Speculation: The ''Future''

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hypothetical: Oilers win draft lottery, team that has pick #2 calls...

...and says, we'll give you the other pick in exchange for Taylor Hall.

This would give the Oilers the ability to draft McDavid + Eichel.

Would you do it?

What if they asked for Hall + 2016 1st?

McDavid projects to be a generational talent.

Eichel is just a little bit behind, but he brings other things to the table.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
No I will not do it. With this, we will have 3 star centres (McDavid, Eichel and RNH) and one promising centre (Drai) plus Gordon.

We are definitely weakening our wings with trading away Hall.

Now the question is how Hall is going to adapt to the new life style if we have McDavid.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
They're both touted as generational and aren't signed to huge contracts + full ELC. Our rebuild has been a complete failure and seeing Hall leave for a player who'd be taken over him in his draft year is a no brainer for me. I don't know much about the 2016 draft but I'd take your deal in a heartbeat. I like Hall but 2 elite centre prospects are just too much to pass up.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No I will not do it. With this, we will have 3 star centres (McDavid, Eichel and RNH) and one promising centre (Drai) plus Gordon.

Now the question is how Hall is going to adapt to the new life style if we have McDavid.

It gives you a lot more flexibility though.

You could put any of those centers on the wing, for example.

Not saying that is the justification for doing it, but it is something to consider.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Since centers can easily be moved over to the wing and tend to be more responsible 2-way players, I don't see a problem here.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Rather keep Hall

But if they asked for RNH(more likely since they'd be giving up a center in the draft), I'd be all for it.

CornWillis

Dec 3, 2014
There is no way this would happen but you could draft McDavid + Hanafin or trade the 2nd pick away.

Either way 2015 2nd overall>>>>Hall

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Sorry I think this is about as likely as the Penguins calling up and saying they'll trade us Malkin for Perron and a 2nd round pick. We see it every year and no surprise that this year it's even more tempting to get the best players in the draft but nobody ever trades draft picks that could be for generational players, heck they dont even trade them for less hyped drafts.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'd trade anything for McDavid, but I'm just not as high on Eichel. Maybe the WJC will change that for me.

I'm not opposed to trading Hall, but I'd only consider it for McDavid or a #1 D-man package

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I'd trade anything for McDavid, but I'm just not as high on Eichel. Maybe the WJC will change that for me.

I'm not opposed to trading Hall, but I'd only consider it for McDavid or a #1 D-man package

This. Having McDavid as our #1, RNH as #2, Draisatl as #3, and Gordon #4 would be a solid center group for once.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I would rather trade down to #2 and pick up a good defenseman + Eichel

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
I am pretty sure this tanking has to do with Ginger Kid.

When Katz walk into the house, his boy said. Do you know what i want for my birthday,

DK: What son
GK: I want to go to NHL draft this year again to the podium and able to draft McDavid.

ld.jpg

Jul 19, 2012

Would you do it?

Not going to happen. Eichel is reported to be a "generational talent" plus he is a centre, and Taylor Hall is not. He is a top LW when on his game. But you dont build teams around left wings as Washington is finding out.

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780

Would you do it?

If this happens (which it won't) you gotta draft both and swap eichel for a #1 d. Easier said than done though

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

Its easier to switch a C to wing than it is the other way around, many successful teams have guys who are both making there lines more versatile

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Drafting only young, skilled forwards has gotten us into this mess. Trading Hall for more of the same would be ridiculous. If we trade Hall, it needs to be for defense help, not another rookie forward, even if it is a generational talent.

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
Drafting only young, skilled forwards has gotten us into this mess. Trading Hall for more of the same would be ridiculous. If we trade Hall, it needs to be for defense help, not another rookie forward, even if it is a generational talent.

So, Hall for Giordano then? ;)

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I would trade Hall for the 1st pick in this year's draft. I wouldn't trade him for the 2nd, and I certainly wouldn't trade Hall+ for the 2nd.

Hall is 23 years old and is already arguably the best player in the league at his position. Any rebuild (re-rebuild?) that would see McDavid as the centerpiece would still be best served with Hall as a major part of it.

If McDavid is really the next franchise-changing prospect ala Crosby as he's been touted as since as far back as I can recall, then we'll want to surround him with more players in the current core's age range than McDavid's age group.

The Penguins were a lottery team in Crosby's rookie year, a playoff team when he was a sophomore, and were contenders by his 3rd year. In McDavid's 3rd year, our current "core" group would be Hall-26, Nuge-25, Yakupov-24, Eberle-27, Schultz-27, Draisaitl-22. That's still a group in the infancy of their prime years. There's no reason to push that cluster back farther by moving out Hall for a player who, in all likelihood, wouldn't be as good as him at that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad