The future of the Ottawa Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
But if a new owner is willing to invest in the team first and show fans they are serious then I am quite confident attendance rates and revenue will rise. Short term pain for long term gain.
It will be hard for profits to rise, with 30 million a year including interest ,for 30 years going to a new building. Maybe more if amortized over a shorter time.

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It will be hard for revenue to rise, with 30 million a year including interest ,for 30 years going to a new building. Maybe more if amortized over a shorter time.
Revenues will definitely being going up; its profit that will take a time to be realized.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
As others have said - news to me there was a viable plan to buy the team out of bankruptcy that wasn't Melnyk. Puts to rest the idea he "saved the team" which was one of the big points people tried to make immediately after his death to try and cover for his more recent escapades like voicing support for office-place-sexual-harasser Bill O'Reilly, his threat to move the team, the abusive behavior on his part, etc... Kind of surprised that made it into Garrioch's article.

Then he states the obvious - the estate needs to be settled, the NHL was more concerned with making sure the operations of the Senators organization didn't seize up with Melnyk's death.

There's a bunch of fluff like "oh they're not selling and things are going great and there's been no internal talk of a sale". LOL. I mean okay, maybe there isn't "daily meeting on sale of team" in their outlook calendars but give me a break. The owner is dead. His daughters are likely staring down a massive tax on the estate given he bought it out of bankruptcy and most appraisers are going to value the Senators at hundreds of millions more than what they were bought at. I would also bet the organization is highly leveraged so not in the best of shape.

I guess that leaves me with one other small thing worth mentioning assuming Garrioch cuddling up with Melnyk got him legit info: while Melnyk talked about keeping the team in the family Garrioch mentions talk of "bringing in partners". Which suggests at the very least his daughters could sell a significant stake of the team to an outside buyer.

I'm just hoping we'll see some sort of action before the end of summer and progress on a downtown arena bid.
Melnyk bought the team for a song

I think Nelson Peltz was interested but wanted to move the team

And yes Bryden wanted to buy the team but his concept was ridiculous. Basically all debts written off and he ends up with the team with no further investment. I could have bought the damn team on those terms. If melnyk bought it for a song, Bryden was looking to buy it for half a verse

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
I think it was Friendman who pegged the revenue from a Sens game a $400 000 (before the attendance pause). At 41 games that's about $16.5 million assuming we had fans for all games.

The leafs are something like $3-4 million a game or $120-160 million before playoffs.

So yes, with TV, league subsidies, and our ticket base we can fund a payroll off $65 million and lose money.
$400,000 in revenue for the average game is way off. This seasons average is 12k (the under 10k shown in attendance averages includes the games with 500 fans - thus is skewed). Simple math would tell us that the average is way higher than the $400k number + games against the Leafs and Habs bring in around $3M per (give or take).

Even if you lower the average game attendance, it’s hard to realistically come out with $400,000 in revenue.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sold the horse farm and I assume the 500 horses. Has the Beauty products like you mentioned, and Neurolign Technologies.
My understanding is he got out of the horse racing industry

Last I read, he was planning to develop the farm acreage in to a residential community

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Reactions: JD1 and Yak

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Peltz was bidding with Bryden and pulled out because the complicated tax scheme being proposed was deemed too risky by his American legal team that wasn't familiar with Canadian tax laws, at least that was the story last I heard.
Ya, that may be. It was a long time ago and I didn't google anything to read up on it. I just remembered the 3 names and Bryden basically wanting something for nothing

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think it was Friendman who pegged the revenue from a Sens game a $400 000 (before the attendance pause). At 41 games that's about $16.5 million assuming we had fans for all games.

The leafs are something like $3-4 million a game or $120-160 million before playoffs.

So yes, with TV, league subsidies, and our ticket base we can fund a payroll off $65 million and lose money.
It was 650K and based on average attendance. You do you though.

Reactions: MCNSTY

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I went to a game in Dallas, had a huge walk up wasn't in the middle of no where and there were a bunch of reataurants/bars to go to before and after.
Dallas is notorious for not having a concentrated downtown core or entertainment district. It's a bit of a big city without a soul that way. I've been to a dozen Stars games or so and the arena and the AAC is not surrounded by much other than highways, offices and parking lots. It surprised me because House of Blues is right around the corner and you would think that would help define the area. That said, this was 10 years ago, perhaps it has changed.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
$400,000 in revenue for the average game is way off. This seasons average is 12k (the under 10k shown in attendance averages includes the games with 500 fans - thus is skewed). Simple math would tell us that the average is way higher than the $400k number + games against the Leafs and Habs bring in around $3M per (give or take).

Even if you lower the average game attendance, it’s hard to realistically come out with $400,000 in revenue.

the Sens average attendance before Covid was down below 10000 (not 12). They had a recent spike but they also had a lot of refund tickets/credits that boosted later games. They also had 2 for 1 tickets for the last two months.

Freidman quoted the number on a broadcast in the fall. it’s his number. I didn’t make it up. 9000 fans paying $45 US/CDN doesn’t feel that far off. We had 6000+ Back in the fall some games.

Realistically this market probably paid out $15-20 million in ticket revenue this year.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It was 650K and based on average attendance. You do you though.

Wonderful - so glad you could clarify. So $26 million or so if we had fans for all games ? Is that Us or CDN? Either way it’s peanuts.

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk would have a hard time playing. According to Elliotte Friedman, the Sens bring in $650,000 in revenue each home game, significantly less than any other Canadian team. (from ‘32 Thoughts: Without Olympics, NHL/NHLPA must plan for next World Cup,’ Sportsnet, Dec. 21, 2021)

The future of this team needs more than $26 million from its ticket base - that hardly pays the cost of a new $1 billion at arena with a 30 year life span.

Last edited:

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
the Sens average attendance before Covid was down below 10000 (not 12). They had a recent spike but they also had a lot of refund tickets/credits that boosted later games. They also had 2 for 1 tickets for the last two months.

Freidman quoted the number on a broadcast in the fall. it’s his number. I didn’t make it up. 9000 fans paying $45 US/CDN doesn’t feel that far off. We had 6000+ Back in the fall some games.

Realistically this market probably paid out $15-20 million in ticket revenue this year.
Average attendance was over 11k before COVID brought them down to 500 fans per game - there has since been a spike (for the variety of reasons that you noted).

They were never averaging below 10k prior. I was someone who watched attendance numbers very closely prior. They had a few games in the 9000s (2-3), but never averaged that. Only team averaging below 10k was Buffalo (which they still are).

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Average attendance was over 11k before COVID brought them down to 500 fans per game - there has since been a spike (for the variety of reasons that you noted).

They were never averaging below 10k prior. I was someone who watched attendance numbers very closely prior. They had a few games in the 9000s (2-3), but never averaged that. Only team averaging below 10k was Buffalo (which they still are).

maybe … we had a thread running about game attendance until the moderator closed it (Apparenlty not relevant) … I updated it daily until it got shut down.

I apologize if I misremember - but I was pretty sure we had some really low games, well below 9000. The post I had running had the daily account before the first Covid pause.

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
maybe … we had a thread running about game attendance until the moderator closed it (Apparenlty not relevant) … I updated it daily until it got shut down.

I apologize if I misremember - but I was pretty sure we had some really low games, well below 9000. The post I had running had the daily account before the first Covid pause.
No worries! We definitely had a few below the 10k (something like 2-3 after a quick look at each game) - just took a look and the lowest I saw in my quick scan was around 9,000 (didn’t see anything well below that but maybe I missed one). The other 2 (or so) were closer to 9,500-10,000. Total average was definitely in the 11,000-11,500 range, though.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Wonderful - so glad you could clarify. So $26 million or so if we had fans for all games ? Is that Us or CDN? Either way it’s peanuts.

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk would have a hard time playing. According to Elliotte Friedman, the Sens bring in $650,000 in revenue each home game, significantly less than any other Canadian team. (from ‘32 Thoughts: Without Olympics, NHL/NHLPA must plan for next World Cup,’ Sportsnet, Dec. 21, 2021)

The future of this team needs more than $26 million from its ticket base - that hardly pays the cost of a new $1 billion at arena with a 30 year life span.
And now with new ownership attendance will climb. There is a fresh feeling around the Sens which should continue to grow.

Reactions: MCNSTY

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Im so happy we are living in this era new ownership on the horizon and it’s not just stupid rumours anymore

Praying the grass is greener, though.

With the core we have, Stutzle and co emerging at the time they are, if we have a buyer who makes us a cap team, we can be a contender for the next decade.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Don't have time to read, but I'm going to assume the same old poster(s) who said the Senators are a bad investment are performing mental gymnastics to reconcile why multiple parties might be interested in buying said bad investment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad