Speculation: The ''Future''

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
While we're needing something positive to look forward to right now, there are 50+ games left this season.

We will probably not get McDavid or Eichel, trying to cash that check now is a waste of everyone's time.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Don't get your hopes up I will be willing to bet we don't get either of the top two guys.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lets say hypothetically the Oilers get McDavid. And he steps in right away into the NHL. And then gets a 6 million dollar contract at the end of his ELC.

That's almost 4 years from now.... The Oilers only have 4 players even under contract for that long from now. Eberle will be a year from UFA. Hall 2.

You're looking way to far into the future.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
This won't be a problem until 2017-2018. When Draisaitl and whomever we pick in the 1st round this year become RFA

I think wait and see approach applies here. :)

Who knows what the cap will be at that time as well.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think it's guaranteed we don't get McDavid no matter where we finish. Lottery is behind closed doors, they won't allow the Oilers to get a 4th #1 pick in 6 years. Rules still allow us to get Eichel though if we manage to be dead last.

I think Yak will get a manageable contract. Ebs might be the guy to go if we run into cap issues.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
If Yakupov stays where he's at in terms of production, etc... he's worth what? 1.2 mil a year? Less?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
If Yakupov stays where he's at in terms of production, etc... he's worth what? 1.2 mil a year? Less?

I think the idea would be that as he plays with a better center ie nuge mcdavid or a more developed drai his production would go up. This is a speculation thread however and there are absolutely no guarantees that any of those things would happen.

As of right now yea, thats probably his worth. But don't forget he has a very active and pushy agent who would probably not be afraid to threaten a KHL move to get Yak a better contract.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Oilers are getting McDavid, and RNH and Draisaitl stick here around, I want Thornton on the team. I don't care how. We desperately need that kind of insulation for the young guns. Hall, Eberle, and Schultz can be had for a #1 and #2 D.

So fed up of this crap and I'm got the next game to go to.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We don't have to worry about Yak, he is gone the moment he scores a few goals.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
I think if we get McDavid there's going to have to be a big trade for a top pairing dman. I think probably 2 of Yak, Eberle and Draisaitl could go. I'd keep RNH, because you don't want to be relying completely on rookies. Even Hall though could be traded if it was for an elite dman.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers will sit back and make that decision in three years if it comes to that.

Also, lol at $6 million for McDavid ... try like $8.5 million minimum to start with if he actually is worth the hype.

$6 million is nothing in the new cap era, Stamkos will be making $11 million on his next contract. Book it.

But the cap should rise in that time also.

I don't think the Oilers will trade any of them though. They will keep RNH/McDavid/Draisaitl until they know what they have there. For all we know having three good centers might be the key to winning a Cup like Pittsburgh and LA, so I don't think the Oilers will just make trades there without really seeing what they have there first.

Perron + Schultz + EDM 2nd will likely be used to get a d-man. Yakupov may be put onto the block also.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
If Oilers are getting McDavid, and RNH and Draisaitl stick here around, I want Thornton on the team. I don't care how. We desperately need that kind of insulation for the young guns. Hall, Eberle, and Schultz can be had for a #1 and #2 D.

The only way Thornton is coming here is by gun-point. What would possess a guy in the twilight of his career with a few years on his contract and a NTC to come to this gong show?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

RNH needs to step up in this scenario. He's not a baby anymore, next year will be his 5th year in the league.

He should be able to shelter McDavid and Leon.

Getting a proper coach who is hard on these guys and weeds out bad habits but doesn't go over the line is more of a key.

Bob Hartley does that in Calgary. Like who is sheltering Monahan there? He's had to shelter Jooris, lol, but it works because their coaching staff is top notch.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Four years from now shouldn't be an issue, but maybe 6 years from now when the Oilers have to worry about paying three more first overall picks on their second contract.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Four years from now shouldn't be an issue, but maybe 6 years from now when the Oilers have to worry about paying three more first overall picks on their second contract.

In a few years actually we'll probably be saying that Hall and RNH are locked in for ridiculously cheap deals.

You're going to see a lot more $8/$9/$10/$11 million contracts in the coming years, Toews + Kane at $10.5 mill is just the start. Stamkos will get even more.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If we are drafting 1st overall, stuff has to get done. You suddenly have assets to build a respectable back end. Maybe no #1/2 but a solid top 4 with xx/xx, Klef/Marincin Fayne, Aulie Ference. I'd offer a UFA dman a large chunk of money to come here, specifically someone like Sekera. If we're going to overpay a player it needs to be a solid known quantity.

Nikitin will have to be bought out or traded and Schultz traded if he doesn't spontaneously become decent, if no big takers I'd contemplate moving him to forward to replace someone traded. He's currently not a Dman worth having on the back end.

I'd also consider trading down to 2nd OA if the team in possession of the 2nd OA is willing to pay a kings ransom (say Arizona for example if they slid, esp to boost sales) for a gen talent. Eichel or McDavid the difference to me isn't significant enough to not think about it.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
If we drafted McDavid, I would be looking to trade RNH within a couple years, once McDavid has been established enough to hold a #1C spot (which shouldn't be long, if done correctly). You can't run three #1 C (RNH,McDavid,Draisaitl) on one team, regardless of what others say. People will bring up Colorado and such, but look how they've been doing. #1 C's require a sufficient ice time and quality teammates, and there's only 60 minutes of ice time in a game, it just wouldn't work.

RNH and McDavid share a similar skill set, with McDavid being obviously better. Draisaitl offers a more diverse skill set, making him a good choice for the #2C.

I would trade RNH for a top 2 D.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

You think Yakupov is going to sign here with the crap fest hes been dealt? Larionov will get him moved.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If we draft Mcdavid a few guys will be traded somewhere down the line for depth at other positions.

Even if we don't draft him I'm convinced that we'll trade of the kids. At least one.

Jul 19, 2012
Like LA did with Jack Johnson you move a piece to gain a piece. The more assets a team has the more options it has, hence our dilemma, we don't habe a lot of assets. Our cap problem is not the movable contracts like the 6 million dollar men but the unmovable ones like Nikitin Pouliot and Purcell.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If we drafted McDavid, I would be looking to trade RNH within a couple years, once McDavid has been established enough to hold a #1C spot (which shouldn't be long, if done correctly). You can't run three #1 C (RNH,McDavid,Draisaitl) on one team, regardless of what others say. People will bring up Colorado and such, but look how they've been doing. #1 C's require a sufficient ice time and quality teammates, and there's only 60 minutes of ice time in a game, it just wouldn't work.

RNH and McDavid share a similar skill set, with McDavid being obviously better. Draisaitl offers a more diverse skill set, making him a good choice for the #2C.

I would trade RNH for a top 2 D.

Forget Colorado. Look at San Jose: Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski are all natural centers. All are better than anything we've got here right now. There is not a single thing wrong with moving someone to the wing.

Maybe one day you do trade one of them. But you better be damned sure you are keeping established guys and not trading a player like RNH before you are 100% sure with what you've got in Draisaitl and whoever else you draft this upcoming year. Draisaitl looks to be at least a few years before he becomes a consistent offensive threat in this league. Who knows with whoever the Oilers drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad