GDT: the game of destiny - canitals vs hurricaps

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
If you would have told me in 2008 that in 2016 the Capitals still haven't been past round 2 of the playoffs I would have asked you for whatever it was you were smoking.

Even with their playoff struggles, all it takes is lightning in a bottle. It's a hell of a lot better than sitting at home every April and May wondering when our team is going to get there.

Meh. If the 2015 Capitals couldnt do it, they never will. Im confidant about that.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
You folks need to stop thinking this team can make the playoffs. They would need to play at 110 point pace the rest of the way. They are a good/decent team, but 110 point pace is a great team. This is not that type of team.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Can't say we really pissed away a point this game, it was a very equal game. The boys played super hard. The tying goal was off a flukey deflection that you just don't stop most of the time. Unfortunately we still gotta figure out how to win in extra time/shootout.

Have to agree, it was a hard-fought game, and they didn't really "blow the lead" so to speak, they played their game and overall played a really good 60 minutes against a really good team. OTL's are frustrating when you play that well, but it's better than playing like crap and losing 5-1 in regulation.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
You folks need to stop thinking this team can make the playoffs. They would need to play at 110 point pace the rest of the way. They are a good/decent team, but 110 point pace is a great team. This is not that type of team.

I don't think they can make the playoffs, that doesn't mean they aren't good/fun/enjoyable to watch. Hell if they were in the Central or Atlantic they'd be like 4th in the division.

This team continues to show that they can play with anybody. What more can you ask, really.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I am very confident one of Columbus/Washington/Philadelphia is going to start to cool off pretty soon. I just would hate to see that happen and our team not gain enough ground to overtake them because we missed out on valuable points.

That's my frustration FWIW.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I know they lost but I'm continually impressed by this team that is ~$15M below the cap ceiling. $15M! It's yet to be seen if Peters system will get them into the playoffs, but you can't ignore a #1 PK, and 6th ranked PP. That's special teams elite status.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I am very confident one of Columbus/Washington/Philadelphia is going to start to cool off pretty soon. I just would hate to see that happen and our team not gain enough ground to overtake them because we missed out on valuable points.

That's my frustration FWIW.

Cooling off won't help. They'd have to play like a bottom 10 team in the entire league the rest of the way just to fall to 94 points. On the flipside, the Canes would have to play like a top 10 team in the league and win at a 100 point pace the rest of the way just to achieve 94 points.

I have a hard time putting this in the bucket of a pissing away points. Yes, I know they had a 1G lead in the 3rd, but this was a back and forth game where both teams held a lead and it was tight and evenly played. It was pretty even and took a deflection and weird bounce. Canes are playing good hockey and are a tough team to play against right now. Need to continue to build on that and try to improve the overall talent level in the offseason.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
that was a tough loss....Caps took cheap shots at Skinner every chance they got

That's how teams will play Skinner though. Try to hit him every chance you get to get under his skin to throw him off his game. Ristolainen did it last year and it worked. If I was a coach of an opposing team, I'd have my players try to hit him every chance they got. Teams know there is nobody on Carolina who is going to do anything about it as well.

Who knows, Skinner might have said/done something and gotten under their skin a bit as well which made them even more eager. My stream was pretty choppy, but I thought he handled it well.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don't think they can make the playoffs, that doesn't mean they aren't good/fun/enjoyable to watch. Hell if they were in the Central or Atlantic they'd be like 4th in the division.

This team continues to show thaty they can play with anybody. What more can you ask, really.

Yes, this is exactly my attitude/thoughts. My post was directed at the posts that reference losing the point and the playoff race specifically. They are 10 points out. Worry about the playoffs if they go on an insane run, but don't live and die with each game as if the playoffs are a realistic possibility.

Enjoy watching a good hockey team for once.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Yes, this is exactly my attitude/thoughts. My post was directed at the posts that reference losing the point and the playoff race specifically. They are 10 points out. Worry about the playoffs if they go on an insane run, but don't live and die with each game as if the playoffs are a realistic possibility.

Enjoy watching a good hockey team for once.

Thing is it would be if they didn't keep doing this ****. It's easy to isolate one game and say "it was just one pint" but it's really not

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Thing is it would be if they didn't keep doing this ****. It's easy to isolate one game and say "it was just one pint" but it's really not

That's true, but I don't consider this game "blowing a point". Yeah, I get that they had a lead in the 3rd, but this was an evenly matched game in which the lead changed hands 3 times and neither team could pull away.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
That's true, but I don't consider this game "blowing a point". Yeah, I get that they had a lead in the 3rd, but this was an evenly matched game in which the lead changed hands 3 times and neither team could pull away.

We had the lead and couldn't close it out. I don't know how many times this can happen and it be excused over and over again because it was "close". **** yeah it was close. Every ****ing game in the league is close. I'm going to absolutely hate this offseason with another round of lamenting over those "one goal games"

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
We had the lead and couldn't close it out. I don't know how many times this can happen and it be excused over and over again because it was "close". **** yeah it was close. Every ****ing game in the league is close. I'm going to absolutely hate this offseason with another round of lamenting over those "one goal games"

We have an average / below average team and average teams don't close out EVERY SINGLE game. I'm not excusing every case because there are CLEARLY some where they blew it, I'm saying I don't put this game into a category of "blowing points". If you disagree, that's fine.

We have below average forward talent on this team, we have above average (but young and inexperienced) defense on this team, we have average - below average goaltending on this team. We are an average team and will likely have average results.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
We have an average / below average team and average teams don't close out EVERY SINGLE game. I'm not excusing every case because there are CLEARLY some where they blew it, I'm saying I don't put this game into a category of "blowing points". If you disagree, that's fine.

We have below average forward talent on this team, we have above average (but young and inexperienced) defense on this team, we have average - below average goaltending on this team. We are an average team and will likely have average results.

You've seen the stats we have going in to the third with the lead. Don't act like I'm asking them to close out EVERY SINGLE GAME. Those aren't average stats. 13/18 losses are by one goal. That points directly to not being able to get it done in crunch time

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You've seen the stats we have going in to the third with the lead. Don't act like I'm asking them to close out EVERY SINGLE GAME.

I'm really not talking about every single game, I'm specifically talking about this 1, single game. Here's where I'm coming from. Even the best teams lose some games when they've had a lead in the 3rd. We are an average/below team and I expect we'll lose a few more. This is the exact type of game I'd expect them could lose in that scenario. A tight, back and forth game against a top team where both teams had chances, some lucky/unlucky bounces and it went back and forth. Do I like it? No, but it's not unexpected.

The games I don't expect to lose are the ones like WPG, VAN, NYR, etc.. where the Canes EITHER had a big lead OR were vastly outplaying the other team. Those, I agree 100% on, I just don't see this game the same way. So don't act like I'm excusing the broader issue, I'm not, I'm talking about 1 particular game and how I see it differently. Again, if you disagree and want to blow a gasket about it, that's fine.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'm really not talking about every single game, I'm specifically talking about this 1, single game. Here's where I'm coming from. Even the best teams lose some games when they've had a lead in the 3rd. We are an average/below team and I expect we'll lose a few more. This is the exact type of game I'd expect them could lose in that scenario. A tight, back and forth game against a top team where both teams had chances, some lucky/unlucky bounces and it went back and forth. Do I like it? No, but it's not unexpected.

The games I don't expect to lose are the ones like WPG, VAN, NYR, etc.. where the Canes EITHER had a big lead OR were vastly outplaying the other team. Those, I agree 100% on, I just don't see this game the same way. So don't act like I'm excusing the broader issue, I'm not, I'm talking about 1 particular game and how I see it differently. Again, if you disagree and want to blow a gasket about it, that's fine.
I'm blowing a gasket? :laugh:

Okay, you're right. You always make an effort to get the last word in so I'll just stop here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad