Post-Game Talk: The Gimmick Sucks (Your 3 Stars of the Game, though)

The Gimmick Sucks (Your 3 Stars of the Game, though)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
i agree that it’s not ideal, but it’s certainly not as bad as it’s being characterized. especially when you draft well and have a guy like mercer who can move up as needed.

The Bruins top line is massively underpaid and using them as a benchmark for anything makes no sense. McAvoy goes to $9.5 million next season, so the idea that Bergeron's salary puts any kind of cap other players is clearly not the case. Colorado had no problem paying Rantanen more than MacKinnon.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
When you draft well you have guys like Mercer who can move up to fill in for the guys that didn't fulfil their draft selections?

This is a twisted way to look at things..."When you draft well"....Your 18th overall becomes better than #1 overall? This is a head scratcher to me.

you've got to stop thinking about this in terms of individual draft positions lol. when reid boucher flamed out in spectacular fashion, we were f***ed because we had nobody in the pipeline. now, when nico is "disappointing" we have other guys we can lean on. that's the whole point. this is not as dire as you're making it out to be.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
When you draft well you have guys like Mercer who can move up to fill in for the guys that didn't fulfil their draft selections?

This is a twisted way to look at things..."When you draft well"....Your 18th overall becomes better than #1 overall? This is a head scratcher to me.

So did Detroit draft poorly when their 6th and 7th round picks Datsyuk and Zetterberg were their best players? Trying to understand the thinking here.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I think the one issue that people are going to have with your argument is that we saw the same thing last year with guys like Jack Hughes, where his underlying numbers were ridiculously good and everyone kept waiting and waiting for the points to supplement those underlying numbers and they just never came. Now, we are seeing the same thing so far this year with Hischier. His underlying numbers are great, but the points aren't coming. They didn't come last year for Hughes, so why would they come this year for Hischier, is I think what a lot of people are getting at. Like you said, in all likelihood, points should come, but we have already experienced players where the points just don't come even with the underlying numbers looking great, so for a lot of people, it's tough to hold confidence in these underlying numbers when more often then not for us, they don't translate to points, for whatever reason that may be even though it shouldn't necessarily be the case.

I would also like to add one thing to this point. Hughes, at least through the eye test, looked fantastic while putting up those crazy underlying numbers. I think we can both agree that Hischier does not look nearly as good as Hughes did last year while putting up these numbers. At least with Hughes, you could see him before your eyes playing great and that great play just not translating. I personally am not getting those same vibes from Hischier. Like Lindy Ruff said earlier in the year, he will always look at the advanced stats in a meaningful way unless your play on the ice isn't backing it up (I believe this was in regards to good advanced stats for Bratt and Sharangovich for a game they both played terribly during). For Hughes, the advanced stats last year backed up what we were all witnessing on the ice. For Hischier, I am just not seeing the same level of play that will be capable of sustaining this high level of offense generation.

I agree with your point that in all likelihood, Nico should start producing more points with the numbers he has and probably should have had more points over the past 7 games given his great numbers. But, through the eye test, it's tough to tell whether he can maintain it, and even if he does maintain it, we have seen players, like Jack Hughes last year, maintain great numbers only to amount to not a whole lot of points.

Dropping the mic with this post.

Great, great post!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So did Detroit draft poorly when their 6th and 7th round picks Datsyuk and Zetterberg were their best players? Trying to understand the thinking here.

Yes they drafted very poorly..Are you kidding me? This is crap. Scott Gomez was taken two spots after Jiri Fischer.

1998 Entry251Jiri FischerDHull Olympiques [QMJHL]305114960295
1998 Entry552Ryan BarnesLSudbury Wolves [OHL]20000
1998 Entry562Tomek ValtonenLIlves Tampere [SM-liiga]
1998 Entry843Jake McCrackenGSoo Greyhounds [OHL]
1998 Entry1114Brent HobdayLMoose Jaw Warriors [WHL]
1998 Entry1425Carl SteenC
1998 Entry1516Adam DeLeeuwLBarrie Colts [OHL]
1998 Entry1716Pavel DatsyukCDynamo-Energiya (Russia)953314604918228
1998 Entry1987Jeremy GoetzingerDPrince Albert Raiders [WHL]
1998 Entry2268David PetrasekDHV71 Jonkoping [SEL]
1998 Entry2569Petja PietilainenRSaskatoon Blades [WHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
As opposed to New Jersey who drafted later and significantly better.

1998 Entry261Mike Van RynDU. of Michigan [CCHA]3533099129260
1998 Entry271Scott GomezCTri-City Americans [WHL]1079181575756655
1998 Entry372Christian BerglundLFarjestads BK Karlstad [SEL]8611162742
1998 Entry823Brian GiontaRBoston College [H-East]1026291304595377
1998 Entry964Mikko JokelaDHIFK Helsinki [SM-liiga]10000
1998 Entry1054Pierre DagenaisLRouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL]14235235858
1998 Entry1195Anton ButLTorpedo-2 Yaroslavl (Russia)
1998 Entry1435Ryan FlinnLLaval Titan College Francais [QMJHL]3110184
1998 Entry1726Jacques LariviereLMoncton Wildcats [QMJHL]
1998 Entry1997Erik JensenWDes Moines Buccaneers [USHL]
1998 Entry2278Marko AhosiltaFKalPa Kuopio [SM-liiga]
1998 Entry2579Ryan HeldWKitchener Rangers [OHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This notion that Pavel Zacha might actually be useful is not settling in for some. The fact that he has been our best forward, taking out Hughes from this equation, is nerve wracking for many who still view him as a potential flop.

The bottom line is that Pavel Zacha has been our best forward for what is now a year and several weeks now and that’s perfect because he’s actually living up to the hype of his draft status whereas some have regressed and admitting that the tables have turned would be declaring defeat.
if he was freed from nico, he would win the rocket, the art ross and the hart. it's a fact. :sarcasm:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The scenario's you pose seem, to me anyway, trapped between two different worlds....A world were the Team is first and the individual is non-existent. And world were Super Star rule the roost and play 19 to 20 minutes and individuals get all the focus....The Team first/no individuals has been dead in New Jersey for a very long time.

EDIT:

Get this: When Patrik Elias scored 96 points in 2001 he averaged 18:44 of Ice time...When Zach Parise had 94 points in 2009 he averaged 18:45 of ice time.... Nico is averaging 19:56 today and producing at 1/2 point per game.

I may not be clear about my point. I'm not posing some sort of extreme example as proof of reality. It's just a hypothetical. In reality I think that the takeaway is wins and losses. If a player scores well but ultimately the other team scores more against when he plays they are not going to win games. Conversely if a player is on ice for more goals in favor than against -even if both numbers are deflated - the team has better success.

I want Zacha to keep scoring and Nico hopefully has better offensive success. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't, but the team is significantly better than last season and that's a good start. If they can do well against the teams from the middle of the pack and lower and figure out a way to play respectably against the league's better teams even if they will lose most of those it would be tremendous improvement over last season. I'm old enough to think that defense and goaltending matter and if you do well to force the other team to score less goals you can get away with fewer yourself.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
“everyone kept waiting and waiting for the points to supplement those underlying numbers and they just never came” is just so ridiculous. Jack has played 119 career games. He didn’t even have great underlying numbers as a rookie and his scoring did tick up in year 2 along with his underlying numbers.

And Jack’s player profile is totally different than Nico’s. His ridiculous transition ability is pretty easy to project will translate to the scoresheet. The absolute dogshit PP was the main reason for the unimpressive point totals which has nothing to do with what he was able to do at 5 on 5.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I may not be clear about my point. I'm not posing some sort of extreme example as proof of reality. It's just a hypothetical. In reality I think that the takeaway is wins and losses. If a player scores well but ultimately the other team scores more against when he plays they are not going to win games. Conversely if a player is on ice for more goals in favor than against -even if both numbers are deflated - the team has better success.

I want Zacha to keep scoring and Nico hopefully has better offensive success. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't, but the team is significantly better than last season and that's a good start. If they can do well against the teams from the middle of the pack and lower and figure out a way to play respectably against the league's better teams even if they will lose most of those it would be tremendous improvement over last season. I'm old enough to think that defense and goaltending matter and if you do well to force the other team to score less goals you can get away with fewer yourself.

It still seems two very different topics. "Win/losses" - Yes!

But how are you going to craft a team to get those wins...Before Fitzgerald Defense and Goaltending were very much an afterthought and we put all our eggs in the Superstar Center basket. Those eggs haven't hatched...One egg is 5 years old now the other very early in its 3rd year...We have gotten a lot of nothing for the amount of capital we put in those baskets. Now with all our eggs in a SuperStar Center basket you want to talk about balance and defense? It seems like a misdirection to justify the futility of those two eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad