The future of the Ottawa Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
Dallas, no real downtown.
it was several years ago now, but I went to Vegas with some friends and then over to Dallas to catch a Jays game. Our hotel was right in what is presumably the downtown and it was 4th of July weekend. We asked the desk clerk at the hotel where to go for some fun and he looked as us like we had two heads.

We got a cab who drove us around for a half hour and dropped us off at what can best be described as a small road house. We grabbed a beer and sat at a picnic table. a local was sitting behind us so I asked him where to go for fun he says "i've live here for 30 years and this is where I am"

Reactions: PlayersLtd

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
it was several years ago now, but I went to Vegas with some friends and then over to Dallas to catch a Jays game. Our hotel was right in what is presumably the downtown and it was 4th of July weekend. We asked the desk clerk at the hotel where to go for some fun and he looked as us like we had two heads.

We got a cab who drove us around for a half hour and dropped us off at what can best be described as a small road house. We grabbed a beer and sat at a picnic table. a local was sitting behind us so I asked him where to go for fun he says "i've live here for 30 years and this is where I am"
Rangers Stadium and new Cowboys Stadium are in Arlington. I lived down there at the time when they were expropriating the land for Cowboys. It was a depressed area of the city many years before with just a 6 Flags in between Dallas and Fort Worth. It was all built there for the strategic nature of infrastructure and also being in the middle of the metroplex. Little night life as the idea is to easily get people in and out, not keep them there. They deal with much larger events than an NHL game however…

if you are ever there again just jump a cab to sundance square or the stockyards in Fort Worth. Will be your best bet depending on what vibe you want. DFW is the definition of urban sprawl therefore it doesn’t really have many concentrated bar areas.

Reactions: bert

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
Rangers Stadium and new Cowboys Stadium are in Arlington. I lived down there at the time when they were expropriating the land for Cowboys. It was a depressed area of the city many years before with just a 6 Flags in between Dallas and Fort Worth. It was all built there for the strategic nature of infrastructure and also being in the middle of the metroplex. Little night life as the idea is to easily get people in and out, not keep them there. They deal with much larger events than an NHL game however…

if you are ever there again just jump a cab to sundance square or the stockyards in Fort Worth. Will be your best bet depending on what vibe you want. DFW is the definition of urban sprawl therefore it doesn’t really have many concentrated bar areas.
I did walk over to Dealey Plazza and do some JFK assassination research, so there was that.

when we were heading out to Arlington we asked the hotel dude where to grab a bus or train or whatever. he told us there was none of that because "everyone here just drives". cab it we did. Nice stadium.

Reactions: coladin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Weird article that strikes a defensive tone from someone that ostensibly has no stake in the matter, nor any say. Bruce being Bruce I guess.
I see it as he is making an attempt at clarifying and toning down the fake news around the sale… or maybe is Bruce is so out of the picture he doesn’t know anything or anyone inside the organization

Time will tell

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe population for each of those neibourhoods would help too, Barrhaven has 24k households and 60k people, while the Glebe is probably closer to 13k people.

Barhaven might not be the best comparison given its neutral in terms of distance but you get the point
Neutral in distance sure but not neutral from a venue stand point. It's a terrible experience going to the CTC. Nothing is walking distance. No entertainment, no night life no restaurants.

Every single neighborhood except Kanata benefits from a downtown location.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

If you were downtown, then Deep Ellum is the (nearest) district for entertainment restaurants, etc. Its not that far from downtown, but it's not downtown. There is also the West End which is basically downtown as well and where Kennedy got shot. You are correct, the downtown is basically a business district with high-rise buildings. Its not really an area you'd hang out in. Dallas covers a very large area and is spread out, so it has districts versus one central area where things are concentrated.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see it as he is making an attempt at clarifying and toning down the fake news around the sale… or maybe is Bruce is so out of the picture he doesn’t know anything or anyone inside the organization

Time will tell
What fake news? That people are interested in buying the team should the two daughters be willing to sell? Seems like a loaded claim, anytime I hear someone throw out the fake new line, my eyes roll... it's lost any meaning to the point where it often means the exact opposite.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Sens aren't for sale....

Bruce inadvertently trashed Melnyk's legacy with that article. You know how everyone praised him for saving the team and keeping it in Ottawa because no one else would?

Greenberg said he tried to help former Ottawa owner Rod Bryden buy the Senators out of bankruptcy in 2003 but that bid was unsuccessful.

So much for that story.

Assen na yo!

ksens

Mar 8, 2006

Time will tell

Hahahaha fake news.

All Garrioch says is "There’s been no indication whatsoever that Melnyk’s daughters, Anna and Olivia, plan to sell the team.". Of course you could also write that as "There’s been no indication whatsoever that Melnyk’s daughters, Anna and Olivia, don't plan to sell the team." In other words there have been no news whatsoever, which is of exactly zero surprise since it will take the lawyers months to wind down the estate. Bruce just has a very transparent agenda here, which is why anything coming out of his mouth on this topic is worthless.

Controlling interest in the team will be sold.

Reactions: DrEasy

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Garrioch lost all credibility in this particular discussion when he tweeted a knee-jerk defensive reaction to Greenberg’s comments that made it clear he didn’t actually listen to the comments first.

He lost all credibility as a journalist in general terms years ago. He’s a sports pundit. Which is a fine, but entirely different job.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Garrioch lost all credibility in this particular discussion when he tweeted a knee-jerk defensive reaction to Greenberg’s comments that made it clear he didn’t actually listen to the comments first.

He lost all credibility as a journalist in general terms years ago. He’s a sports pundit. Which is a fine, but entirely different job.
He did the same about Vegas not knowing something Cap Friendly does, failing to understand Cap Friendly had no clue other than the original contract terms

Knee jerk defensive stance without even knowing the details of the issue

ksens

Mar 8, 2006

Garrioch has spent the last two decades crawling so far up Melnyks (and then Dorions) ass that he can't see the sun. He knows the team will be sold and that gravy train is going to come to an end, and he is railing against it. He also knows he spent 20 years protecting Melnyks image to keep his cozy position rather than revealing who he actually was, and thus is complicit in allowing everything in the Athletic article to continue to happen. He needs to be done yesterday.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Ya, I was also going to say that Fort Worth is more interesting than downtown Dallas for sure. I used to live in a small town west of Fort Worth.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Hahahaha fake news.

All Garrioch says is "There’s been no indication whatsoever that Melnyk’s daughters, Anna and Olivia, plan to sell the team.". Of course you could also write that as "There’s been no indication whatsoever that Melnyk’s daughters, Anna and Olivia, don't plan to sell the team." In other words there have been no news whatsoever, which is of exactly zero surprise since it will take the lawyers months to wind down the estate. Bruce just has a very transparent agenda here, which is why anything coming out of his mouth on this topic is worthless.

Controlling interest in the team will be sold.
Ya, "trusts" (I'm assuming there's a trust) usually take some time to resolve. The ones I've witnessed took about 1 - 1.5 years and didn't involve a large business either. I'll guess that the interim management group will be running things for awhile.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
When it comes to Sens attendance, I think every single reason given for poor attendance is true to some extent. That is, there aren’t one or two reasons, there’s about 20.

Which means that one or two fixes won’t suffice.
Actually 2 fixes that will make a difference would be a 1)"deep pocketed" owner that is hands off , hires great people and willing to spend to the cap and 2) a winning team that makes the playoffs.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad