so far.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Varly has started the season great, just like Grubs and Frankie have. That said, we know his groin will fall apart mid-season like every year and it will get worse as he ages.

Grubauer isn’t going anywhere, team is committed to him.

Francouz is also a UFA at season’s end, and as I’ve said before, we need to be careful that we aren’t just auditioning him for a payday and job somewhere else.

When Varly inevitably gets injured around January, Frankie will come up and get a good look. That is when it will be decision time.

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
Is it just me but sounds quite weird that some Avs fans, wants to trade a goalie which will be candidate for Vezina trophy, if he continues playing like in the first six games..

Damn, things has to be good in the Avs family if we can do that :D

And these people, are not happy with the current prospect pool and two 1st round picks for next year..
Nooooooo, they wanna change elite goalie for mid 1st round pick..

Now, when dude has the goalie coach which he has always wanted.. (Earlier Avs only had part time coach)
Now, when he is playing in the way we have hoped for..

I just don't get it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think there's a dilemma at all. I think Varlamov is in his final season with the Avs, great season or not, and that next season Grubauer will be given the starters job with Francouz backing him up unless Francouz is able to steal that spot away from him.

Varlamov turns 31 in April and Francouz turns 29 in June I believe, but the difference between the two is that Francouz has played almost 100 less games than Varly since 2012-2013, and we all know about Varly's groin issues.

Love Varlamov, and hope he wins the Vezina this season, but I would not commit long term to a soon-to-be 31 year old with groin/hip issues.

Reactions: 5280

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I’d take this situation over last years every single time.

Let’s see how the next month or two playoff before we talk about trading any of the three. It’s not like either Varly or Frank have much value anyways since they are UFA bound.

Reactions: McMetal

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
The way I see it, it all depends on if Varly gets hurt again this season. If he does, it's obvious he just can't stay healthy and will carry these problems for the rest of his career. I think you let him go or trade him at the deadline.

Now, who knows, maybe the last string of surgeries finally did the trick and he's found a long-term solution to his groin problems. Then we go from there.

Definitely an interesting situation. The thought of letting any of the three go just to have one become elite is discomforting though.

Reactions: MarkT

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Varly is close to--if not, number 1 in the league right now. We have solid depth. The Avs aren't anywhere near the cap, and we should sign him to a fair contract.

I also think we do have a bit of leverage over Varly. I'm sure as hell that he wants to be a part of this team now that it's looking a lot better. He's going to want to be a part of the playoff runs. He's 31, and lots of goalies play well past 35.

5.5m x 4 and I'm happy.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Varly is close to--if not, number 1 in the league right now. We have solid depth. The Avs aren't anywhere near the cap, and we should sign him to a fair contract.

I also think we do have a bit of leverage over Varly. I'm sure as hell that he wants to be a part of this team now that it's looking a lot better. He's going to want to be a part of the playoff runs. He's 31, and lots of goalies play well past 35.

5.5m x 4 and I'm happy.
I agree hopefully limiting his playing time will prevent the groin issues. He's # 1 in save % . And not to nit pick but he is only 30 . Don't think 5.5 mil would be enough though .

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Guaranteed someone will step up and Varly will get his $$$$, a number of teams will be desperate to lock down a dependable veteran netminder this offseason.

I think Varly is gone one way or another, even if he plays insanely well. Avs already appear to have a succession plan in place.

My question will be, if Varly does indeed leave, does Parkkila stay?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad