GDT: The Game's in an Hour, So... - Carolina@Boston

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
there has been some good play from some of the young guys that will never be sustained and cannot carry the team (complimentary yes). no one is really "going" even close to being competitive. (Ward's playing well and if not for him these games would have likely been more lopsided.) the play has been very lopsided the last few. they have been dominated and can't get anything going at all, hence the perimeter low quality chances, if any at all. zone entries have resorted to dump and chase and controlled entry has been dismal. the PP has fizzled out. PK continues to be alright.

if teams squeeze and push an aggressive fore check, they have trouble in their end and with break outs. neutral zone is being taken away and there is no creative (or otherwise) offensive.

accountability and cracking the whip, insisting that the guys hustle sounds nice, can be effective, but alone it doesn't get the job done without systems that work. changing up lines hoping, can't replace sound productive hockey systems alone.

everyone including the coaching staff (and make no mistake, for all the fancy talk and pumping by the media, they are rookies behind the bench yet) is struggling to find something and as usual, it's not all on the players IMO. if they all don't figure it out soon, what you are seeing is what will continue to be. hopefully Peters and the rest of the suits can adapt in more ways than just merely changing up the lines and hoping for the best.

for whatever reason they are not enabling offensive opportunity, getting the best from the players, and I've always been of he belief that players tend to do exactly what the coach asks regardless of what our game crew likes to portray.

it is still early but time is ticking now. honeymoon is over. time to see what they all have soon.

Last edited:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'm on board with Staal fighting an injury. He came out hard in that first period, then dropped off completely. You can say that about the whole team, but he looked to be leadershipping in the first.

Not really sure where the Ward criticism is coming from. He did fight it a bit a couple of times (which led to 0 chances), but he also made some very important saves. That 2nd goal I'm putting entirely on him, though. There is zero reason for him to not be on that post.

I also don't understand how we NEVER HAVE ANYONE IN THE SLOT. Rask is good, but he's not good enough to recognize that we never had anyone directly in front of him and punting every rebound there, despite Tripps fawning over his control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad